References for effect of alcohol on T/E ratio

DMF

Oct 3, 2003
Below I post excerpts from this article in yesterday's Online Edition of the Wall Street Journal. There's been an ongoing controversy about the validity of the "30-200%" effect buried in a nearby thread. I think this is of interest to all. [Note that the link expires after 7 days.]

A handful of other studies ... have confirmed [the alcohol] effect, but they've generally been limited to just a few participants, and they've found differing results. A 1996 study by researchers at the German Sport University in Cologne found an average increase in T/E ratio of 300% to 400% among six female volunteers and an average increase of 50% to 100% among five males. (The men's results were all over the place, ranging from a decrease of 40% to an increase of 300%).

"The influence was statistically significant," Mario Thevis, professor for preventive doping research at German Sport University, told me. (I wasn't able to read the study myself, as it's not available online.) Dr. Bjorkhem said that the late German drug-testing expert Manfred Donike also confirmed the result several times, but didn't publish all of these findings.

A 2001 review of the literature conducted by Simon Davis, then a postdoctoral student at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in Berkeley, Calif., found alcohol-induced increases in the T/E ratio ranging from 30% to 277%.

Please read the article for a discussion of the validity of these numbers.

Note that I am not claiming - nor, afaik, is anyone else - that the alcohol effect proves that Mr. Landis didn't dope. Rather that the found T/E ratio does not prove that he did.