Reflections of aging...

basso97 said:
p.s. Just because you find it on the web does not make it so. Nor does repeating it often make it so.
Not that it really matters, because it doesn't, but Yonge St. has held the distinction since it was mapped in the mid-1800's. About a hundred years later, sections of it were dually named Highway 11, for the legal purpose of allowing higher speed-limits. In some towns along the route, Yonge St. continues as the main street or one of the principle streets. Many of our streets, even within city limits, are also designated highways for the same reason. It's not simply a matter of finding claims on the internet as it has been known as the world's longest street for about 150 years and is on official government documentation.

What I was surprised at, however, was discovering 'world's longest street' was not a category in Guinness. Maybe it's because the definition of a street likely changes from country to country, so it's difficult to determine. I'm checking the complete 2004 Guiness book tomorrow, just for my own curiosity.

But hey, it matters not. ;) Thanks for the note about the ride. It was killer but it was fun. Wish I could do it again, but I doubt the girls will be as drawn to a bald 42 year-old guy on a cruiser as they were to a long-haired 20 year-old on a touring bike. LOL.

Ahhhhhh...memories

Alpha said:
45 years old and I feel more like a kid now than I ever did. I ride as much as possible and can't wait for spring. I started riding 8 or 9 years ago. Before then I could never figure out why someone would wilfully ride 100 km. I did not take long for me to realize the peace, time to think, fresh air and, of course, the need for speed. My 14 year old daughter has starting riding with me, which makes it all that much better!
I hear that! My 11 year-old son has become just as enthusiastic as I am and has even developed a taste for cruisers and choppers like his old man (as opposed to that 'need for speed'). It's costing us a mint expanding our collection (we're up to six bikes between the two of us), but it makes us itchy to ride every second we can, so I suppose it's worth it. An awesome way to spend quality time too.

Re-defining aging, about time! There is a huge amount of age related research in the area of declining capabilities as we age.

Plenty of research shows that fit master athletes can maintain little loss(down to 2%) of aerobic capacity between 40 and 50 years of age! Also research shows the same relative response to training, in masters and in their younger counterparts, so its never to late to get started.
All work shows an increased decline in aerobic power when subjects get well into their 50's, but the "jury" is still somewhat out on the genetic causes vs. reduced training time and intensity. (1) is a quite interesting longitudinal paper showing very promising results!

So just keep pounding those pedals, we can still get within a few% of our genetic capabilities! check 42 year old Graeme Miller in 'The hard road', and watch him hammer 25 year olds into the ground :p Lovely stuff!

A few references:
(1)http://ageing.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/28/6/531?ijkey=012d26daaf2506c31f6dc0b31c8cb8669c49e43f&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha
(2)http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/104/12/1358
(3)http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/2/725
(4)http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/94/6/2406#B17

Don Quijote said:
WAY TO GO, Snyper!!! You are just like Lance Armstrong, who raced against cancer, and became the only all time 6 time TDF champion from our US of A!!!

Oh, well, I believe his courage, like yours, is INSPIRING and NOBLE, and unlike the old world cycling champions, Lance Armstrong is RE-DEFINING road cycling, taking our expectations and perceptions to a NEW LEVEL.
But you, fellow avid cyclist, you have also become an inspiration to me, and in those "bad days" of an achy back or plain "laziness", I can just remember your message and along with Lance Armstrong, continue to strive for excellence in all we do, and particularly persist upon faithful road cycling!
Thank you, Snyper! :cool: Don Q

Thanks for the positive post, bro! Just want to say that I'm no Lance! Hell, I'm Mexican!(Just joking-not the Mexican part, though) I do strongly agree with his work ethics. I am also prior service Marine and I firmly believe that Pain is Just Weakness leaving the Body! ANyway, keep up the positive and pedal on! :D

SALUD, VIGOR Y MAS VIDA, AMIGO Snyper! :cool: Don Q
snyper0311 said:
Thanks for the positive post, bro! Just want to say that I'm no Lance! Hell, I'm Mexican!(Just joking-not the Mexican part, though) I do strongly agree with his work ethics. I am also prior service Marine and I firmly believe that Pain is Just Weakness leaving the Body! ANyway, keep up the positive and pedal on! :D

EnigManiac said:
I hear that! My 11 year-old son has become just as enthusiastic as I am and has even developed a taste for cruisers and choppers like his old man (as opposed to that 'need for speed'). It's costing us a mint expanding our collection (we're up to six bikes between the two of us), but it makes us itchy to ride every second we can, so I suppose it's worth it. An awesome way to spend quality time too.
Cruisers, choppers or road it doesn't matter when it is time well spent with the kids. Enjoy it while you can. My 18 year old son used to ride with me but now it's work, girls, hockey and chillin'.

My little story:

A few years ago I entered for my first 100 mile ride (160km) with the CTC (British Cycle Touring Club). The event was the "Triennial Veteran's 100" open to over 50's only. I was one of the youngest at the time, being only a couple of years over the bottom limit.

I was towards the back of a group as we stopped at a pedestrian crossing to allow a little old lady to cross. I heard raised voices at the front followed by loud guffaws of laughter.

Apparently one of the riders made some rude comment about the time taken for the little old lady to totter across the road. The lady angrily waved her walking stick at the rider shouting "How dare you! You'll be a pensioner one day you know!". The ensuing laughter was because the naughty man who made the comment was only 78 years old and probably older than the pedestrian.

Just goes to show. It's all in the mind.

This brings to mind the famous Groucho Marx line: "You are only as old as the woman you feel".

I'm off to find an 18 year old. Today!

I wonder how much of this is part of the culture of us "baby-boomers." I'm 52 and just started getting into serious riding a couple of years ago. I have the same reasons for riding everyone else has already mentioned. I have a bad back and have been laid up for weeks in excrutiating pain. Since I've been riding my back has not bothered me much at all. I liked to tell people that I ride in spite of the pain, and in a way that is true. The thing is, as I become more fit, my pain is decreased because my muscles are holding my skeleton together better, reducing joint problems.

I enjoy very much being a part of this bicycling movement and I hope it rubs off on our kids.

www.lef.org probably should focus a tad less on the suppies and more on the exercize agnle. Guess suppies are more profitable for them though they are a non profit.

I use to do a delevery route for a grocery store and the non smokers were in much better shape then the smokers. One nonsmoking gal I thougt was abusing the service for the elderly was 80 when I saw her obituary. Would have guessed she wasn't 65 yet. And one smoking gal who I thought was in her 80s died at 64.