UK and Europe · Public discussion

Reflections on first audax

Started by Richard Bates · · Last activity · 88 posts · 2,588 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 July 2004
Last activity
16 July 2004
Original author
Richard Bates
Posts
88
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,588
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 88
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "gavin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    A ride of a fixed length (usually metric) ridden within pre-arranged
    speeds usually organised within the ambit of Audax UK by independent
    volunteers.

    Audax UK has a comprehensive website but I've lot the most recent URL;
    Google should help.

    Thanks, Helen. Can I just ask what "within pre-arranged speeds" means?
    There's an upper speed limit????

    Yes. You have to pass through controls that are only open for a specific
    time-window. Too quick and you'll arrive before they open, so if you want
    your ride recognised you'll have to wait around until they do - which will
    reduce your average. The 'ordinary' ones (Brevet de Randonneur) for rides
    of less than 600k specify an average speed of between 14.3 - 15kph up to a
    max of 30kph (could be less), including stops. The 'beginner' ones, like
    the one I was on, (Brevet Populaire) can have a reduced minimum.

    The AUK site is at <http://www.audax.uk.net/>

    Rich

  2. "gavin" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A ride of a fixed length (usually metric) ridden within pre-arranged
    speeds usually organised within the ambit of Audax UK by independent
    volunteers.

    Audax UK has a comprehensive website but I've lot the most recent URL;
    Google should help.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, Helen. Can I just ask what "within pre-arranged speeds" means?
    There's an upper speed limit????

    Yes. Nobody is supposed to exceed an average of 30kph on any ride.
    Average speed includes rest stops & visits by the p*nct*r* fairy etc.
    Maximum and minimum speeds are advertised in the calendar (usu 15-30kph,
    less on some shorter 'brevet populaire' rides)

    Checkpoints ('controls'😉 have opening and closing times. At each, you
    should get your card signed, stamped and timed. You get your card at the
    start of the ride and sign & hand it in at the end. It then gets sent
    off for Validation and hopefully eventually returned to you. You can get
    cloth badges or metal medals for completing distances.

    www.audax.uk.net may cause you to spend much time online...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  3. gavin:

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, Helen. Can I just ask what "within pre-arranged speeds" means?
    There's an upper speed limit????

    That's exactly it - it's because it's a strictly amateur organisation and
    they don't want people to treat it as a race (there are no prizes for
    finishing first).

    However, the speed limits are typically 15-30km/h, which allows you to ride
    pretty quickly should you be so inclined. But that's not just your riding
    speed - it's your overall average, including rest/feeding stops (and sleep
    stops on longer events).

    The website is here:
    <URL:http://www.audax.uk.net/>

    d.

  4. gavin said:

    "Richard Goodman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Did my first audax today, 105k in not much over 4hrs

    Forgive my ignorance, but what is an audax? I have seen the term before but
    have never known what it actually means and have never got around to asking
    until now.

    While we're on the subject, is it pronounced "oww-dax" or "or-dax"?

    --
    Keith Willoughby
    Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

  5. Helen Deborah Vecht <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (MartinM)typed

    Quoted message said:

    "Simonb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    MartinM wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    A curious thing about Audax is that riders never refer to a ride as
    what it's called in the calendar but as e.g. "Pam's 400" but the
    organisers deserve all the publicity they get, such a lot of hard work
    and organising, I think I'd rather be riding all night than manning a
    control.

    Brings back memories...

    "Please don't roll your wet bike over my sleeping bag."
    "Sorry, I had no idea it was YOUR sleeping bag."

    (Wet overnight control -Marlow- on Windsor-Chester-Windsor 1995)

    They don't seem to do the WCW 600 anymore, Pam's was cancelled and the
    only one I ever did has gone now; hope there are some left by 2007.

  6. Keith Willoughby <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    gavin said:

    "Richard Goodman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Did my first audax today, 105k in not much over 4hrs

    Forgive my ignorance, but what is an audax? I have seen the term before but
    have never known what it actually means and have never got around to asking
    until now.

    While we're on the subject, is it pronounced "oww-dax" or "or-dax"?

    That's a tricky one, being a Latin student I would say OW, being
    English I would say OR and of course as it is a French invention you
    could say OH.

  7. Keith Willoughby <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : While we're on the subject, is it pronounced "oww-dax" or "or-dax"?

    I've heard both, but the former is more common IME.

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  8. gavin said:

    =

    Quoted message said:

    "Richard Goodman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Did my first audax today, 105k in not much over 4hrs


    =

    Quoted message said:

    Forgive my ignorance, but what is an audax? I have seen the term before=


    but

    Quoted message said:

    have never known what it actually means and have never got around to as=


    king

    Quoted message said:

    until now.


    My turn to be pedantic, but the events in the Audax UK calendar are
    actually 'randon=E9es a allure libre'. These are ridden at a rider's own =
    pace
    within fixed time limits.

    My understanding is that an Audax is ridden in groups at a fixed pace
    dictated by a 'captain'. Certainly I remember being told this 20-odd year=
    s
    ago by a grizzled old clubman.

    The PBP history here supports that view,
    http://www.pathcom.com/~ppiltch/pbphist.html.

  9. Mike K Smith:

    Quoted message said:

    My turn to be pedantic, but the events in the Audax UK calendar are


    actually 'randonées a allure libre'. These are ridden at a rider's own pace
    within fixed time limits.

    Yes, though 'randonée a allure libre' is a generic term that doesn't
    specifically describe AUK events (rather AUK events are a subset of all
    rides of this type). 'A allure libre' means 'at your own pace' and a
    'randonée' is any organised long distance ride, right? So, you can't
    strictly call an AUK event an 'Audax', but you can call it an 'Audax UK
    event'

    Quoted message said:

    My understanding is that an Audax is ridden in groups at a fixed pace


    dictated by a 'captain'.

    This fits with the description in the AUK handbook of the Audax regulations
    laid out by Henri Desgranges in 1904 (it also says that 'this method of
    riding is known today as Euraudax'😉.

    I like the explanation of why we refer to these events as Audax. Apparently,
    the Audax Club Parisien (ACP) was formed by people who had completed one of
    M.Desgranges' 200km rides, but then the club did something to upset
    Desgranges and he withdrew their right to organise Audax events (he 'owned'
    the regulations) and that's when they set up their own 'Brevet de
    Randonneur', which established the regulations that are still in force
    today. "It is these regulations that were later adopted by Audax UK and the
    name Audax in the title comes from the ACP not the style of the event."

    However, again according to the handbook, the idea of Audax was formulated
    in Italy in 1897. Participants had to walk, swim or cycle a set distance in
    14 hours (approximately the time from sunrise to sunset) and for cycling the
    distance was 200km.

    Quoted message said:

    Certainly I remember being told this 20-odd years


    ago by a grizzled old clubman.

    I don't think it serves any useful purpose to be too much of a purist about
    these things - it just sounds like snobbery.

    d.

  10. [email hidden] (MartinM)typed

    Quoted message said:

    Helen Deborah Vecht <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (MartinM)typed

    Quoted message said:

    "Simonb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...
    > MartinM wrote:
    >

    Quoted message said:

    A curious thing about Audax is that riders never refer to a ride as
    what it's called in the calendar but as e.g. "Pam's 400" but the
    organisers deserve all the publicity they get, such a lot of hard work
    and organising, I think I'd rather be riding all night than manning a
    control.

    Brings back memories...

    "Please don't roll your wet bike over my sleeping bag."
    "Sorry, I had no idea it was YOUR sleeping bag."

    (Wet overnight control -Marlow- on Windsor-Chester-Windsor 1995)

    Quoted message said:

    They don't seem to do the WCW 600 anymore, Pam's was cancelled and the
    only one I ever did has gone now; hope there are some left by 2007.

    1995 was the last W-C-W.
    I'm sure there'll be 600s run in a PBP year but it *is* dependent on
    volunteers...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  11. Mike K Smith <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    My turn to be pedantic, but the events in the Audax UK calendar are
    actually 'randon es a allure libre'.

    Yes but for the purposes of this NG it is acceptable IMO to call them
    Audaxes, especially as there are many other Randonees (I have ridden
    two this year) not organised by AUK.

    BTW I heard that the reason for the delay in Brevets coming back is
    that the are all being processed by an octogenarian gentleman in Paris
    so ;
    "Soyez patient svp" ;-)

  12. "davek" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    gavin:

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, Helen. Can I just ask what "within pre-arranged speeds" means?
    There's an upper speed limit????

    That's exactly it - it's because it's a strictly amateur organisation and
    they don't want people to treat it as a race (there are no prizes for
    finishing first).

    However, the speed limits are typically 15-30km/h, which allows you to


    ride

    Quoted message said:

    pretty quickly should you be so inclined. But that's not just your riding
    speed - it's your overall average, including rest/feeding stops (and sleep
    stops on longer events).

    The website is here:
    <URL:http://www.audax.uk.net/>

    Thanks for the replies, folks - I've got it now. Sounds a pretty interesting
    format.

    Regards,

    Gavin

  13. MartinM said:


    Mike K Smith <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    My turn to be pedantic, but the events in the Audax UK calendar are
    actually 'randon es a allure libre'.

    Yes but for the purposes of this NG it is acceptable IMO to call them
    Audaxes, especially as there are many other Randonees (I have ridden
    two this year) not organised by AUK.


    Fair cop, serves me right for being pedantic. I must admit I've always
    called them Audaxes, too.

  14. Richard Goodman said:

    Did my first audax today, 105k in not much over 4hrs, which I suppose
    wasn't too bad, although towards the end I was fading! Things I
    learnt:

    Having joined AUK back at the tail end of last year, I have so far failed to
    do a single event (hangs head in shame).

    My pal Dr. Cox is trying to persuade me to do E-L next year. Should I
    arrange to have him killed?

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
    ===========================================================

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Having joined AUK back at the tail end of last year, I have so far failed to
    do a single event (hangs head in shame).

    My pal Dr. Cox is trying to persuade me to do E-L next year. Should I
    arrange to have him killed?

    No. I've just set my sights on it, and may well attempt it on a bent
    (Depending on the condition of both myself and the bike by that point!).
    It's not that far surely.

    Jon

  16. "davek" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    gavin:

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, Helen. Can I just ask what "within pre-arranged speeds" means?
    There's an upper speed limit????

    That's exactly it - it's because it's a strictly amateur organisation and
    they don't want people to treat it as a race (there are no prizes for
    finishing first).

    Actually that's not strictly true, the CTC run a competition called
    the DATC which uses mostly AUK events organised by CTC DA's rather
    than cycling clubs, and you get so many points for finishing in the
    first 12 etc through the season. I believe it is fiercely competitive
    but has nothing to do with AUK and appears to be a bit of harmless fun
    between a few riders to add some spice to the season.

    look up DATC on ctc.org.uk

  17. [email hidden] (MartinM)typed

    Quoted message said:

    "davek" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    gavin:

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, Helen. Can I just ask what "within pre-arranged speeds" means?
    There's an upper speed limit????

    That's exactly it - it's because it's a strictly amateur organisation and
    they don't want people to treat it as a race (there are no prizes for
    finishing first).

    Quoted message said:

    Actually that's not strictly true, the CTC run a competition called
    the DATC which uses mostly AUK events organised by CTC DA's rather
    than cycling clubs, and you get so many points for finishing in the
    first 12 etc through the season. I believe it is fiercely competitive
    but has nothing to do with AUK and appears to be a bit of harmless fun
    between a few riders to add some spice to the season.

    Unless the DATC has changed since I did it (and was First Lady :-) ) You
    get the same points for completing the ride whether you come in first or
    last. The competitive bits of the DATC are obviously competitions, like
    map-reading or free-wheeling. You get more points for being 'placed'.

    I'll check with my spies in AUK & DATC...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  18. Jon Senior said:

    No. I've just set my sights on it, and may well attempt it on a bent
    (Depending on the condition of both myself and the bike by that
    point!). It's not that far surely.

    When They say Edinburgh-London, They actually mean "and back via a slightly
    circuitous route" 1400 km or thereabouts.

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
    ===========================================================

  19. Dave Larrington said:
    Jon Senior said:

    No. I've just set my sights on it, and may well attempt it on a bent
    (Depending on the condition of both myself and the bike by that
    point!). It's not that far surely.

    When They say Edinburgh-London, They actually mean "and back via a slightly
    circuitous route" 1400 km or thereabouts.

    I think Jon thought it stood for Edinburgh-Livingston.

    ;-)
    --
    Michael MacClancy
    Random putdown - "They never open their mouths without subtracting from
    the sum of human knowledge." - Thomas Brackett Reed
    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
    www.macclancy.co.uk

  20. [email hidden] (MartinM) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Keith Willoughby <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    gavin said:

    "Richard Goodman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Did my first audax today, 105k in not much over 4hrs

    Forgive my ignorance, but what is an audax? I have seen the term before but
    have never known what it actually means and have never got around to asking
    until now.

    While we're on the subject, is it pronounced "oww-dax" or "or-dax"?

    That's a tricky one, being a Latin student I would say OW, being
    English I would say OR and of course as it is a French invention you
    could say OH.

    I say Audax, as in Au Revoir. o-dax

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.