Hi one and all.

Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
it - anyone here know?

Thanks,

BtC

"Bill the Cat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kMa%[email protected]...
> Hi one and all.
>
> Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
> reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
> it - anyone here know?
>
> Thanks,
>
> BtC

Shop at night. With a torch. And your search shall be rewarded.

On 2008-05-28, Bill the Cat <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
> reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
> it - anyone here know?

I bought some at one of those car parts/accessories stores, I forget
which one.

--
John
The velorution will not be motorised!

On May 28, 8:48 pm, "Bill the Cat" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi one and all.
>
> Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
> reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
> it - anyone here know?

couple of thoughts:

Best place to get it is at a chandler - yachties use this stuff by the metre.

On May 28, 8:48 pm, "Bill the Cat" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi one and all.
>
> Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
> reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
> it - anyone here know?

couple of thoughts:

- local bunnings
- local 'safety work gear' shop. These seem to be more common lately

Chandlers tend to have it:
http://whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=144&item=191304&intAbsolutePage=1

and then there's always ebay

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Reflective-Workshop

duncan

"Tomasso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bill the Cat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:kMa%[email protected]...
>> Hi one and all.
>>
>> Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
>> reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can
>> buy it - anyone here know?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> BtC

> Shop at night. With a torch. And your search shall be rewarded.

A few years back when I was in Canberra I went to a factory in Queenbeyan
that make roadside signs and for $10 they gave me a whole stack of off cuts
of various colours (red, orange, white, green) that I then used to deck out
my bobblebee hardshell backpack. Can't remember the name of the place but
you might be able to turn up something similar near wherever you are
located??

Gags

"Bill the Cat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:kMa%[email protected]...
> Hi one and all.
>
> Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
> reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
> it - anyone here know?
>
> Thanks,
>
> BtC

I bought some at Autobarn.

Henry.

I use it but bear in mind that reflective tape only reflects light directly
back in a narrow beam from a light source, so doesnt make you any more
conspicuous from all other directions, and even a motorist may not see you
if the car head lights are low. Doesnt protect from side collisions at
intersections etc since the motorists only sees you at the last moment as
you move directly in front.

To see this shine a torch on a piece of reflective tape in the dark and then
move head off to one side of the torch, the tape disappears.

A good light with a fairly wide beam front and aft is of more use.

fb

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:16:21 +0000, Fractal wrote:

> I use it but bear in mind that reflective tape only reflects light directly
> back in a narrow beam from a light source, so doesnt make you any more
> conspicuous from all other directions, and even a motorist may not see you
> if the car head lights are low. Doesnt protect from side collisions at
> intersections etc since the motorists only sees you at the last moment as
> you move directly in front.

Spiral wrapping around the various frame tubing takes care of that. As
someone once said to me "I wonder w*** t** f*** was that". Of course,
offset circle ring reflector within each wheel help add to the effect.

On May 29, 10:26 pm, terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:16:21 +0000, Fractal wrote:
> > I use it but bear in mind that reflective tape only reflects light directly
> > back in a narrow beam from a light source, so doesnt make you any more
> > conspicuous from all other directions, and even a motorist may not see you
> > if the car head lights are low. Doesnt protect from side collisions at
> > intersections etc since the motorists only sees you at the last moment as
> > you move directly in front.

> Spiral wrapping around the various frame tubing takes care of that. As
> someone once said to me "I wonder w*** t** f*** was that". Of course,
> offset circle ring reflector within each wheel help add to the effect.

err.. no it doesn't

the point with retro-reflective tape is that it shines back light
directly to the source, regardless of its orientation. Per Fractal's
comments.

duncan

On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:10:11 -0700, Duncan wrote:

> On May 29, 10:26 pm, terryc <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:16:21 +0000, Fractal wrote:
>> > I use it but bear in mind that reflective tape only reflects light directly
>> > back in a narrow beam from a light source, so doesnt make you any more
>> > conspicuous from all other directions, and even a motorist may not see you
>> > if the car head lights are low. Doesnt protect from side collisions at
>> > intersections etc since the motorists only sees you at the last moment as
>> > you move directly in front.

>> Spiral wrapping around the various frame tubing takes care of that. As
>> someone once said to me "I wonder w*** t** f*** was that". Of course,
>> offset circle ring reflector within each wheel help add to the effect.

> err.. no it doesn't
>
> the point with retro-reflective tape is that it shines back light
> directly to the source, regardless of its orientation. Per Fractal's
> comments.

And siting in car headlight, or bicycle or camera lights, why does a
strip of reflecto tape spiralled around the frame not reflect the light
back towards the light no matter?

This method is very good for side and other angle encounters.

You see a series of reflective blocks along the frame. How far depends
on the light source. If it is a car headlight, then you will see any
reflector before any bicycle light.

BTDT. the comment came from some one in a country town going home who
noticed me riding past ad followed for a block to work out exactly what he
was seeing. I remember thinking (oh crow call, ******** about), then he
turned off after a couple of blocks. Turned out he worked with the
Br-in-law and was talking about it at work the next day.

I think we all agree.. I suspect you misinterpreted Fractal's original
comment, which was:

you then responded:

> >> Spiral wrapping around the various frame tubing takes care of that. As
> >> someone once said to me "I wonder w*** t** f*** was that". Of course,
> >> offset circle ring reflector within each wheel help add to the effect.

which doesn't really address Fractal's point about not being seen
unless you are in the path of light from the source.

I agree that retroreflective tape around you downtube/etc is fantastic
for being seen from pretty much any direction, given the viewer has a
source of light (eg: headlights).

rgds

duncan

On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:15:04 -0700, Duncan wrote:

> which doesn't really address Fractal's point about not being seen
> unless you are in the path of light from the source.

okay, we'll agree on that {:).

> I agree that retroreflective tape around you downtube/etc is fantastic
> for being seen from pretty much any direction, given the viewer has a
> source of light (eg: headlights).

Should get off my A and put my bicycling photos online somewhere. I havea
really good series taken on the Newcastle docks, when they existed that
shows how good reflecto tape and reflectors are compared to bicycle
lights. Although, back them, bicycle lights were rather woeful generally
unless you had Union or ???? halogens for your hub gennie.

"hemyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bill the Cat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:kMa%[email protected]...
>> Hi one and all.
>>
>> Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
>> reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can
>> buy it - anyone here know?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> BtC
>>

> I bought some at Autobarn.
>
> Henry.

Best stuff is 3M SOLAS. http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/002843.php
Google for stockists, eg,
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=144&item=191304&intAbsolutePage=1

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:16:21 GMT, "Fractal"
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>I use it but bear in mind that reflective tape only reflects light directly
>back in a narrow beam from a light source, so doesnt make you any more
>conspicuous from all other directions, and even a motorist may not see you

I don't think that is true anymore the tape produced these days is not
'flat' and reflects from many directions. Just observe the safety
vests that road workers wear - the stripes reflect from every part you
can see and which is definitely not all at right angles to your line
of vision.

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

terryc said:
This method is very good for side and other angle encounters.

The Other commuter has sidelight strips mounted for that effect, from a side profile the rims look like solid white lights, or so informed by witnesses. Unfortunately I don't believe sidelights (US?) are still manufactured, although some LBS may have a few dusty boxes lurking about.

On May 31, 9:18 am, Dinsdale Pirana <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't think that is true anymore the tape produced these days is not
> 'flat' and reflects from many directions. Just observe the safety
> vests that road workers wear - the stripes reflect from every part you
> can see and which is definitely not all at right angles to your line
> of vision.

I think the issue is that you actually need to be sitting in the beam
of someone's lights in order for the tape to be able to reflect
anything, and furthermore that the reflection is only visible if the
observer's eyes are quite close to the light source.

Thus it will not protect you from being run over by a driver coming
out of a perpendicular intersection because you only enter into the
cone of their lights when you pass directly in front of the vehicle,
which only happens when you are moments away from being run over, and
there are many other circumstances where the angle just won't be right
for the reflector to be able to catch any light and send it toward a
driver. You need to be visible well in advance, not just appearing as
a sudden terrifying apparition moments before disappearing below the
bull bar.

Hence, active light sources visible from a wide angle should be the
primary visibility device, with reflective tape and the like forming a
backup of presumably limited but not negative value.

Travis