reflectors on spokes ?

tonphil1960

Jul 30, 2004
Hi all, What do you serious veteran riders do with the reflectors on the spokes, take them off as soon as you can or are they Ok and not effect the wheel at all. I see that when I get the wheel going off the ground it does cause quite a bit of vibration, not really vibration but you can feel it while holding the bike up. Just curious.

Thanks Tony

Riding at night? No? Then take them off. They really are useless unless you plan on riding at night.

Mine come off as soon as I get the bike home, all of my riding is done during the day unless I am on the trainer at night- either way I don't need them.

tonphil1960 said:
Hi all, What do you serious veteran riders do with the reflectors on the spokes, take them off as soon as you can or are they Ok and not effect the wheel at all. I see that when I get the wheel going off the ground it does cause quite a bit of vibration, not really vibration but you can feel it while holding the bike up. Just curious.

Thanks Tony

I take them off because they get in the way when I hook up the playing card/clothespin contraption.

Seriously, they are pretty useless. If you ride at night or dusk get one of those small battery operated rear lights. Pretty cheap and easy.

capwater said:
I take them off because they get in the way when I hook up the playing card/clothespin contraption.

Absolutely... you can't run a full set of spokey-dokeys on your wheels with reflectors in the way...

I don't see how they help at night. You're traveling perpendicular to the travel path of the car that's approaching... by the time it gets to you, you've gone past.

Rompinrhino said:
Riding at night? No? Then take them off. They really are useless unless you plan on riding at night.

kf5nd said:
I don't see how they help at night. You're traveling perpendicular to the travel path of the car that's approaching... by the time it gets to you, you've gone past.

They're actually there to give the cars something to aim at at night, remove them before riding. It's a proven fact you can't hit something you can't see :D

I have the LBS take them off before I will accept the bike. I will not buy a bike that has garbage affixed to the wheels. Same goes for the chain guard and all the other reflectors - there's no need for that kind of nonsense.

eric_the_red said:
They're actually there to give the cars something to aim at at night, remove them before riding. It's a proven fact you can't hit something you can't see :D
They also make it easier for the people who just ran you off the road to locate your bike, with a small flashlight, in the thick brush on the side of the road. It is important that they be able to do this quickly so they can get the front wheel off, stuff the frame into the trunk and depart before you regain consciousness.:eek:

WINGNUTT said:
There should be a Constitutional amendment banning wheel reflectors.

I believe in the UK it is actually illegal to ride without them... same with pedal reflectors.

>Actually, have just checked - it is illegal to ride at night without a rear red reflector, amber pedal reflectors and front and rear lights... spoke reflectors are advisable!

The best one of all though, is that all new bikes have to be sold with a bell. I'm due to pick a £2,500 road bike in a few weeks and I'm really looking forward to insisting that they fit a Snoopy bell or similar to it before I accept it...

These people are all kidding of course! The 4-5 grand bikes you see will of course have titanium or carbon fiber reflector housings (material choice gets a lot of debate here) with ultra-low profile lenses, and aero profiles. Mavic's Krysiflectors are a great choice.