refreezing chicken pieces

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ben, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Hi,

    On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the
    freezer and into the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am
    considering refreezing some of them. Since they were in the
    fridge the whole time, would there be a problem doing that?

    Thanks, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No
    monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643
    for 20 free minutes.

    Tags:

  2. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the
    > freezer and
    into
    > the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering
    > refreezing some of them. Since they were in the fridge the
    > whole time, would there be a problem doing that?
    >
    > Thanks, Ben

    <snip> No problem if they have been kept at the proper
    temperature. You will lose some additional flavor and
    texture but with the cardboard chicken they sell today it's
    not going to make any difference. Make sure when you do
    finally cook it you cook it to the proper temperature.

    Dimitri

  3. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the
    > freezer and
    into
    > the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering
    > refreezing some of them. Since they were in the fridge the
    > whole time, would there be a problem doing that?
    >
    > Thanks, Ben

    <snip> No problem if they have been kept at the proper
    temperature. You will lose some additional flavor and
    texture but with the cardboard chicken they sell today it's
    not going to make any difference. Make sure when you do
    finally cook it you cook it to the proper temperature.

    Dimitri

  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I have done what you are asking about and I've never had a problem. It does
    seem like it could be a bad idea, but I agree that if you keep it at the
    proper temperature, it should be ok. Obivously bringing it outside in the
    sun for a couple hours and then refreezing would be a bad idea. : )

    Matt www.itsacookbook.com "ben" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the
    > freezer and
    into
    > the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering
    > refreezing some of them. Since they were in the fridge the
    > whole time, would there be a problem doing that?
    >
    > Thanks, Ben
    >
    > --
    > "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"
    >
    > Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    > (http://www.onesuite.com).
    > 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K.
    > No monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code
    > 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I have done what you are asking about and I've never had a problem. It does
    seem like it could be a bad idea, but I agree that if you keep it at the
    proper temperature, it should be ok. Obivously bringing it outside in the
    sun for a couple hours and then refreezing would be a bad idea. : )

    Matt www.itsacookbook.com "ben" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the
    > freezer and
    into
    > the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering
    > refreezing some of them. Since they were in the fridge the
    > whole time, would there be a problem doing that?
    >
    > Thanks, Ben
    >
    > --
    > "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"
    >
    > Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    > (http://www.onesuite.com).
    > 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K.
    > No monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code
    > 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

  6. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    ben wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of
    > the freezer and into the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday
    > I am considering refreezing some of them. Since they were
    > in the fridge the whole time, would there be a problem
    > doing that?

    That can be very dangerous.

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:20:59 -0500, ben <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the
    >freezer and into the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am
    >considering refreezing some of them. Since they were in the
    >fridge the whole time, would there be a problem doing that?

    Read about proper storage, freezing, thawing and
    refreezing here:

    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/chicken.htm

    -sw

  8. The Wolf

    The Wolf Guest

    On 03/12/2004 9:13 AM, in article [email protected],
    "Matt" <[email protected]> opined:

    > I have done what you are asking about and I've never had
    > a problem. It does seem like it could be a bad idea, but
    > I agree that if you keep it at the proper temperature, it
    > should be ok. Obivously bringing it outside in the sun
    > for a couple hours and then refreezing would be a bad
    > idea. : )
    >
    > Matt www.itsacookbook.com "ben" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of
    >> the freezer and
    > into
    >> the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering
    >> refreezing some of them. Since they were in the fridge
    >> the whole time, would there be a problem doing that?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Ben
    >>
    >> --
    >> "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"
    >>
    >> Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    >> (http://www.onesuite.com).
    >> 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K.
    >> No monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code
    >> 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

    I've wondered about this because where I buy my chicken
    sometimes it is partially frozen. It seems like they buy it
    frozen and thaw it on display.

    "When a broad table is to be made, and the edges of planks
    do not fit, the artist takes a little from both, and makes a
    good joint. In like manner here, both sides must part with
    some of their demands," Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

  9. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ben wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of
    > > the freezer and
    into
    > > the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering
    > > refreezing some of them. Since they were in the fridge
    > > the whole time, would there be a problem doing that?
    >
    > That can be very dangerous.

    That's not true. I used to believe it, but a couple of years
    ago we had an ice storm that knocked out power for a few
    days. There were various food safety experts on the radio
    answering questions, one of them being the refreezing of
    food that thawed but has been kept cold for a day or 2. No
    problem, was the answer they gave. It might affect the
    quality/texture of the food but there is no danger.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  10. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > ben wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of
    > > the freezer and into the fridge to defrost. Now on
    > > Friday I am considering refreezing some of them. Since
    > > they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be a
    > > problem doing that?
    >
    > That can be very dangerous.

    Why?

    Brian Rodenborn

  11. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Default User wrote:

    > > > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of
    > > > the freezer and into the fridge to defrost. Now on
    > > > Friday I am considering refreezing some of them. Since
    > > > they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be
    > > > a problem doing that?
    > >
    > > That can be very dangerous.
    >
    > Why?

    You run the risk of eating spoiled meat. According to the
    sites I checked, you should check poultry that has been at
    less than 45 F for smell. If it smells okay it can be re-
    frozen but should be used as soon as possible. Poultry that
    has been stored at temperatures over 45 F should be
    discarded.

    Having once had a good dose of food poisoning, (thanks to a
    Chile dog in a restaurant), I can assure you that a few
    dollars worth of chicken is not worth the risk.

  12. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:14:20 GMT, The Wolf <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I've wondered about this because where I buy my chicken
    >sometimes it is partially frozen. It seems like they buy it
    >frozen and thaw it on display.

    I asked a supermarket butcher about the same thing. 'Freah'
    chicken is often (always?) "superchilled" before shipping,
    which isn't *quite* the same as freezing. When I pointed out
    to the butcher that not only was there frost on the
    packages, but the meat was pretty hard in spots, he shrugged
    and said that's the way it's shipped and he doesn't know
    much more.

  13. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Thanks for everyones' replies. Much appreciated.

    regards, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No
    monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643
    for 20 free minutes.

  14. Default User

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > > > That can be very dangerous.
    > >
    > > Why?
    > >

    > You run the risk of eating spoiled meat. According to the
    > sites I checked, you should check poultry that has been at
    > less than 45 F for smell. If it smells okay it can be re-
    > frozen but should be used as soon as possible. Poultry
    > that has been stored at temperatures over 45 F should be
    > discarded.

    When did these chicken pieces get above 45F? From freezer to
    refrigerator, back to freezer.

    Brian Rodenborn

  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Frogleg wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:14:20 GMT, The Wolf
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I've wondered about this because where I buy my chicken
    >> sometimes it is partially frozen. It seems like they buy
    >> it frozen and thaw it on display.
    >
    > I asked a supermarket butcher about the same thing.
    > 'Freah' chicken is often (always?) "superchilled" before
    > shipping, which isn't *quite* the same as freezing. When I
    > pointed out to the butcher that not only was there frost
    > on the packages, but the meat was pretty hard in spots, he
    > shrugged and said that's the way it's shipped and he
    > doesn't know much more.

    Please don't call this guy a butcher. He's never been near a
    real butcher and couldn't care any less about the meat tha
    he handles, or anything about you, as a customer.

    BOB