Refreshing RR of sorts

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Simon, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Well curiosity got the better of me and I signed up to the MBUK mountain bike forum. Introduced
    myself and awaited the, seemingly, obligatory "pounce on the newbie" type responses. I carried on
    waiting .............and waiting..........and waiting.....but all I got was politeness and a feeling
    of real cosiness. Four days passed ...............I was still a newbie, yet there was speak of a
    local meet. One right here in Nottingham. With over 3000 active members there were bound to be some
    people near myself..........and sure enough there was.

    Well Tuesday came fast and the meeting point was 12pm by the stone lions in the centre of
    town.......for a relaxed street / social session. I turned up fashionably late by 15 mins and was
    greeted by the most relaxed and least pretentious people I have ever met. There was no bike
    snobbery. No awkwardness. No clash of personality's. No competitiveness. Everyone was just simply
    out to meet new people and have a damn nice day.

    We played around in the towns precinct for a while. Those gifted individuals with trials skills
    hopped this way and that whilst others took photos, chatted and tried to learn new skills. We then
    slowly ambled along to Nottingham castle....playing in the traffic, hopping curbs, dodging
    pedestrian lemmings and basking in the unusual warmth that is gracing the UK.

    Over the course of the day we moved on to various locations......always courteous to pedestrians and
    always taking litter etc. with us. We did not ride marathon distances, we did not launch huge jumps
    we did not drop from the largest of walls........................but we all had a damn good day.

    Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well curiosity got the better of me and I signed up to the MBUK mountain bike forum. Introduced
    > myself and awaited the, seemingly, obligatory
    "pounce
    > on the newbie" type responses. I carried on waiting .............and waiting..........and
    > waiting.....but all I got was politeness and a feeling of real cosiness. Four days passed
    > ...............I was still a newbie, yet there was speak
    of
    > a local meet. One right here in Nottingham. With over 3000 active members there were bound to be
    > some people near myself..........and sure enough there was.
    >
    > Well Tuesday came fast and the meeting point was 12pm by the stone lions
    in
    > the centre of town.......for a relaxed street / social session. I turned
    up
    > fashionably late by 15 mins and was greeted by the most relaxed and least pretentious people I
    > have ever met. There was no bike snobbery. No awkwardness. No clash of personality's. No
    > competitiveness. Everyone was just simply out to meet new people and have a damn nice day.
    >
    > We played around in the towns precinct for a while. Those gifted
    individuals
    > with trials skills hopped this way and that whilst others took photos, chatted and tried to learn
    > new skills. We then slowly ambled along to Nottingham castle....playing in the traffic, hopping
    > curbs, dodging pedestrian lemmings and basking in the unusual warmth that is gracing the UK.
    >
    > Over the course of the day we moved on to various locations......always courteous to pedestrians
    > and always taking litter etc. with us. We did not ride marathon distances, we did not launch huge
    > jumps we did
    not
    > drop from the largest of walls........................but we all had a
    damn
    > good day.
    >
    > Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant

    Next time do some MOUNTAIN BIKING with 'em and you'll have yourself a swell little group!

    Bill "sure it wasn't 'UrbanUK'*?" S.

    *not that there's anything WRONG with that

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    |<snip my waffle>

    | Next time do some MOUNTAIN BIKING with 'em and you'll have yourself a
    swell
    | little group!
    |
    | Bill "sure it wasn't 'UrbanUK'*?" S.
    |
    | *not that there's anything WRONG with that

    Awwwwww we dont have mountains in Nottingham. But we were riding mountain bikes....at
    least I was :eek:)

    Simon...still chuffed, still smiling.....oh and the next rides already arranged for friday :eek:)))

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:49:33 +0100, "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip nice RR]

    >Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant

    No it's not a pity at all, for without non pleasantness one could not know pleasantness.

    Without evil there could be no good.

    Acknowledge the bad for what it is and what it creates. One can almost argue that bad created good
    or vise versa.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well curiosity got the better of me and I signed up to the MBUK mountain bike forum. Introduced
    > myself and awaited the, seemingly, obligatory
    "pounce
    > on the newbie" type responses. I carried on waiting .............and waiting..........and
    > waiting.....but all I got was politeness and a feeling of real cosiness. Four days passed
    > ...............I was still a newbie, yet there was speak
    of
    > a local meet. One right here in Nottingham. With over 3000 active members there were bound to be
    > some people near myself..........and sure enough there was.
    >
    > Well Tuesday came fast and the meeting point was 12pm by the stone lions
    in
    > the centre of town.......for a relaxed street / social session. I turned
    up
    > fashionably late by 15 mins and was greeted by the most relaxed and least pretentious people I
    > have ever met. There was no bike snobbery. No awkwardness. No clash of personality's. No
    > competitiveness. Everyone was just simply out to meet new people and have a damn nice day.
    >
    > We played around in the towns precinct for a while. Those gifted
    individuals
    > with trials skills hopped this way and that whilst others took photos, chatted and tried to learn
    > new skills. We then slowly ambled along to Nottingham castle....playing in the traffic, hopping
    > curbs, dodging pedestrian lemmings and basking in the unusual warmth that is gracing the UK.
    >
    > Over the course of the day we moved on to various locations......always courteous to pedestrians
    > and always taking litter etc. with us. We did not ride marathon distances, we did not launch huge
    > jumps we did
    not
    > drop from the largest of walls........................but we all had a
    damn
    > good day.
    >
    > Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant

    Come on over to Richmond VA on Thursday nights and you'll have the same experience.

    Mike - fun isn't it?!

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:49:33 +0100, "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > [snip nice RR]
    >
    > >Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant
    >
    > No it's not a pity at all, for without non pleasantness one could not know pleasantness.
    >
    > Without evil there could be no good.
    >
    > Acknowledge the bad for what it is and what it creates. One can almost argue that bad created good
    > or vise versa.
    >

    > Peace, Bill

    Asshole. ;^)

    Mike - there, now you'll feel better when I'm nice to you.

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well curiosity got the better of me and I signed up to the MBUK mountain bike forum. Introduced
    > myself and awaited the, seemingly, obligatory
    "pounce
    > on the newbie" type responses. I carried on waiting .............and waiting..........and
    > waiting.....but all I got was politeness and a feeling of real cosiness. Four days passed
    > ...............I was still a newbie, yet there was speak
    of
    > a local meet. One right here in Nottingham. With over 3000 active members there were bound to be
    > some people near myself..........and sure enough there was.
    >
    > Well Tuesday came fast and the meeting point was 12pm by the stone lions
    in
    > the centre of town.......for a relaxed street / social session. I turned
    up
    > fashionably late by 15 mins and was greeted by the most relaxed and least pretentious people I
    > have ever met.

    AKA - 'The English'.

    |> There was no bike snobbery. No
    > awkwardness. No clash of personality's. No competitiveness. Everyone was just simply out to meet
    > new people and have a damn nice day.
    >
    > We played around in the towns precinct for a while. Those gifted
    individuals
    > with trials skills hopped this way and that whilst others took photos, chatted and tried to learn
    > new skills. We then slowly ambled along to Nottingham castle....playing in the traffic, hopping
    > curbs, dodging pedestrian lemmings and basking in the unusual warmth that is gracing the UK.
    >
    > Over the course of the day we moved on to various locations......always courteous to pedestrians
    > and always taking litter etc. with us. We did not ride marathon distances, we did not launch huge
    > jumps we did
    not
    > drop from the largest of walls........................but we all had a
    damn
    > good day.
    >
    > Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant

    good stuff Si.

    Shaun aRe

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:49:33 +0100, "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > [snip nice RR]
    >
    > >Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant
    >
    > No it's not a pity at all, for without non pleasantness one could not know pleasantness.
    >
    > Without evil there could be no good.
    >
    > Acknowledge the bad for what it is and what it creates. One can almost argue that bad created good
    > or vise versa.

    My silophophy too, more or less - without the night, we wouldn't appreciate the brightness of day,
    _and_ vice-versa.

    Shaun aRe - Sweet-as 'dude'.

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:49:33 +0100, "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > [snip nice RR]
    > >
    > > >Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant
    > >
    > > No it's not a pity at all, for without non pleasantness one could not know pleasantness.
    > >
    > > Without evil there could be no good.
    > >
    > > Acknowledge the bad for what it is and what it creates. One can almost argue that bad created
    > > good or vise versa.
    > >

    > > Peace, Bill
    > >

    > Asshole. ;^)
    >
    > Mike - there, now you'll feel better when I'm nice to you.

    Heheheh - cunny funt!

    Shaun aRe - you made I larf!

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > >My silophophy too, more or less - without the night, we wouldn't
    appreciate
    > >the brightness of day, _and_ vice-versa.
    >
    > Oh, GREAT! Now I'm stuck with Peter frikkin Sarsted

    WTF is one o' them then?

    > in my head "without darkness there's no light, without day..... there's no night" and so
    frikkin
    > on....
    >
    > ;-(
    >
    > Steve "what a way to start a day....."

    Heheheheh! Truly, I am The Spawn of Satan's Pet Frog! >',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > SR says:
    >
    > >Heheheheh! Truly, I am The Spawn of Satan's Pet Frog! >',;~}~
    >
    > Does your Dad know you call him that?

    I called him much worse.

    > Hmmmm, lessee <snipped> Might work...

    > <snipped>? Better!

    > ;-)
    >
    > Steve

    Dickhead!

    Shaun aRe

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > SR says:
    >
    > >Dickhead!
    >
    > Hehe ;-)

    You might well laugh, but some malicious en-vile-o nut could lose me my job!!!!!!

    > Probably close to the truth, sad to say....

    Try a comb-over to hide it.

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - It's what some of the other old dickheads do....

  13. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well curiosity got the better of me and I signed up to the MBUK mountain bike forum. Introduced
    > myself and awaited the, seemingly, obligatory "pounce on the newbie" type responses.
    >
    > Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant

    What a pleasant surprise. Statistically speaking, most groups will have their token jerks and
    unpleasant competitive types.

    Maybe that should be your role?? Couldn't resist....

    Paladin

  14. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | > Well curiosity got the better of me and I signed up to the MBUK mountain bike forum. Introduced
    | > myself and awaited the, seemingly, obligatory
    "pounce
    | > on the newbie" type responses.
    | >
    | > Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant
    |
    | What a pleasant surprise. Statistically speaking, most groups will have their token jerks and
    | unpleasant competitive types.
    |
    | Maybe that should be your role?? Couldn't resist....
    |
    | Paladin

    I dont have a competitive bone in my body and as for being the token
    jerk......nah. I am just the guy with no skills that quietly learns.

    Simon

  15. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > | > Well curiosity got the better of me and I signed up to the MBUK mountain bike forum.
    > | > Introduced myself and awaited the, seemingly, obligatory
    > "pounce
    > | > on the newbie" type responses.
    > | >
    > | > Its a pity not all things in life are this pleasant
    > |
    > | What a pleasant surprise. Statistically speaking, most groups will have their token jerks and
    > | unpleasant competitive types.
    > |
    > | Maybe that should be your role?? Couldn't resist....
    > |
    > | Paladin
    >
    > I dont have a competitive bone in my body and as for being the token
    > jerk......nah. I am just the guy with no skills that quietly learns.
    >
    > Simon

    No offense intended. I was just joking around & having some fun at your expense. Sounds like a great
    group to fall in with and I liked your description of the outing.

  16. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:<[email protected]>...
    | > "pounce

    | > | What a pleasant surprise. Statistically speaking, most groups will have their token jerks and
    | > | unpleasant competitive types.
    | > |
    | > | Maybe that should be your role?? Couldn't resist....
    | > |
    | > | Paladin
    | >
    | > I dont have a competitive bone in my body and as for being the token
    | > jerk......nah. I am just the guy with no skills that quietly learns.
    | >
    | > Simon
    |
    | No offense intended. I was just joking around & having some fun at your expense. Sounds like a
    | great group to fall in with and I liked your description of the outing.

    I know you meant no offense.........dont worry and yes they are a great group.

    Simon.......next ride tommorrow now