refridgerate curry paste??

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kalanamak, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    These are Thai products, and come in yellow, green and red style. No where does it say to
    refridgerate after opening. I'd like to, SO doesn't want to, but is willing to listen to other
    opinions. TIA blacksalt

    OBkidsdothedarnestthings: last night I blew bubblegum bubbles for baby, something he'd never seen
    before. Now that he's close to 18 months, he's very imitative and curious. Anyway, he was delighted
    and laughed and laughed, and drew himself up close and was "sniffing" the air from the popped
    bubbles (he has scratch and sniff books, and often smells things that catch his eye). After much
    giggling and excitement, he got very quiet and slowly pulled himself very close, and then, just like
    the leading man in a romantic movie, closed his eyes, tilted his head back and lightly parted his
    lips and just touched a big bubble with his mouth, not even breaking the bubble. It really looked
    just like a kiss in an old movie, and I had the eerie preview of his future love life. Not something
    I ever expected to see at this age. OBWhatIwantforchristmas: Since he loves animals and scratch and
    sniff books, how about a scratch and sniff barnyard animals book?

    Tags:

  2. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 08:47:21 -0800, kalanamak <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >These are Thai products, and come in yellow, green and red style. No where does it say to
    >refridgerate after opening. I'd like to, SO doesn't want to, but is willing to listen to other
    >opinions.

    I always refrigerate. Semi-automatic response after I open something that's stored, sealed at room
    temperature on the store shelf, but might conceivably spoil once opened. Doesn't seem to affect the
    flavor any.

  3. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    kalanamak <[email protected]> wrote:

    > These are Thai products, and come in yellow, green and red style. No where does it say to
    > refridgerate after opening. I'd like to, SO doesn't want to, but is willing to listen to other
    > opinions.

    snipped

    We always store ours in the fridge. We have some puny plastic snap top containers that'll fit in the
    refrigerator door, and thus won't get lost behind the milk or leftovers.

    OB Holiday Food: We're going to SO's boss's house for Christmas dinner. He conned me into making the
    brioche tart with vanilla custard sauce from Baking with Julia. (No, I'm not posting this recipe--
    I'd get carpal tunnel typing it out.) Was up till midnight getting the brioche dough to where it
    could rise overnight in the fridge. Now I have a good afternoon's worth of making caramel and
    custard, along with baking the brioche. If this doesn't come out, I know whom to blame. If it works,
    I get to bask in glory.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  4. "kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > These are Thai products, and come in yellow, green and red style. No where does it say to
    > refridgerate after opening. I'd like to, SO doesn't want to, but is willing to listen to other
    > opinions. TIA blacksalt

    We refrigerate some, don't refrigerate others. The ones in the tubs don't get refrigerated, but the
    ones in the cans do (once opened, of course). There's no rhyme nor reason for this, it's just what
    we've always done. I think it was because canned ones, once opened, are exposed to air and light so
    they would then lose their flavour more quickly so in the fridge or freezer they went (for some
    reason, we never ever transfered leftover canned pastes to air-tight containers, we just left them
    in their cans). You don't have to refrigerate any of them, but I would think that refrigerating
    would help keep the flavours for a longer period of time if you don't use the pastes frequently.

    <snip cute bubblegum blowing story--he's gonna be heartbreaker, that one!>

    > OBWhatIwantforchristmas: Since he loves animals and scratch and sniff books, how about a scratch
    > and sniff barnyard animals book?

    Or, just take him out to Kansas and let him scratch and sniff around a real barn??? :)

    rona

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    wrote:

    >These are Thai products, and come in yellow, green and red style. No where does it say to
    >refridgerate after opening. I'd like to, SO doesn't want to, but is willing to listen to other
    >opinions.

    I suspect there's enough salt in those to keep them preserved. Heck - look at ketchup. The small
    amount of salt and vinegar keeps it fine at room temp for at least a year.

    -sw

  6. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

    > "kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    Thinking back on it, I've seen those tubs unrefridgerated at other people's houses.

    > > OBWhatIwantforchristmas: Since he loves animals and scratch and sniff books, how about a scratch
    > > and sniff barnyard animals book?
    >
    > Or, just take him out to Kansas and let him scratch and sniff around a real barn??? :)

    The only thing I've ever seen him afraid of was a very noisy sheep bellowing in a barn. Today I took
    him (and dog, too) to a geriatric ward of a state mental institution and he ran about very happily
    and unafraid of the odd behaviors, although he did look askance at the tardive dyskinesia lady
    twitching away and barking out "cut me up, cut me up, cut me up". One bipolar, alcohol-dementia
    lady, with gobs of rouge on, smiled at him, and the staff said it was the first smile they'd seen on
    her, ever. That was enough Christmas for me. blacksalt

  7. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    > kalanamak <> wrote:
    >
    >> These are Thai products, and come in yellow, green and red style. No where does it say to
    >> refridgerate after opening. I'd like to, SO doesn't want to, but is willing to listen to other
    >> opinions.

    I refrigerate mine after opening, regardless of brand or instruction.

  8. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    wrote:

    >These are Thai products, and come in yellow, green and red style. No where does it say to
    >refridgerate after opening. I'd like to, SO doesn't want to, but is willing to listen to other
    >opinions. TIA blacksalt
    >
    >OBkidsdothedarnestthings: last night I blew bubblegum bubbles for baby, something he'd never seen
    >before. Now that he's close to 18 months, he's very imitative and curious. Anyway, he was delighted
    >and laughed and laughed, and drew himself up close and was "sniffing" the air from the popped
    >bubbles (he has scratch and sniff books, and often smells things that catch his eye). After much
    >giggling and excitement, he got very quiet and slowly pulled himself very close, and then, just
    >like the leading man in a romantic movie, closed his eyes, tilted his head back and lightly parted
    >his lips and just touched a big bubble with his mouth, not even breaking the bubble. It really
    >looked just like a kiss in an old movie, and I had the eerie preview of his future love life. Not
    >something I ever expected to see at this age. OBWhatIwantforchristmas: Since he loves animals and
    >scratch and sniff books, how about a scratch and sniff barnyard animals book?

    That little baby story raised a swarm of memories for me from when my teen brood was young. Thanks
    you, it was delightful.

    And refrigerate the canned curry pastes once they are opened. They also freeze well.

    Boron

  9. B . Server

    B . Server Guest

    wrote:

    >These are Thai products, and come in yellow, green and red style. No where does it say to
    >refridgerate after opening. I'd like to, SO doesn't want to, but is willing to listen to other
    >opinions. TIA blacksalt

    FWLIW, I typically keep mine in the freezer. There is enough oil and salt in it to keep it from
    becoming solid, so I imagine that the flavor keeps better and it is one more thing that does not
    need space in the refrigerator. Since I also keep most of my other spice purchases in the freezer,
    removing only a small portion to use at a time, it is no great trouble to retrieve the paste. I
    suspect, like most of the other posters, that it would "keep" for quite a long time without
    refrigeration.

  10. Karl

    Karl Guest

    kalanamak ([email protected]), citing the Rules of Acquisition to rec.food.cooking, says...

    > These are Thai products, and come in yellow, green and red style. No where does it say to
    > refridgerate after opening. I'd like to, SO doesn't want to, but is willing to listen to other
    > opinions. TIA blacksalt

    I generally keep them in the refrigerator after they're open. Given their contents, they're probably
    OK without refrigeration, but I'd rather not chance it.

    One of my favorite things to do is make a curried stir fry. I'll fry up a mess of vegetables and
    meat, and add pineapple chunks near the end of cooking. I mix the curry paste with coconut milk, add
    pineapple juice to thin it further, and stir that in at the end. The sweetness of the pineapple and
    the heat of the curry makes a nice combination.