Refrigerator Apple Bran Muffins

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Read, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Read

Read Guest

Request From: "Debby Boseley" <[email protected]>
    > Is there such a thing as a healthy breakfast muffin? I would like to
    make
    > something I can eat in the morning which is easy to grab up and take
    with
    > me. I am beginning to theink it is the only hope of my eating a
    breakfast. Any
    > help you can provide would be great.

Refrigerator Apple Bran Muffins

These are some of my favorite muffins, and they can be made fresh each morning. Make the batter
    ahead of time and store, covered, in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. (The recipe is easily divided
    into less--this amount will make about 40 muffins)

2 cup boiling water 6 cup bran (miller's bran, wheat bran) 4 1/2 cup (36 oz) apple juice concentrate
    (the frozen stuff, thawed) 1 cup vegetable oil 4 eggs 5 cup whole wheat flour 5 tsp backing soda 1
    tsp salt 3 cup (12 oz) raisins (presumably you could substitute any other dried fruit)

Pour the boiling water over 2 cup of the bran, and let stand till cool. Beat eggs, beat in oil, beat
    in apple juice concentrate, and add the cooled bran. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and
    salt. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Fold in remaining 4 cup bran and the raisins. Store this
    in the refrigerator. Do not stir. Mix will keep, covered, for 2-3 weeks. When ready to bake, preheat
    oven to 425F. Grease muffin tins. Without stirring, gently spoon the batter into the tins. Fill the
    cups pretty full, most of the rising will have already taken place (which is why you don't want to
    stir the batter once you've made it). (If you're not using all the cups in your muffin pan, add a
    little water to the empty ones.) Bake at 425F about 10 minutes, until they have risen. Then lower to
    400F and bake till browned, 20-25 minutes altogether.

Modified from The Political Palate, Bloodroot Collective

--
    Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at [email protected]
    Only recipes and recipe requests are accepted for posting.
    Please allow several days for your submission to appear.
    Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/

Tags: