Refurbishing an Eddie

NativeTexan

Jun 25, 2006
Howdy. I have an Eddie Merckx that I've owned for 15 or 16 years, but have not ridden for a dozen (ailments!). I hauled it out yesterday with the idea of refurbishing it. I think the seat post is reuseable, the handlbars, maybe some other parts. It has a Campy headset which can be overhauled, Cinelli stem and handlebar which are probably OK. The rest of the components are mostly Shimano 600, which I gather is no longer available. The frame appears to be fine, paint good, but there is some rust and corrosion in the fittings, all the cabling has had it, etc. I figure all the running gear has to be replaced. I probably will need new wheels, or at least an extensive clean up. The rims I have are Mavic, decent for their day.

I want to clean this bike up and get it in good condition again, like before. I can have the heavy stuff done at the shop, the headset and bottom bracket overhauls, wheels rebuilt, etc.

Much has changed in cycling, particularly with parts, etc. since I was involved years ago. I'd appreciate any sugestions about how to proceed.

What is good for washing, removing rust, etc? What kinds of lubes and greases should I get for this?

I'll have more questions as time goes on and the project unfolds. TIA

NativeTexan said:
Much has changed in cycling, particularly with parts, etc. since I was involved years ago. I'd appreciate any sugestions about how to proceed.

What is good for washing, removing rust, etc? What kinds of lubes and greases should I get for this?

I just bought a +15 year old 12 speed steel bike. I actually bought it for the frame alone, since I just wanted a fixie/singlespeed beater bike. After some cleaning and lubing I did a test ride and was shocked how nice it was to ride, how easy it was to use downtube shifters again after a 15 year hiatus.

Unless the actual parts are corroded or rusted through, there is a good chance that they will still work. Some oil or grease and some cleaning can work wonders.
You should be carefull about upgrading wheels or gears etc, to never versions without good reason, since such upgrades tends to escalate to total rebuilds.
I recommend that you try to make the bike work first as best as it can, changing as little as possible. Take the bike on some small slow rides, just to see if you still like it.

Take everything you can of the bike. Clean it it. Inspect it. Grease or oil it. Put it back on.

Here is my suggestions.
Get Lennard Zinns "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance".
Go through your drawers and find some t-shirts and shirts you don't use anymore, and turn them into rags.
Buy:
A tube of grease (I recommend Finish Lines grease) and a grease gun. Cheap synthetic lithium grease in a tub is also adequate, but a grease gun is so much nicer to use.
Some light penetrating teflon oil in a small and handy drip bottle. Again I use Finish Line, but any cycle specific light teflon oil should do.
Some degreaser. I use Finish Lines "Ecotech" which I like a lot, since it isn't as toxic, highly explosive, easy flammable, unfriendly to the environment as some of the cheaper alternatives as gasoline (don't use that!). Degreasers such as "Ecotech" are extremely good a removing oil and dirt. The Citrus based degreasers tend to be even more effective, but can also be more aggressive against rubber etc.
Some latex or dishing gloves.
I use some cheap autoshampoo (contains wax) and a soft brush when cleaning my bike, but plain water, perhaps some ordinary soap or hair shampoo, kitchen sponge and rags will be all you need for your initial clean up. A little degreaser on a rag, also work wonders.
Wear gloves and old clothes or an apron when cleaning. If you have lots old chain oil on your hands and arms, a good trick is to pour olive oil and soap (dishing detergent or hand soap) together in your hand when washing them.
Hex keys and socket wrenches will get you a long way as tools.

Start with the wheels. Take them off, clean and inspect them for cracks, dents, and kinked spokes. On old rims one can see where the rims are put together, but thats no problem.
Check if the hubs are ok by turning the wheel while holding the axel. If the wheel has problems turning around, or there is a strong crunchy feeling when it turns, you better repack the hubs. It is a reasonable easy job to yourself (see Zinn).
Lube each spoke and rim eylet.
Grap two parallel spokes and squeeze them together with one hand. Work through all the spokes on wheelside at a time, and see if you find any loose spokes. Mark each loose or kinked spoke you find with some tape. Minor wheel truing and spoke tensioning is easy, see Zinn on how to do it.
You don't need to take the cassette off to clean it; if it is dirty and oily, take a long thin rag, apply some degreaser on it, and start flossing between the cogs, one at a time. If it is dry and rusty, pour some oil on it, or some wd-40, and and use a rag to floss the rust of.
Take the tires and tubes off, and inspect the rim tape (velox?).
Clean the braking rim with alcohol and a clean rag. (soap, oil or degreaser on the rim, reduces its braking ability)

The rear derailleur probably only needs a cleaning and lube. Take it of and clean it and put some teflon lube in the pulley wheels, and a some oil between moving parts. Move its moving parts, so the oil gets worked in, and remove any surplus oil with a dry rag.
Try to clean its thread, and the thread where it is mounted, and apply some grease on the thread before remounting it.
Brakes should get a similar treatment. Also inspect the brake pads for wear. If they need changing I recommend Kool Stop pads.

Change the cables, but try to see if the cable housing still work before changing it;
Put some wd-40 or teflon oil in the cablehousing. Use your mouth to try to blow it through. Put some oil on the new cable and use it to floss the cable housing. Dry the cable with a rag afterwards, before installing it.

Take the seatpost out (if stuck, see Sheldon Browns site on how to remove it). Apply a liberal amount of grease on it before reinstalling.
Same with the stem.
Generally clean all threads and apply grease on them (like bolts and nuts) before reinstalling.

The downtube shifters probably still work. Try to put some teflon lube on them and work them back and forth. That may be all they need.
Same with the front derailleur. (I wouldn't take it off unless I really had to).

While chains are cheap, see if the chain that is on cannot be salvaged. The reason for this is, that if you change the chain, you may also need to change the cassette, which may require a special tools or a trip to the LBS, which is silly to do if you later decide to upgrade the wheel and thereby the entire drivetrain.
Clean the chain with degreaser and rags. Apply a generous amount of oil on it, and remove as much as you can with rags afterwards. Inspect the chain for stiff links by moving it carefully up and down in sections.
If you need a new chain, I can recommend SRAM chains (or other chains with masterlinks), since they work well, and are easy to take of and put on.

Regarding the frame. Clean it it using water and rags. Perhaps use some oil on a sponge to grind some of the surface rust off. Oil can stop rust and corrosion for a while. WD-40 is also usable to clean the frame for rust, since it contains a little oil and a little wax.
Inspect the frame and fork carefully from all angles, notice rust, and paint bubbles and if there are any cracks, especially near any joints. Gently rock the rear triangle to see if it has become loose.

The above suggestions are about making the bike run again as cheaply as possible, not restoring it to pristine condition. If you can make it work by cleaning and lubing, and perhaps just changing cables, tires and chain, then test ride it for while and see if the frame still suits you and if you can live with the existing components.

--
Regards

interested said:
I just bought a +15 year old 12 speed steel bike. I actually bought it for the frame alone, since I just wanted a fixie/singlespeed beater bike. After some cleaning and lubing I did a test ride and was shocked how nice it was to ride, how easy it was to use downtube shifters again after a 15 year hiatus.
Wow! That is quite a bit of advice. Much obliged!

I wish I could put in riding shape first, but some of it is too far gone.

I have had a chance to take a closer look at some of the parts. I took everything off the frame except the headset, stem and handlebar and the cranks and bottom bracket. I didn't have the proper tool to take off one of the Look pedals, so I have to get that.

It is a mixed bag. I think the Mavic rims can be saved, with perhaps minor truing. The hubs seem to be none the worse for sitting around for 12 years, but the rear cassette cogs are history, a number of them bent, worn, etc. The chain rings are in almost as rough shape. those can be replaced, if everything else works out.

I went to one of the LBS today and had a look around. Some of the parts are the same, or the newer versions will still fit, but the brake/shifter combo's in use today aren't completely compatible with the separate brake levers and down tube shifter, so that will take some head scratching. The brake levers themselves are relatively decent with cleaning, the shifters are fine. The cranks are not new looking but certainly serviceable, but the derailleurs are hurting. Trouble is new ones are for 9 or 10 speed. If those have to be replaced, that starts a chain of replacing all sorts of stuff.

Speaking of chains, the chain is history, rusted beyond salvation. The good news is that the frame is in very good shape, the paint is pristene, only a few road rashes from before, no biggie.

The bottom bracket seems fine, so I can reserve a decision there. I took the wheels to the shop and the frame for a headset overhaul.

So, there are a few mysteries, a lot of head scratching and loads of fun ahead.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Some of this is coming back to me now, after all these years. I took care of this bike and its predecessors for years as an age group triathlete, a long time ago, so it's just going to have to come back, modified by all the new stuff, of course.

Old bikes don't die, you just have to look harder for the parts. My ride is a 27-year-old Gios. The clincher wheels I built for it have fairly new rims and spokes, but the hubs go back to the early 70s. The handlebar is one of the last of the Cinelli 66s, and I put clipless pedals on it around '99. Otherwise, it's just a matter of replacing cables, brake pads, chains, freewheels, brake lever hoods, handlebar tape, and lubrication. Finding 7-speed ultra freewheels for with a 13-21 or 23 range is about the hardest part of keeping this thing rolling.

NativeTexan said:
I have had a chance to take a closer look at some of the parts. I took everything off the frame except the headset, stem and handlebar and the cranks and bottom bracket. I didn't have the proper tool to take off one of the Look pedals, so I have to get that..

A 15 mm pedal spanner is good to have. I prefer long spanners, and or spanners that tilt slightly so my knuckles don't get bruised. The proper way to use one is to let the spanner and crank arm form a narrow "V" to gain maximum mechanical leverage.

NativeTexan said:
It is a mixed bag. I think the Mavic rims can be saved, with perhaps minor truing. The hubs seem to be none the worse for sitting around for 12 years, but the rear cassette cogs are history, a number of them bent, worn, etc. The chain rings are in almost as rough shape. those can be replaced, if everything else works out..

7 speed cassettes and even 6 speed cassettes are readily available, same with chains. They are cheap too.

NativeTexan said:
I went to one of the LBS today and had a look around. Some of the parts are the same, or the newer versions will still fit, but the brake/shifter combo's in use today aren't completely compatible with the separate brake levers and down tube shifter, so that will take some head scratching. The brake levers themselves are relatively decent with cleaning, the shifters are fine. The cranks are not new looking but certainly serviceable, but the derailleurs are hurting. Trouble is new ones are for 9 or 10 speed. If those have to be replaced, that starts a chain of replacing all sorts of stuff.

The good news is, that you can use any Shimano 9 or 10 speed derailleur instead of the old one with your Shimano 600 downtube shifters, since all the gear indexing is in the shifters, not the derailleur. Sheldon brown has a chart that explains Shimano compatibility:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html
So if you invest in a Ultegra 10 speed derailleur, you can also use it if you later decide to upgrade the entire bike to 10 speed.

NativeTexan said:
Speaking of chains, the chain is history, rusted beyond salvation. The good news is that the frame is in very good shape, the paint is pristene, only a few road rashes from before, no biggie.
The bottom bracket seems fine, so I can reserve a decision there. I took the wheels to the shop and the frame for a headset overhaul.

It sounds like that you only need a cassette, a chain, some cables, a rear derailleur, and new chain wheels to get it up and running again. Quality tires like Continental GP 3000/4000 is always a good investment. Same with Kool Stop brake pads, since the work really well, and don't eat rims like some other brands do.

Have fun with your project.

--
Regards

I got the bad news today that the headset is tweaked beyond repair, pitted, etc. It is a Campy Record. What would be a respectable replacement for this?

The bottom bracket checked out OK, and the Mavic wheels pass muster. I'll get new tires and a cassette. I haven't seen the 9 and 10 speed cassettes before. Any reason not to stay with the 7 speed?

One sticking point is likely to be new brake levers. The new ones seem to be both brake levers and gear shifters all in one.... I have decent shifters for the down tube. Are single purpose brake levers still available?

BTW, thanks for the suggestions thus far. This is a project just starting.

NativeTexan said:
I got the bad news today that the headset is tweaked beyond repair, pitted, etc. It is a Campy Record. What would be a respectable replacement for this?

The bottom bracket checked out OK, and the Mavic wheels pass muster. I'll get new tires and a cassette. I haven't seen the 9 and 10 speed cassettes before. Any reason not to stay with the 7 speed?

One sticking point is likely to be new brake levers. The new ones seem to be both brake levers and gear shifters all in one.... I have decent shifters for the down tube. Are single purpose brake levers still available?

BTW, thanks for the suggestions thus far. This is a project just starting.

Yes, you can get brake levers alone. Your LBS can order them or you can find them online. Campy, Shimano, and Cane Creek (formerly Dia-compe) are all available.

For that frame, I would get a Campy headset. Eddy deserves Italian. You can get a new Chorus for around $60 or so or a Record for $80-90. If you want the last word headsets you can get a Chris King that will last forever, but will set you back $125 or so.

There is not really a reason to switch from 7s unless you need the increased number of gears. To switch to 9 or 10s, you would probably need a new rear hub as the 9s or 10s casettes dont' fit on the old 7s freehubs.

NativeTexan said:
I haven't seen the 9 and 10 speed cassettes before. Any reason not to stay with the 7 speed?

... Are single purpose brake levers still available?

Does your hub take a cassette or a threaded freewheel? These are two very different animals. One thing you'll have to consider if you're going to 9 or 10 speed is rear axle spacing. 7-speed is usually 126 mm, while 9 and 10 speed are 130. Also, to go to 9 or 10 speed you'll need to get indexed shifting with all the upgrades that entails.

Excel Sports has plain Ultegra brake levers, 64.50, and Performance Bike has Shimano BL-600 levers for 59.99. Bikepartsusa.com also has levers--Dia Comp, Shimano 105, and Shimano RL-400.

oldbobcat said:
Does your hub take a cassette or a threaded freewheel? These are two very different animals. One thing you'll have to consider if you're going to 9 or 10 speed is rear axle spacing. 7-speed is usually 126 mm, while 9 and 10 speed are 130. Also, to go to 9 or 10 speed you'll need to get indexed shifting with all the upgrades that entails.

Excel Sports has plain Ultegra brake levers, 64.50, and Performance Bike has Shimano BL-600 levers for 59.99. Bikepartsusa.com also has levers--Dia Comp, Shimano 105, and Shimano RL-400.

A lot depends how good the frame is, and whether it merits a complete restoration. Even if it does, unless you want to start spending huge amounts of money, then I'd suggest you start searching Ebay for new old stock or good secondhand parts. There's a huge amount of stuff out there – I've just sourced every single part I need to rebuild my old 1991 race frame with exactly the spec I raced it in the eighties, all new old stock (including rare stuff like Huret Jubilee/Super success gears, Universal brakes and Concor saddle) and all from Ebay. Late eighties/early nineties kit can be real bargains, even Campag (Athena range, Triomphe etc), as it's not quite got to 'classic' status yet. And six/seven speed wheels go for virtually nothing.

Sorry for getting off topic here but I have two old bikes with Campy Record and Shimano Dura-Ace brake levers (both over 20 years old) Does anyone know where I can find new break hoods for these.

Duracellis said:
Sorry for getting off topic here but I have two old bikes with Campy Record and Shimano Dura-Ace brake levers (both over 20 years old) Does anyone know where I can find new break hoods for these.

Ebay, for starters...
Campag ones usually aren't too hard to track down. Modolo hoods fit the Campag levers too. You could also try: http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/

Dura Ace I'm not so sure about, but I'd start with ebay again.

if it was my eddy, and i was going to ride it, i would respect it with campy c-record stuff. as affordable as new low end stuff (on ebay) and you will gain serious style points.

snaps10 said:
if it was my eddy, and i was going to ride it, i would respect it with campy c-record stuff. as affordable as new low end stuff (on ebay) and you will gain serious style points.
That is a very good idea! I have been fiddling with it a little, and thinking about it a lot. I don't want to go new style, 10-speed triple, shifters on the brake levers, etc. I think Campy derailleurs and brakes will be perfect. I had forgotten that I already have a Campy seatpost that is in very good shape!

I've become too old and fat and slow to think about being competitive; this will just be for riding around, trying to lose some of the tonnage I've picked up since plantaar fasciitis laid me low 20 years ago.

What does a 6 or 7 speed Campy free wheel set up cost cost, if you can find one?

interested said:
7 speed cassettes and even 6 speed cassettes are readily available, same with chains. They are cheap too.
Any leads? I haven't found any so far. I'd like a 7 speed. I have bought a Campy Super Record crankset with chain rings, and derailleurs.

One thing I have found is a bewildering variety of dimensions, measurements, threading, Italian, English, etc at various places, bottom brackets, etc. Is there a place to find out what I have?

This is a learning experience, that's for sure! TIA

NativeTexan said:
Any leads? I haven't found any so far. I'd like a 7 speed. I have bought a Campy Super Record crankset with chain rings, and derailleurs.

One thing I have found is a bewildering variety of dimensions, measurements, threading, Italian, English, etc at various places, bottom brackets, etc. Is there a place to find out what I have?

This is a learning experience, that's for sure! TIA

look at: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html
It'll tell you all you need to know about stuff you didn't even know you didn't know!

For a casssette, any long-established LBS should have one. Ditto the chain. Otherwise Ebay, otherwise I've got a screw-on one you can have, but postage from France might be a bit hefty!

Just my 0.02... I have a pair of 1970 vintage Falcon San Remo bikes, all Campy Record. And the gear works very well, despite being 35 years old. I did some refurbishing on them, and they are excellent riding bikes, and classy looking, too.

Keep in mind that...

1. as has been mentioned, your axle spacing won't be right for modern gear.

2. Choose a modern headset carefully. Most modern headsets are for threadless forks, whereas your EM will have a threaded fork. Campy still makes a headset for a threaded fork.

3. The EM is a venerable bike, it would look really good with vintage Campy gear on it.

Hop on ebay, they have a cycling section. Under road bikes, they have a vintage bike section. And under the vintage bike section, they have a parts section. You can refit your bike with 1980's vintage Campy gear for not a great deal of money. A pair of wheels with 6 or 7 spd freewheel shouldn't be much over $100, probably less. The old Campy low flange hubs look very elegant. Old Record cranksets are sinfully cheap - $20. Derailleurs should be $20-30 each. Shifters should be in the same range. Not sure what a headset sells for, though it should probably be in the same price range. Old Record brake levers are around $50-60/set, last time I looked, and be sure to budget $20 for a pair of Modolo hoods - if the levers have the original Campy gum hoods, they'll be dry rotted by now. One thing to beware of - the old Campy steel cage pedals are highly prized, and expensive - $100+ for a clean pair. Might want to consider something more generic.

While refitting my Falcons, I did put on a new freehub and a new chain. Around $30-40 for a new/old stock Regina d'Oro chain, and $25 for a new cassette.

Top it off with a modern saddle, and you're ready to ride.

NativeTexan said:
That is a very good idea! I have been fiddling with it a little, and thinking about it a lot. I don't want to go new style, 10-speed triple, shifters on the brake levers, etc. I think Campy derailleurs and brakes will be perfect. I had forgotten that I already have a Campy seatpost that is in very good shape!

I've become too old and fat and slow to think about being competitive; this will just be for riding around, trying to lose some of the tonnage I've picked up since plantaar fasciitis laid me low 20 years ago.

What does a 6 or 7 speed Campy free wheel set up cost cost, if you can find one?

JohnO said:
Just my 0.02... I have a pair of 1970 vintage Falcon San Remo bikes, all Campy Record. And the gear works very well, despite being 35 years old. I did some refurbishing on them, and they are excellent riding bikes, and classy looking, too.

Keep in mind that...

1. as has been mentioned, your axle spacing won't be right for modern gear.

2. Choose a modern headset carefully. Most modern headsets are for threadless forks, whereas your EM will have a threaded fork. Campy still makes a headset for a threaded fork.

3. The EM is a venerable bike, it would look really good with vintage Campy gear on it.

Hop on ebay, they have a cycling section. Under road bikes, they have a vintage bike section. And under the vintage bike section, they have a parts section. You can refit your bike with 1980's vintage Campy gear for not a great deal of money. A pair of wheels with 6 or 7 spd freewheel shouldn't be much over $100, probably less. The old Campy low flange hubs look very elegant. Old Record cranksets are sinfully cheap - $20. Derailleurs should be $20-30 each. Shifters should be in the same range. Not sure what a headset sells for, though it should probably be in the same price range. Old Record brake levers are around $50-60/set, last time I looked, and be sure to budget $20 for a pair of Modolo hoods - if the levers have the original Campy gum hoods, they'll be dry rotted by now. One thing to beware of - the old Campy steel cage pedals are highly prized, and expensive - $100+ for a clean pair. Might want to consider something more generic.

While refitting my Falcons, I did put on a new freehub and a new chain. Around $30-40 for a new/old stock Regina d'Oro chain, and $25 for a new cassette.

Top it off with a modern saddle, and you're ready to ride.
And a very good $.02 it is!

I bought a crankset with chainrings, a front and rear derailleur and shifters all Campy Super Record so far, but got beat out on a Campy cassette that went for >$200. The crankset with chain rings was $180! The derailleurs were $70 each, too. I got overbid on a lot of other items, like the cassette!

I'll stay with Look pedals. I had the first bike with Look pedals at the San Diego time trials back in, ohh, 1982 or 3, whenever they first came out... still have them on my Bianchi. The best idea in cycling since the Skid-lids were outmoded by real brain buckets. I'm not aiming for a competition bike, mind you, just a pleasant one. I'm too old and fat and slow at the moment to think about anything else.

I made the rounds of the principal LBS over the weekend and they were pretty much a dry hole. All have the new shiny stuff, 10 speed, aluminum, carbon fibre, titanium, with strange names. I felt like Rip Van Winkle!!!!:eek: