Regaining explosive power

beison

Feb 18, 2008
So something I've been noticing in my recent races, is that compared to the other cat 3 guys, I'm lacking in the explosive power department. I still have the same or even better top end than most, but it's the rate I reach that top end that I have a problem with.
Like, today I took 3rd in the field sprint, but everyone totally got the jump on me first, and rode me off their wheel. I only barely was able to catch back up to pass a bunch of people by the time we crossed the line.

First question though, I've recently been racing with my powertap wheel that's laced to a open pro rim. I crashed the wheel and trued it, but a couple spokes are kinda loose and I think I'm gonna rebuild it soon. Prior to using the powertap wheel, I was using a Kyserium SL tubular in the back. Could the open pro/powertap wheel be the source of my lack of explosive acceleration when I attack/sprint?

Second question, if it's not the wheel's fault, and it's mine, does anyone have any suggestions for mid-season explosive power training?

Thanks a bunch for the advice!

I doubt it's the wheel - but I'd get a rebuild on it anyway. I'm not sure with too many floppy spokes that the torque tube in the hub will get to measure the torque accurately if the wheel is in a half-assed state.

If you want to verify that it is/isn't the wheel, pop the other wheel back in and see what happens in the sprint. That'd be my highly scientific way of seeing what the scoop is. :p

swampy1970 said:
I doubt it's the wheel - but I'd get a rebuild on it anyway. I'm not sure with too many floppy spokes that the torque tube in the hub will get to measure the torque accurately if the wheel is in a half-assed state.

The torque tube doesn't care about the spokes, rim, tire or brakes. All that stuff is downstream of where torque is measured.

Is it possible that you are reacting too slow when the hammer comes down. Maybe you need to practice quick countering moves so you can stay with the break rather than playing catch up.
Just a though as I may be way off base.

I'd suggest thinking about what cog you're using as you line up for the sprint, as it seems like many folks begin their sprint in too big a gear. Do some ~20sec sprint intervals from the same point on the road someday, using different starting gears for each one. Then you can download the files and do some analysis of acceleration vs. top speed to see where your sweet spot is.

In many cases, giving up some top speed for a snappier jump will yield an overall sprint improvement when you look at how much distance is covered in a fixed time (20 sec). Plus, at the end of a race, we're even more likely to over-estimate how much gas we have left and how much gear we're really going to be able to turn, so it's kinda good to be in the habit of considering starting gear as we approach the finish.

kmavm said:
The torque tube doesn't care about the spokes, rim, tire or brakes. All that stuff is downstream of where torque is measured.
If that was the case then there wouldn't be a requirement (as listed in the owners manual) to have the wheel built at least 2x both sides.

From said manual...

[font=MyriadMM_400_600_][font=MyriadMM_400_600_]

IM[/font]​
[/font]PORTANT:

For your safety, the non-drive side of the PowerTap hub must be built with at least a 2x lacing pattern. Because of the patented PowerTap design, torque is transferred through the hub to the non-drive side. Failure to adhere to this precaution will void the warranty

[/font]​
[/font][font=MyriadMM_400_600_][font=MyriadMM_400_600_]

The wheel as a whole is very important for the functionality of a Powertap hub. If there was no requirement for minimum stiffness then there'd be no such warning and radial non-driveside spoking would be an option.

But like I said, I don't think it's the wheel...
[/font]
[/font]

swampy1970 said:

But like I said, I don't think it's the wheel...
[/font]
[/font]
=( I don't neither... it might be the gearing I use, but probably mostly i aint gots no explosion. Perhaps I could be likened to a locomotive...

Anyone got any suggestions for mid season explosive training that won't get in the way too much of weekend races, and midweek long workouts?

beison said:
...it might be the gearing I use, but probably mostly i aint gots no explosion. Perhaps I could be likened to a locomotive...
http://www.biketechreview.com/performance/mah_powerband.htm

beison said:
Anyone got any suggestions for mid season explosive training that won't get in the way too much of weekend races, and midweek long workouts?
I like small-ring jumps on a slight incline. From a very low starting speed I try to spin up a light gear (39x15 or so) as quickly as possible within about 10 strokes, then shut down and roll back to the start. Due to the very short nature of the jumps, I can easily do 6-10 without affecting the ability to do a regular workout afterwards.

kmavm said:
Despite the torque tube's feelings in the matter, it's the spokes, tire, and road grip which provide the resistance on one end of the tube so that the other end can be forced to deflect under the torque on the cassette. If the "fixed" end isn't held rigid by a stiff wheel and good road grip, then less torque will be seen by the strain gages.

frenchyge said:
http://www.biketechreview.com/performance/mah_powerband.htm

I like small-ring jumps on a slight incline. From a very low starting speed I try to spin up a light gear (39x15 or so) as quickly as possible within about 10 strokes, then shut down and roll back to the start. Due to the very short nature of the jumps, I can easily do 6-10 without affecting the ability to do a regular workout afterwards.
That's an interesting article. I also find myself lacking in the initial acceleration (oddly, only in races) and always end up playing catch up to the line. I narrowly lost 2 races already this year even though just before the line I was gaining. This past weekend someone that I know to be a climber (if not a pure climber) sprinted away from me just in that fashion. This seems to be a pattern even though when fresh I sprint at 19 W/kg (the highest numbers occurring in the first 3 seconds).