Rego? On yer bike (The HUN)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by PiledHigher, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher Guest

    Nice, but lets see what the fallout is from this one.

    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21070140-5000117,00.html

    ELLIOT Fishman writes: INCREASING bike sales and declining sales of
    locally made cars are a sign of the times.

    For the seventh consecutive year, Australians have bought more bikes
    than cars.

    This has sparked calls for bike riders to pay registration fees.

    The argument is that the fees would reduce driver antagonism towards
    cyclists.

    But, there are important reasons why charging registration fees for
    cycling would be bad policy.

    No other countries charge their cyclists such a fee.

    The Netherlands and Denmark don't, and they have some of the highest
    rates of cycling and road safety in the world.

    Cycling, for good reason, is seen as something that ought to be
    encouraged.

    Charging a fee would reduce the number of cyclists.

    Even mandatory helmet legislation in Australia in the early '90s
    lowered cyclist numbers by 30 per cent.

    At a time of rising obesity levels, spiralling congestion rates,
    climate change and high fuel costs, this is not the time to discourage
    cycling.

    Rather, there has never been a better time to reduce unnecessary car
    use and promote this pollution free, healthy, low-cost form of
    transport.

    Vehicle registration does not go close to paying the cost of motorised
    transport.

    Continues in the article........

    Tags:

  2. On 2007-01-16, PiledHigher <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Nice, but lets see what the fallout is from this one.
    >
    > http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21070140-5000117,00.html

    *stunned*

    The Herald Sun is the voice of reason in the bike rego debate?

    Somebody had better hand Satan the ice skates ...

    *reads the article*

    Oh, it's the opinion section. They're probably trolling for
    frothing-at-the-mouth motorists to write letters spewing with bile and
    wrath.

    (There's also a few mistakes, but hey, at least his heart is in the
    right place.)

  3. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    What a strange argument - rego doesn't seem to reduce the antagonism between motorists, why would it work for any other group?

    ali

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Ditto! Here's a link to that bloody mp3 again, with Nick McCallum going on and on and on and on about about the "respect" angle.

    Cyclist rego: (3AW 5/01/07)*
    http://www.woj.com.au/audio/3YawN_nm_20070105_rego1.mp3

    I'm off to ask RACV and TAC about their opinion about "respect". Hrrmmmm, this may prove to be an interesting exercise.

    *Warning: audio may contain traces of aliens

  5. Artoi

    Artoi Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > No other countries charge their cyclists such a fee.

    Not true. I am aware that China has a mandatory bike registration system
    with number plates. Bike riders get booked just like how we get booked
    driving our cars. Just no red light cameras with adequate resolution to
    read those plates under the seatpost.
    --

  6. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    abolished in 2004...no longer applies,

    although some money hungry cities have local parking registration for cars bikes and other "vehicles" that need a number...weird that bikes are in some programs but hey...they are pragmatic over there and ( now thinks aloud in chinese ) , "if its a vehicle after all...let's not be discretionary now" ( thinks in Chinese again...quietly..."discretion is a very rare thing in the "Centre of the World"")

    read this on abolishing http://www.china.org.cn/english/2004/Oct/110144.htm

  7. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    How funny is that! I read the headline, groaned and turned the page thinking "I can;t believe they're rehashing this one....".

    For the record, I didn't buy the Hun, it was in the coffee shop.... (I only read it for the pictures....)

  8. Artoi

    Artoi Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    rooman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Artoi Wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > No other countries charge their cyclists such a fee.

    > > Not true. I am aware that China has a mandatory bike registration
    > > system
    > > with number plates. Bike riders get booked just like how we get booked
    > > driving our cars. Just no red light cameras with adequate resolution to
    > > read those plates under the seatpost.
    > > --

    > abolished in 2004...no longer applies,
    >
    > although some money hungry cities have local parking registration for
    > cars bikes and other "vehicles" that need a number...weird that bikes
    > are in some programs but hey...they are pragmatic over there and ( now
    > thinks aloud in chinese ) , "-if its a vehicle after all...let's not be
    > discretionary now-" ( thinks in Chinese again...quietly..."-discretion
    > is a very rare thing in the "Centre of the World"")-
    >
    > read this on abolishing
    > http://www.china.org.cn/english/2004/Oct/110144.htm

    Thanks. That's interesting.
    --

  9. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    I was at one of the Universities in Beijing in 2004 and I did not notice a lot of 'registered' bicycles in the city, so I suspect that the level of compliance with the law was not high anyway.

    SteveA

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    > No other countries charge their cyclists such a fee.

    Switzerland still does. altho there's is more about recovering stolen bikes than anything else, cost approx 7 swiss Francs...