Regrets and old seat tube derailleur

Lightfoot21

Aug 7, 2010
I've been an avid bicyclist for many years and am really regretting getting rid of some of my bicycles and parts. Lately, I've been particularly regretful that I threw away some old derailleurs I had when I worked in a bike shop many years ago. I had an old english frame with a SEAT TUBE derailleur that you had to reach down and move manually. Have any of you ever seen one or do you know where I might find another? Also, are there others out ther that regret selling bicycles you once owned? I'm thinking that I'll keep all of them from now on.

Pictures please...

I remember down tube levers but despite riding over 25 years I've never seen anything that needs to be manually moved on the seat tube...

Lightfoot21 said:
I've been an avid bicyclist for many years and am really regretting getting rid of some of my bicycles and parts. Lately, I've been particularly regretful that I threw away some old derailleurs I had when I worked in a bike shop many years ago. I had an old english frame with a SEAT TUBE derailleur that you had to reach down and move manually. Have any of you ever seen one or do you know where I might find another? Also, are there others out ther that regret selling bicycles you once owned? I'm thinking that I'll keep all of them from now on.

I have one on an old Rivetts, hanging from my ceiling in the shop. Huret FD but Campagnolo made one also..in the 50's. Don't know where you could get another tho.

I regret selling a MXLeader and also a really nice DeRosa with Neuron tubeset.

Lightfoot21 said:
Was the seat tube shifter for an internal, 3-speed hub or for a 2-or-more external gear (i.e., Freewheel) hub?

Is part of your regret because you like the location OR because of something else (e.g., nostalgia)?

I still have the frame the seat tube changer was attached to. It has braze ons for the rear derailleur and on the fork there is a braze on to attach a support for a lantern/light. Unfortunately, I stripped the frame down, got rid of the derailluers, crank and chainrings, shifters etc. and made a "modern" bike out of it. I still ride it, but wish I had saved the antique parts. It was English for sure. I believe it had Carlton stickers on it.

Peter@vecchios said:
I have one on an old Rivetts, hanging from my ceiling in the shop. Huret FD but Campagnolo made one also..in the 50's. Don't know where you could get another tho.

I regret selling a MXLeader and also a really nice DeRosa with Neuron tubeset.

No the shifter shifted from one chain ring to the other (I believe they were very close in size and the larger one was about 52 teeth). My regrets are related to nostalgia and the fact that I now value old things that I did not when I was younger...just like old tools.

alfeng said:
Was the seat tube shifter for an internal, 3-speed hub or for a 2-or-more external gear (i.e., Freewheel) hub?

Is part of your regret because you like the location OR because of something else (e.g., nostalgia)?

I think you mean a shifter; most front derailleurs are mounted on the seat tube.

I saw a bike with a shifter meeting your description on the classic & vintage forum of bikeforums.net. Generally they have a more active old bike community than here.