Regrets...post race.

Muchos gracias, Dave. I would relate sprint power numbers but while I narrowly avoided a crash with about 10 laps to go, either one of downed riders or his bike made contact with my rear tire causing it to blow about 10 seconds later. Luckily there was neutral support so I got my PT wheel changed out for a neutral...FYI, taking out the zeros via Power Agent (don't have NP/CyclingPeaks), average power for the 31mins that got recorded was 340w. Normal average power (with zeros) was 280w. It was a pretty hard race as it was a technical course requiring frequent jumps out of the corners to maintain position.

popcorn.gif

tonyzackery said:
Just wanted to see how many of you out there ever have the feeling that you should put out more effort to get a better result in race.

I just finished up the Tour de Delta crit for the cat 3/4 men and I'm coming away unfulfilled in that I finished 8th (out of about 40), but I left alot still in the tank. I sat in for most of the 30 minute flat 0.9k crit in downtown Ladner, BC. I was feeling good, heartrate under control, and even bridged up to break of 4 that didn't want to work anymore once they noticed I was there (I have an excellent sprint).

The finish involved a very technical and tight turn and I was probably 8th wheel going in but got behind a couple very bad wheels (guys with no sprint) and had to slow down TWICE! I got back on it after losing a few spots and managed a top 10. I don't think my HR got to 180 (max 189) so I know I didn't work that hard in the final sprint.

I'm kicking myself now because I should've busted a lung going into that last corner and came out 3rd or 4th wheel as less than 1 second separated 1st to 10th. I hate when I don't give everything I've got...I train to hard to not leave it all on the race course...
Brothers are like that, but you seem to be doing better than others. The next time say **** I'm going into this mofo and these rednecks better get out of my way.

tonyzackery said:
Not necessarily pouting about any regrets in this post. Had my two "A" crits this past weekend and results were so-so. Got a 3rd place on Saturday in the more prestigous crit (Sidney Grand Prix Cat. 3/4 combined) and a 2nd five (6-10th) finish on Sunday (Oak Bay Cops for Cancer).

Thanks to Duane Martindale for the photos...

Very cool photos. Very good result.

Damn! Already making entries on this thread...

Anyway, last night was the Thursday weekly flat, 1.3k circuit crit. Rode with the 'A' (Cat. 1/2 and several strong 3s) group as I just didn't get the workout I was looking for (extended threshold effort) in the 'B' group last week - finished 2nd by a tire to my teammate; ran out of room at the finish. 'B' group was too much on/off, start/stop defensive racing where the average speed was ~ 41-42kph - felt slower though.

Back to last night, pace was indeed faster - 44-45k average. Lots of attacks and accelerations. Didn't have the PT wheel, but it felt like a solid 320-330w NP average race. About 35mins. duration. Definitely got my threshold work in, but in hindsight I just didn't race very smart. Wasted too much energy hastily closing gaps where I could've taken it just that much easier and steadily closed the gap. Could've sat in the back more in the draft as this course is nowhere close to being selective or advantageous to a breakaway. Should've just tailgunned til the last lap and sprinted at the end. Could've gotten a top 5 instead of an 8-10th out of 30 or so. But hey, said I wanted the workout, right? Got that, but post-race analysis is always important...Too much 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' last night for my liking...until next week...

Couple Sunday's ago I went over to Victoria on Vancouver Island to do the Bastion Square Crit - a typical 'up and down', 30sec anaerobic effort hill repeat type crit. Because of the 930am start and 11/2hr ferry ride, myself and the family (wife, daughter, and dog) take the ferry over Saturday night and stay in a hotel.

I wasn't too concerned about the intensity of the race because I got a top 5 a couple years in the cat.4, but now I'm a 3 and didn't anticipate a great leap in severity. However, I didn't feel like packing my trainer for warm-up purposes, so I took off early on the bike from the hotel for the race venue (~15 mins away).

I spin over to the venue and ride around some more all the while not doing any hard enough efforts to get the typeII muscles fully activated producing and clearing lactic acid. Boy was that a huge mistake. Gun goes off and it's basically balls to the walls for the first 10mins or so - vastly different start from that I remembered a couple years ago . I knew there going to be trouble when the legs started loading up almost immediately and my body wasn't clearing the hydrogen/phosphate ions adequately on the down side of the course. Slowly but surely I started going backwards in relation to the pack and sure enough I was off the back after about 10mins of "racing". Disappointing, to put it mildy.

Race was very much like the Tuesday night crits around here of which I've been consistenly placing in the top 10. Had good feelings about my training going into this race but was completely and utterly shattered afterward. Oh well, came home immediately afterward and drowned my sorrows by spending 2.5hrs on the trainer.

On a flat course I can get away with improper warm-up, but definitely not on any course that involves repeated, high torque efforts - already knew this, but I just had to learn the hard way...live and learn not to make the same mistakes...

What's a typell muscle? If I ask my physio to massage my 'typell' will I get a slap?

^^ Appears you may need to file a complaint with your parents as to your obvious deficiency in type-ii muscle - even though I'd really like to, but I just can't help ya' there, bud...:D

4 pages of regrets. I'm surprised that Mavic hasn't come out with a Tony Z limited edition wheelset - the Krying-sum. ;)

swampy1970 said:
4 pages of regrets. I'm surprised that Mavic hasn't come out with a Tony Z limited edition wheelset - the Krying-sum. ;)

What's your excuse? You've been whinin', *****in', poutin', for over 18 months now - and still goin' strong...:D

Copy and Paste: It really is a strong indication that you have the upper hand on someone's psyche when after 18 months and umpteen number of different threads they're still clamoring for your attention and win your approval. Talk about perserverance - the guy's got more stamina than the Energizer bunny on EPO:D...

I know many of you out there see this as clearly as I. With that said, somebody please PM and help this guy out with some direction - it's really gotten out of hand...

swampy1970 said:
You racist SOB:rolleyes:

Jono L said:

Wow! LOL! First Tweedle-dee, now Tweedle-dum has come to join him on this thread too.

"I've got the power!" (really liked that tune back in the day) Now I've got the upper hand on two, count 'em two, weak minds. Someone really should stick something in both of their mouths as my zipper's still stuck...:D

Jono L said:

I know I'm terrible.

Next I'll be accused of racism because I sold the black ksyrium SL premium wheels that came with the Cannondale Hi-Mod... not because I didn't need/want them but because they were black and I wanted them gone. :p

As I recently posted on another thread:

"Never tried bikeforums.com. Have had very similiar experiences with folks at bikeforums.net. A bunch of know-it-all, bike snob pricks over there too..."

And the two twitnits above bear witness that this fourm is not immune to prickish behaviour as well...the both of 'em - goin' on 18 months of hangin' on my sack:D. LOL! If I didn't have to deal with their kind daily their antics may have put me off a bit, but small minded mental midgets abound throughout the world - just gotta' know how to control 'em...

Not necessarily a "regret" entry per se, but as always - the perfectionist that I am - I find something that I shoulda, woulda, coulda done differently with hindsight being my guide...

Steveston Sockeye Crit for Cat. 3/4 men yesterday. My last big race of the season. Flat, .9km rectangular course with generous turns that do funnel a slight bit, and beautifully long straightaways. Start/finish about 250 meters from the last turn. Barriers alongside with flat metal "feet" sticking out some 12" onto the course. 35mins + 3 laps.

This kind of course was "right in my wheelhouse" - translation > I should rip it up. I would characterize it as a 'dragstrip' and similar to the club crit I frequent on Thursdays.

Race went according to plan. First 10mins was 'hold onto your hats fast', probably 46-47kph average and then it settled down. The organizers were throwin' out primes every 3 minutes in order to keep the pace high, and their plan was definitely successful. I stayed in the first 10 positions (~40-45 starters) as planned so things were very smooth for me - very light braking and no out of the saddle sprinting out of the corners. Had a couple teammates that stayed further back to their peril - they finished the race but one went down (roadrash) and the other got clipped on his arm by a guy's tire when the guy crashed. I heard those sickening sounds of carbon and metal crunching but you know not to turn around and look, or next thing you know you'll be face-planted.

A few primes went by and I wasn't interested as they were pretty small ($20-25). Then a $75 prime bell rang and I was on it. Moved up to 3rd wheel or so coming out of the 3rd corner and sat at 2nd wheel corner coming out of the last turn. Jumped hard and because of my reputation locally no one challenged me. Gapped the field by 50 meters, at least. Cha-ching. Taking the wife and daughter out for dinner sometime this week;).

Won that prime easily but the sensations in my legs were not good after, nor before then. I had went out for 3hrs on Friday (fairly easy ride, but WAY TOO LONG - my first regret) and I was feeling the soreness in my glutes. It subsided a little as the race went on but I was constantly feeling the fatigue. Didn't bother with the remaining small primes (a couple were for "wax jobs" - I KID YOU NOT! - from a local salon) and just sat in near the front.

Cut to the last lap. I'm sitting 4th wheel. A former teammate of mine took a flyer with 2 laps to go and built a good lead but it was apparent we in the field were just measuring him. The sensations in my legs were not great but I felt I still had something left for a good sprint. Coming out of the last turn I'm still in the same spot and the guys in front of me go to the left. I carried more speed through the apex so I drifted a bit further out to the right but making sure to avoid the barrier 'feet'. I jump a little late but because the finish was some distane I felt I had enough time to make up the distance and get on the podium at the very least. However, remember my former teammate who took the flyer was still out front and dying fast. As I was coming up to him he drifts to the right - DIRECTLY into my line so I have to shut 'er down about 75 meters from the line. A couple guys behind me zoom by and I probably finish 6th or 7th.

Give my buddy **** afterwards about sabotaging my race - half joking, half serious.:D I know he had no idea I, of all people, was there. Do I regret carrying that extra speed through the turn - of course not. If my bud had drifted to the left, things woulda turned out differently. Woulda, coulda, shoulda - gotta love racin'...

No more Gilligan's Island '3 Hour Tour' rides a couple days before a big race...

tonyzackery said:
Not necessarily a "regret" entry per se, but as always - the perfectionist that I am - I find something that I shoulda, woulda, coulda done differently with hindsight being my guide...

Steveston Sockeye Crit for Cat. 3/4 men yesterday. My last big race of the season. Flat, .9km rectangular course with generous turns that do funnel a slight bit, and beautifully long straightaways. Start/finish about 250 meters from the last turn. Barriers alongside with flat metal "feet" sticking out some 12" onto the course. 35mins + 3 laps.

This kind of course was "right in my wheelhouse" - translation > I should rip it up. I would characterize it as a 'dragstrip' and similar to the club crit I frequent on Thursdays.

Race went according to plan. First 10mins was 'hold onto your hats fast', probably 46-47kph average and then it settled down. The organizers were throwin' out primes every 3 minutes in order to keep the pace high, and their plan was definitely successful. I stayed in the first 10 positions (~40-45 starters) as planned so things were very smooth for me - very light braking and no out of the saddle sprinting out of the corners. Had a couple teammates that stayed further back to their peril - they finished the race but one went down (roadrash) and the other got clipped on his arm by a guy's tire when the guy crashed. I heard those sickening sounds of carbon and metal crunching but you know not to turn around and look, or next thing you know you'll be face-planted.

A few primes went by and I wasn't interested as they were pretty small ($20-25). Then a $75 prime bell rang and I was on it. Moved up to 3rd wheel or so coming out of the 3rd corner and sat at 2nd wheel corner coming out of the last turn. Jumped hard and because of my reputation locally no one challenged me. Gapped the field by 50 meters, at least. Cha-ching. Taking the wife and daughter out for dinner sometime this week;).

Won that prime easily but the sensations in my legs were not good after, nor before then. I had went out for 3hrs on Friday (fairly easy ride, but WAY TOO LONG - my first regret) and I was feeling the soreness in my glutes. It subsided a little as the race went on but I was constantly feeling the fatigue. Didn't bother with the remaining small primes (a couple were for "wax jobs" - I KID YOU NOT! - from a local salon) and just sat in near the front.

Cut to the last lap. I'm sitting 4th wheel. A former teammate of mine took a flyer with 2 laps to go and built a good lead but it was apparent we in the field were just measuring him. The sensations in my legs were not great but I felt I still had something left for a good sprint. Coming out of the last turn I'm still in the same spot and the guys in front of me go to the left. I carried more speed through the apex so I drifted a bit further out to the right but making sure to avoid the barrier 'feet'. I jump a little late but because the finish was some distane I felt I had enough time to make up the distance and get on the podium at the very least. However, remember my former teammate who took the flyer was still out front and dying fast. As I was coming up to him he drifts to the right - DIRECTLY into my line so I have to shut 'er down about 75 meters from the line. A couple guys behind me zoom by and I probably finish 6th or 7th.

Give my buddy **** afterwards about sabotaging my race - half joking, half serious.:D I know he had no idea I, of all people, was there. Do I regret carrying that extra speed through the turn - of course not. If my bud had drifted to the left, things woulda turned out differently. Woulda, coulda, shoulda - gotta love racin'...

No more Gilligan's Island '3 Hour Tour' rides a couple days before a big race...

Free dinner - that's always nice... but I had you down as the type that'd go for the his 'n hers 'wax job' :p

As a general courtesy, riders who realize they've no chance will move over to one side or the other in order not to become a road hazzard... Just sayin ;) but like you said it's all part of the lottery that is racing.

swampy1970 said:
Free dinner - that's always nice... but I had you down as the type that'd go for the his 'n hers 'wax job' :p

As a general courtesy, riders who realize they've no chance will move over to one side or the other in order not to become a road hazzard... Just sayin ;) but like you said it's all part of the lottery that is racing.

I too have watched enough sprints on TV (and been party to quite a few) to know that a dying rider should not move left or right in the final 100 meters of sprint...200 meters or more from the line makes sense, but the closer to the line, definitely the more hazardous...things like this happen in a split second, so as I already mentioned I don't fault my bud/former teammate one bit...

tonyzackery said:
I too have watched enough sprints on TV (and been party to quite a few) to know that a dying rider should not move left or right in the final 100 meters of sprint...200 meters or more from the line makes sense, but the closer to the line, definitely the more hazardous...things like this happen in a split second, so as I already mentioned I don't fault my bud/former teammate one bit...

Yeah... because staying in the middle of the road where you effectively become moving road furniture to those who ain't on the front of the bunch during a gallop and only see you less than a second before they pile into you makes sooooo much sense.

I've been on the receive end of a few p1ssed off riders' rants and flying fists after races for NOT moving over. I could get away with being up there in a bunch gallop as a 2nd or 3rd cat rider - with the 1st cats, forget it - I had to have a crack and try and get off the front. Never worked in anything other than local races but I have a few national class riders give me some sh1t about being a mobile road hazard come the finish... So, I'll take their word for it.

Besides, unless it's a direct headwind, who's gonna be slap bang in the middle ofthe road anyway when trying to make a break.

^^ Negative on the moving over in the last 100 meters of a sprint; irrespective of your unverified (although verification is never necessary on internet forums) "anecdotal evidence"...

So it makes more sense in your mind to try to dodge road furniture that's MOVING left or right than road furniture situated in the middle of the road??? LOL! You can't really believe you just made that remark, can you??? Well, I definitely can believe you made that remark judging from those past...

Leave it alone as you and I know you won't be near an actual sprint, be it a cat. 5 race, any time soon...:cool:

"Road furniture" in that scenario being the dying rider... just incase you were to dumb to realize. I certainly hope you didn't think I meant 'traffic lights, bollards in the middle of the road etc' suddenly moving to one side or the other. If you did I'd be asking what you were drinking/snorting/smoking. ;)

... and yeah, you won't catch me in a sprint with a bunch of Cat5 riders. I like my bike in one piece - I'll either be off the front or off the back from trying to get off the front and failing. I actually fear riding with some of the local guys who are cat 5 cause their bike handling skills are on a par with a shopping basket in a hurricane - I'd be taking a clinic and getting half the credits required for cat 4 in the saftey of somewhere safe I tell ya.

Got a time trial in a couple of weeks... Should be interesting. Nothing like the race of truth to tell me how much I suck. I know where I am in relation to Andy's power profile chart but to actually compare it against race results would be nice. The a 200 mile, 2 day stage race a couple of weeks after that.