regular to TT bars switch

jayhunter

Aug 11, 2005
Just ordered a Cervelo Soloist Team to double as a regular road bike and TT bike. How long does it take to switch bar types and is it difficult? Just priced a full TT bar setup and will run me about 500 with levers and bars. Running Zipp 404s for both types of riding.

Are you planning to swap the road bar with a TT bar, or just mount clip ons? I recently installed a set of Profile T2 Cobra clip ons on my road bike. Once I dialed in the set up, I took note of exact placement of the clip ons on my road bar. I also installed a tri saddle on its own seat post (Thomson set back installed in reverse direction). Now it takes me about 3 minutes to go from road config to TT config. For a dual use bike, this approach made more sense to me, and was considerably less expensive, than swapping road bar with a TT bar (with bar end shifters).

jayhunter said:
Just ordered a Cervelo Soloist Team to double as a regular road bike and TT bike. How long does it take to switch bar types and is it difficult? Just priced a full TT bar setup and will run me about 500 with levers and bars. Running Zipp 404s for both types of riding.

russw said:
Are you planning to swap the road bar with a TT bar, or just mount clip ons? I recently installed a set of Profile T2 Cobra clip ons on my road bike. Once I dialed in the set up, I took note of exact placement of the clip ons on my road bar. I also installed a tri saddle on its own seat post (Thomson set back installed in reverse direction). Now it takes me about 3 minutes to go from road config to TT config. For a dual use bike, this approach made more sense to me, and was considerably less expensive, than swapping road bar with a TT bar (with bar end shifters).
I just did the dsame exact thing. Proffesional fit on my road bike in a TT set-up with Jammer GT clip-ons and a spare seatpost and saddle. Everything is marked and measured.

YOU can put a base bar and aero bars and put thumb shifters on-but then again, what if you get to the line and your thumb shifters arent shifting under load well and you didnt know cause you never put out 600 watts up a hill and shifted on them like in a TT!! Also-theres only so low you can get on your road bike before bad things start to happen like **** poor handling, knees hitting your chest, etc...

Maybe try clip-ons and a TT seat and saddle set-up. russw's set-up with reversed Thomson probably nets him another ~2cm more he can shove his seat forward so another 2 degrees of seat angle..again estimate!!

Ray

russw said:
Looking to go with full TT bars. Thought of clipons, but want to see all options before deciding.

I won't try to discourage you from this option, but for me, practically speaking (i.e., not being a bike mechanic who can swap components in his sleep) full TT bar was a more "permanent" solution. Meaning, I would not likely be converting back and forth as it'd be too much of a hassle. If you're only doing one or two TTs a year, or have a second road bike in your arsenal, this may not be an issue. Since I was able to get into an ideal aero position with set up noted (bike is a Trek Madone 5.9 SL), other than a cleaner look (can't discount the cool look factor:) ) and bar end shifters (not critical for me), the full TT bar had more downside than upside. Good luck with the Soloist. Beautiful bike.

jayhunter said:
Looking to go with full TT bars. Thought of clipons, but want to see all options before deciding.

I love my clip-ons (bought them from felt). I'm not into TT so I'm not an expert, but I would think that it would take me a while (and alot of fustration) to switch out the bars and shifters. If you can do it, by all means go for it! Most TTers I know have a TT set-up and use the bike for the road and time trials.

OoAmericanGirl said:
I love my clip-ons (bought them from felt). I'm not into TT so I'm not an expert, but I would think that it would take me a while (and alot of fustration) to switch out the bars and shifters. If you can do it, by all means go for it! Most TTers I know have a TT set-up and use the bike for the road and time trials.
Yeah, I am still not sure what I will do. Most of my training rides are 15-35 miles, alone, and a constant race against how I did on my last ride on that same course. I would say 90% if not all of the CAT 5 events I will take part in this season will be TTs. I guess it makes sense for me to just build a TT bike and change the bars for the odd event where I am riding in a large group. I also dont have a whole lot of time to train during the week. Work in NYC and commute 2 hours each way...... Hard to build a good base for 60-100 mile races given my schedule. TT races seem to work best for me. At least I can train for them, as most around here are 10K.

Heres a pic of my bike in TT set-up. I dont have the seat post for TT on, but it wouldnt look any different. Nice and tidy set-up.

400021596_4ca1204971.jpg

Ray, do you find that you're low enough with this set up, even with bars as low on stem as possible? I don't have a picture of my set up handy, but I've got my elbows pads a good 3" lower than nose of my saddle, in order to get in a good aero position. And I'm still not as low as I probably should be. Is the ability to get low an issue with slopping top tube frames (as they generally have longer head tubes)? If this is true, then the Cervelo would not be the ideal bike to put TT bars on because you can't get low enough. For short races like Jay is planning, he may be better just riding in the drops of a regular road bar. He'd likely be more aero, and the short races wouldn't really require the "comfort" factor that slip ons provide. Thoughts?

rayhuang said:
Heres a pic of my bike in TT set-up. I dont have the seat post for TT on, but it wouldnt look any different. Nice and tidy set-up.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/400021596_4ca1204971.jpg?v=0

russw said:
Ray, do you find that you're low enough with this set up, even with bars as low on stem as possible? I don't have a picture of my set up handy, but I've got my elbows pads a good 3" lower than nose of my saddle, in order to get in a good aero position. And I'm still not as low as I probably should be. Is the ability to get low an issue with slopping top tube frames (as they generally have longer head tubes)? If this is true, then the Cervelo would not be the ideal bike to put TT bars on because you can't get low enough. For short races like Jay is planning, he may be better just riding in the drops of a regular road bar. He'd likely be more aero, and the short races wouldn't really require the "comfort" factor that slip ons provide. Thoughts?
I asked Mike (the fit guy) the exact same questions and he was adamant that untill I buy a full on TT bike-that this is as low as I want to go on a regular bike, but that I should still be competitive. Taking out the lowest spacer or a deeper drop stem or a more forward position on the saddle would make for more disadvantages than advantages. Things like too much weight on the front wheel, uncomfortable, thighs hitting my chest as well as having to rebuild the front end everytime I put on the TT set-up.

So I guess the answer is no-its NOT low enough, but its the best compromise and as my coach , Mike and I discussed, its a great interum set-up that gets me to that super slammed aero position gradually. My big TT race of the years at the end of June so I have time.

And although I would agree that getting in the drops gets a flatter back and thats more important than anything as far a body position, I personally find it hard to keep my elbows bent in the drops for long periods, not to mention theres that whole thighs hitting the chest thing again and maybe non optimal hip angle. For me hammering in a full aero position in the drops lowers my cadance, but thats just me. I only do it for short bursts or inot whicked head winds.

Thanks Ray. Good discussion. While I'm not a cycling coach, and I'm not trying to second guess Mike, it seems to me you could theoretically go a lot lower and not encounter the problems you state. I say theorectically because you are as low as your bike geometry will allow, within the safety margin of not removing all your stem spacers and risking a steering tube failure. But when you look at the standard position of a TTer, his/her weight is clearly front end biased. Seems to me that if one was going to suffer any handling issues with so much weight up front, it would be with the shorter relative rake of TT bikes, not with typical road bike. You'd still be left with problem of finding the right balance between power, comfort and aero. But you'd be doing it with more aero benefit on the table. Just a thought.

Anyway, Jay will have to decide if 10K races are too long to hang in the drops (and perhaps alternate with resting his forearms on the tops of the bar with hands straddling the hoods). Just wanted him to be aware of this potential trade off as he builds up his Cervelo.

rayhuang said:
I asked Mike (the fit guy) the exact same questions and he was adamant that untill I buy a full on TT bike-that this is as low as I want to go on a regular bike, but that I should still be competitive. Taking out the lowest spacer or a deeper drop stem or a more forward position on the saddle would make for more disadvantages than advantages. Things like too much weight on the front wheel, uncomfortable, thighs hitting my chest as well as having to rebuild the front end everytime I put on the TT set-up.

So I guess the answer is no-its NOT low enough, but its the best compromise and as my coach , Mike and I discussed, its a great interum set-up that gets me to that super slammed aero position gradually. My big TT race of the years at the end of June so I have time.

And although I would agree that getting in the drops gets a flatter back and thats more important than anything as far a body position, I personally find it hard to keep my elbows bent in the drops for long periods, not to mention theres that whole thighs hitting the chest thing again and maybe non optimal hip angle. For me hammering in a full aero position in the drops lowers my cadance, but thats just me. I only do it for short bursts or inot whicked head winds.

Russw-remember as well that in a full out TT bike-the rear wheel is shoved forward, thus taking weight off the front wheel. So you get the advantages of the 76 to 80 degree seat angle (which is you can now move forward, opening up the hip angle, dropping your arms way down on the lower head tube while not having your legs hit your chest even with a flat back).

jayhunter said:

Joining the thread late, but will offer an opinion.

The Soloist should make a pretty good TT bike--not as good as a frame built around TT position, but pretty good. You can make a full TT bar set-up and make the switch in about 15-30 minutes depending on how good you are. You would have to disconnect and reconnect your brakes and shifters and make sure your headset is properly adjusted. For an internally routed frame like the Soloist this is a bit more of a pain than for frames with external cables. You probably would want a different stem for your TT set-up as most people ride a little shorter (and lower) stem with TT than with road bars--of course this depends on your individual anatomy.

I actually agree with the majority here that if you are going to use the same bike for road and TT riding, then clip-ons is the way to go. Yes, the TT set-up looks sexier, but is probably not really any faster. Maybe a little lighter depending on your component choice but most TTs are pretty flat, so weight differences aren't that important.

If you want a bar-end shifter for your rear shifting on your clip-on TT set-up, consider a JTek shift lever adapter in line with your rear shifter.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I have decided to go with clipon bars for 2 reasons. One is the ease of switching to a normal road bike config. 2nd: If I do decide to go to a full TT setup, I can just buy the bullhorn base bar, brake levers, and shifters. Thanks again. Frame is coming Fri....looking forward to having it put together. Stripping all of the components from my Trek 2200.