Rehab Protocols for Multiple Trauma Rehab

larrynipon

Sep 17, 2003
On August 29th, while on my bike, I was hit head on by a car going 40mph. Outcome... 3 surgeries, 1 month hospitalized, long rehab ahead. I've attached the post-op pictures of the left knee and right ankle. I am just starting to get on the bike on a Wahoo Kickr or Computrainer.

Neither my physical therapist or surgeons are cyclists. I'm getting great care, but not educated advice on the best approach to my training. I've done several rides, from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. All painful, but each an improvement over the prior 1. My instinct tells me that slope mode workouts are what I should be doing, since I've got no baseline for where my power output is.

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone reading this thread that has professional or first hand experience or training in this area. My knee (patella reconstruction) is the issue, from both flexion and strength considerations.

I'm never sure when I'm in the therapeutic zone vs. the "doing damage" zone. I can't really use pain as the barometer because it always hurts, it's just a question of how much. The good news is the flexion has improved considerably in just the past couple of weeks. The ankle is stiff, sore, but not horribly painful...and improving slowly but steadily. My goal is to be back outside by April 15th. I want to be careful not to overdue it and set myself back, since that will take twice as long to get where I want to be. But, I want to go as hard as I can without crossing that line.

I'd be grateful to anyone who is inclined to help with whatever advice they can give. Workouts, efforts, rest...whatever. Thanks in advance to everyone that responds.

Larry

What is your physio saying, even if not in respect to training in respect to the nature of pain that is good versus bad (e.g. the pain that comes from the stretching tendons, breaking down scar tissue etc. that you need to do, vs the pain that will hurt, and how you might recognise the two in your cycling.)

I'd see if your physio can refer you to one who has more experience.