rehi, and notes on using a trainer

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Callas, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Callas

    Callas Guest

    Well, I've been doing 30 mins on the trainer in the kitchen each day for the last, hmm,
    month I think.

    Line up half an hour of mp3s, put the headphones on, and off we go.

    Fitness is returning; my average is about 21.5mph now, which gives me about 11 miles (this is for
    the full 30 mins). I get through about 475 kcal.

    I've noticed that the period of warming up at the start, where the body gets the idea and starts to
    get into gear, has become very short.

    Initially this prolly too a good eight minutes or so; now I think it takes about two. This of course
    has led to a significant increase in measured performance.

    I've also realised why the "slope" functionality of a trainer is necessary; there is no wind
    resistance (which is exponential in relation to speed), only rolling resistance (which is linear in
    relation to speed), and so I was using a very high gear.

    Adding a point of slope enabled me to reduce the gear to something sensible.

    On a related note, I cycle wearing briefs and socks only, since the lack of winds means lack of
    cooling. When I first started using the trainer, I strongly noticed the heat (I was wearing my
    normal summer kit); now with maximized cooling area I am adequately cooled and am comfortable.

    Cleat adjustment continues; being on the trainer makes this much easier, since I can stop while
    remaining seated, lift my left up and rest it on the top tube and adjust the cleat. This gives a
    much higher rate of adjustment compared to actually going out and cycling, since then you have to
    stop, get off the bike, sit down, etc.

    The only drawback with trainer user is that I don't do long rides, two hours or more, and so my
    endurance isn't really tested.

    --
    Callas

    Tags:

  2. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Callas <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > On a related note, I cycle wearing briefs and socks only, since the lack of winds means lack of
    > cooling.

    <snip>

    > Cleat adjustment continues

    What puzzles me is how you manage to fix the cleats to your socks.

    > The only drawback with trainer user is that I don't do long rides, two hours or more, and so my
    > endurance isn't really tested.

    This is the problem. Because I'm travelling at the moment for what I laughingly call my job nearly
    all my non-weekend riding is on the Life Cycle in the hotel gym. (This is nowhere near as good as a
    turbo. The position is all wrong, adjustments are gross, and the saddle, intended to be kind to
    large posteriors, is excruciating. But it's better than nothing.) However, an hour of that is about
    as much as I can take at one go.

    --
    Dave...