Rehydration and salts...

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by TheNiceGuy, Aug 2, 2005.

1. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy New Member

Is there a basic drink formula that works? I am doing as lot of riding with only water at the moment, which apparently isn't that great. Where I live there are a few 'sport drink' mixes that are cheap, but I don't know what ingredients are best. Any rule of thumb?

Tags:

2. steve egner

steve egner New Member

I like E-fuel.

Their web site runs an interesting comparison between their sport drink and a number of other popular choices.

http://www.cranksports.com/

I've been riding with it for a couple of years now.

Good luck,

Steve

3. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy New Member

thx buddy, but i couldnt find any comparison charts there.

For example, 1 cheap one I got here is:
    Na+ :21 (mEq/l)
    K+ :5
    Ca2+ :1
    Mg2+ :0.5

Cl- :16
    citrate3- :10
    lactate- :1
    Now to be honest- I got no idea what all this means. Is it good or crap?

4. X20

X20 New Member

I like a product called crap and thought i'd spam everyone

5. dhk

dhk New Member

I use the Gatorade powder, and add extra salt for summer. Just 1/4 tsp in a 750 ml (25 oz) water bottle adds about 600 mg of salt to the basic Gatorade. Find the extra salt takes away the sticky-sweetness of Gatorade, and seems to help me in summer.

Or for home-made, you can just mix sugar and salt into water. The best concentration of CHO is supposed to be 6%, or 60 grams/liter of water. (That's 240 calories). Sucrose (cane sugar) is the main sugar in Gatorade. You can squeeze some lemon or lime in for flavor too.

For a less-sweet taste, try Karo Corn syrup. Believe that contains a mix of dextrose and fructose. It's 15 grams of CHO/Tablespoon, so 4 Tbsp in a liter gives you the magic 6%. That, and 1/4-1/2 tsp of salt (~1000 mg) should be about right.

6. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

Current thinking is that the perfect sports drink should contain primarily maltodextrin (glucose/dextrose polymers), some sucrose and a small amount of fructose. I believe you can go over 6% concentration and not compromise rehydration or absorption, especially if the drink contains primarily maltodextrin. As far as sodium/potassium/magnesium, etc, I defer to others. I've read too many different bits of advice to say with certainty. I suspect requirements vary with temperature and exercise intensity.

7. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

Oh great! It's Amway for water!

For more on this method of rehydration search your local law or business school library for 'Ponzi'.

8. TKOS

TKOS New Member

Try to avoid sports drinks that are carbinated and those that have High Fructose Corn Syupr or Fructose as the prime form of carb (sugar). This include Poweraid. It tends to upset the stomache most according to some studies I have read (I think Bicycle magazine did a study). Also be aware that over consumption can lead to a disintigration/ softening of your teeth. So avoid brushing your teeth within 1 hour of drinking sports drinks and avoid swishing them around your mouth. 1 water per 1 sports drink seems to be the best combination. You can't beat good old water.

9. X20

X20 New Member

Yes, research this method anyway you like. Roadie certainly doesn't know. The product is truly good. This thread is about rehydration and what better way to do that than with water containing electrolytes and other important minerals. So Roadie, do some research if your skeptical. As for Amway, I don't see any relation. Sure there is a business, but that's not what I'm discussing here. As I stated earlier, I've been involved in athletics, training, health and water for many years. I've seen and tested many different products. This one is a good one for rehydration and health, whether you agree or not. Facts are facts, and this product can easily be tested for it's claims and accuracy and having done so, it lives up to the challenge. I'm just passing on good information to those who may be looking for a good way to rehydrate. If it does'nt interest you, try something else. There are other suggestions in here and you appear to be an expert with extensive experience. Good luck with whatever you try. People do like different things. But for those that may be curious or skeptical, there's no better way to find out than researching it or testing it. So how can you really make a statement if you don't know anything about it or you've never tried it? If you're looking for something different or better, it's worth a look and you won't be disappointed.

10. X20

X20 New Member

Good point. SPAM tastes really bad, and leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Mmmmm SPAM, nice spammy water

11. dhk

dhk New Member

Yes, I use Cytomax also, and agree the maltodextrin may be easier to tolerate for some people. Doesn't seem to make much difference with me though. It's more expensive, and the OP was talking about cheap options.

One long-distance veteran I know here gets his own maltodextrin in quantities from a health food store and mixes it himself. You can also buy 50 lb bags of it from wholesalers. Believe its a form of cornstarch; nothing exotic at all.

Nothing wrong with marketing, but I think there is a lot of it going on with the expensive sports drink market.

12. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

OK. Against all better judgement I'm going to ask the obvious question. Can you point me towards the peer reviewed studies that confirm what you are saying and what is said on the website?

13. X20

X20 New Member

Actually, better judgement would lead someone to ask, but no offense taken. Prior to using this product i had a brain. The SPAM took over, and now my brain is made from SPAM. I can't produce any evidence, except for the tins of SPAM in the local supermarket.

14. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

I'm taking that as a no. I'm sorry I asked... against all better judgement. No more troll feeding for me today.

15. gelyk

gelyk New Member

Where can I buy this wonderful product? I visted the website you gave but I couldn't buy it.

All I found was what appears to be a dodgy pyramid scheme where someone like you makes money off fools.

16. sv650s

sv650s New Member

I have been using Endura for a while now and have found it great.

It is high in Magnesium (spelling) which is really good at rehydrating the muscles. I supplement this with water as well (2 biddons at a time) and feel great after training.

17. X20

X20 New Member

You seem quick to respond and make me stroke my SPAM. This shows paw SPAM. Is that what you do, make statements with no water fountain? You take it as it comes, but didn't buy my SPAM. Do you try to get people to do everything for you? I am too lazy and spammy to research for you. I see that you are just negative and disruptive to good information. I am lazy and like laxatives with my water. I tried helping you, but my responses are childish and lack intelligence so I won't waste my time. Your responses and comments will be ignored because i am a SPAMMER.

18. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

19. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

Ric you are a funny, funny man. Nice edits on X20's posts. I can hear him seething somewhere in the backblocks of America. Can you hear him from across the Atlantic?

Actually it probably isn't funny. I am childish and lack intelligence so I wouldn't be able to recognise true humour.

20. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Of course i'm very funny. :) just in a good mood, as i've just done a 3-day mini training camp with a couple of riders which was truly great fun, and provided us with some side splitting funny moments, and some good bonding.

I must get a nice glass of mineral water now, and wash out the taste of the spam :)