REI and Ordering "spare parts" for Novara bicycles to use on otherbicycles.

SMS

Guest
I was in REI today, seeing if on the off-chance they had any suitable
rear racks. I need something which allows the pannier to be further back
and/or lower than most rear racks. While I could order a Jandd
Expedition or a Tubus, I prefer to buy it locally.

I saw just the type of rack I wanted on one of the Novara bicycles, the
Transfer ("http://images.rei.com/media/863813.jpg"), however they don't
sell this type of rack in the store. I asked the salesperson if he knew
where to buy such a rack, and he said "we can order it for you as a
spare part." I was expecting that it would cost $100 or so, which is as
much as a Tubus, but actually it sells for only $25. The height is
adjustable, as well as the distance of the supports from the rack to the
seat stay braze-ons.

I'm not quite sure if this rack will work for me (heel clearance) but at
least it's returnable if it doesn't work, and there are no shipping
charges if it's shipped to the store.

I'm very impressed with REI's service.

On Fri, 11 May 2007 22:27:16 -0700, SMS wrote:

> I was in REI today, seeing if on the off-chance they had any suitable
> rear racks. I need something which allows the pannier to be further back
> and/or lower than most rear racks.

If you want to take that aspect to the extreme, have a look at the
freeRadical. www.xtracycle.com

On May 12, 10:28 am, me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2007 22:27:16 -0700, SMS wrote:
> > I was in REI today, seeing if on the off-chance they had any suitable
> > rear racks. I need something which allows the pannier to be further back
> > and/or lower than most rear racks.

> If you want to take that aspect to the extreme, have a look at the
> freeRadical.www.xtracycle.com

Do you have any experience with their stuff?

On Sat, 12 May 2007 10:58:35 -0700, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> On May 12, 10:28 am, me <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 May 2007 22:27:16 -0700, SMS wrote:
>> > I was in REI today, seeing if on the off-chance they had any suitable
>> > rear racks. I need something which allows the pannier to be further back
>> > and/or lower than most rear racks.

>> If you want to take that aspect to the extreme, have a look at the
>> freeRadical.www.xtracycle.com

> Do you have any experience with their stuff?

i have been reading up on the Xtracycle and thinking lots, the only actual
experience is talking to a couple of local owners and a short test ride.
The quality seems solid after 3 years of continuous use and the stability
unladen was the most instant impression. I would call that very important
for a commuter bike. There seemed to be no problem in tight quarters.
Disclaimer, it was a very short ride, but the 2 guys I know both raved
about them

On May 12, 5:47 pm, no <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007 10:58:35 -0700, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> >> If you want to take that aspect to the extreme, have a look at the
> >> freeRadical.www.xtracycle.com

> > Do you have any experience with their stuff?

> i have been reading up on the Xtracycle and thinking lots, the only actual
> experience is talking to a couple of local owners and a short test ride.
> The quality seems solid after 3 years of continuous use and the stability
> unladen was the most instant impression. I would call that very important
> for a commuter bike. There seemed to be no problem in tight quarters.
> Disclaimer, it was a very short ride, but the 2 guys I know both raved
> about them

Thanks for the input!

On Fri, 11 May 2007 22:27:16 -0700, SMS <[email protected]>
wrote:
>I saw just the type of rack I wanted on one of the Novara bicycles, the
>Transfer ("http://images.rei.com/media/863813.jpg"), however they don't
>sell this type of rack in the store. I asked the salesperson if he knew
>where to buy such a rack, and he said "we can order it for you as a
>spare part." I was expecting that it would cost $100 or so, which is as
>much as a Tubus, but actually it sells for only $25. The height is
>adjustable, as well as the distance of the supports from the rack to the
>seat stay braze-ons.

Check it with the panniers you want to use before you leave the store.
If it's the same one that comes on the Randonee, it won't fit any of
the Novarra panniers (the bolts that hold the rack together get in the
way). You may have to get Ortlieb panniers to fit this rack.

Pat

Email address works as is.

no <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007 10:58:35 -0700, Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>> On May 12, 10:28 am, me <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you want to take that aspect to the extreme, have a look at the
>>> freeRadical.www.xtracycle.com

>> Do you have any experience with their stuff?

> i have been reading up on the Xtracycle and thinking lots, the only actual
> experience is talking to a couple of local owners and a short test ride.

I'm very happy with mine. I know four or five other guys in my club who
have them as well. Heck, we're having a cargo bike ride in a couple
weeks.

http://www.rideyourbike.com/xtracycleride8.html

> The quality seems solid after 3 years of continuous use and the stability
> unladen was the most instant impression.

Even with six grocery bags and a 5 year old on back it's good.

> I would call that very important for a commuter bike. There seemed to be no
> problem in tight quarters. Disclaimer, it was a very short ride, but the 2
> guys I know both raved about them.

I don't use mine as a commuter, because it's setup with a much more
upright riding position than my commuter. Plus it seems a bit silly to
haul it all the way to Bellevue and back. I've done it with no problems
though. I do tend to cut down on my curb hopping when I'm on it though.

I know Zoot has one also. I don't recall anyone else on the group
talking about having one.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
BASIC, n.:

On May 14, 12:19 pm, Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:
> no <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Do you have any experience with their stuff?

> > i have been reading up on the Xtracycle and thinking lots, the only actual
> > experience is talking to a couple of local owners and a short test ride.

> I'm very happy with mine. I know four or five other guys in my club who
> have them as well. Heck, we're having a cargo bike ride in a couple
> weeks.
>
> http://www.rideyourbike.com/xtracycleride8.html

That sounds like fun!

> > The quality seems solid after 3 years of continuous use and the stability
> > unladen was the most instant impression.

> Even with six grocery bags and a 5 year old on back it's good.
>
> > I would call that very important for a commuter bike. There seemed to be no
> > problem in tight quarters. Disclaimer, it was a very short ride, but the 2
> > guys I know both raved about them.

> I don't use mine as a commuter, because it's setup with a much more
> upright riding position than my commuter. Plus it seems a bit silly to
> haul it all the way to Bellevue and back. I've done it with no problems
> though. I do tend to cut down on my curb hopping when I'm on it though.
>
> I know Zoot has one also. I don't recall anyone else on the group
> talking about having one.

Thanks for sharing your experience.