REI dividend windfall - sweet!

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
I was surprised at how much I earned last year - $525. I funneled virtually everything through my REI Visa last year. Of course, I don't need anything at the moment. I might do this: http://m.rei.com/product/855728/garmin-edge-810-gps-bundle-bike-computer

Read up on the 810...er...issues before pulling the trigger.

Evidently, Garmin used Windows ME for an operating system...shutdowns, lost data mid-ride, reboots needed, software glitches...

At least when I finally get ****** off enough and toss this Cateye Stealth 50 GPS computer in the garbage can I'll only be out $115. Plus $50 for the heart rate strap that needed 're-synched' twice so far this Spring after being completely replaced because the first strap failed last Fall.

The computer head was also replaced by Cateye after the first one failed. Great customer service for a poorly thought out product that also has glitchy software.

I really want to embrace GPS, but the accuracy of the various websites' interpolation of the ride file data is insane. Last night I did VERY flat sprints, wind-ups and jumps in the drizzle. One website, Cateye Atlas, said I did about 25' of climbing...about correct. The next website, Map My Ride, said I climbed almost 70'...OK, almost a 3X difference. STRAVA's Lie-O-Meter confidently said I went up 196'. I didn't bother to see what Training Peak's upload said...

I'll wait for the next generation of GPS computers, software and satellites (you know...ones that might even be able to find a 777 with a couple hundred people on board [yeah, I'm aware most planes fly without GPS!]) before making the leap again.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
I really want to embrace GPS, but the accuracy of the various websites' interpolation of the ride file data is insane. Last night I did VERY flat sprints, wind-ups and jumps in the drizzle. One website, Cateye Atlas, said I did about 25' of climbing...about correct. The next website, Map My Ride, said I climbed almost 70'...OK, almost a 3X difference. STRAVA's Lie-O-Meter confidently said I went up 196'. I didn't bother to see what Training Peak's upload said...
Do you use Strava with a phone app or are you uploading the .tcx file from the Garmin or other GPS device to the website after?

Because if you use the mobile phone app I noticed this:

When the phone is in the pocket, it's kinda more accurate, ofcourse there is the occasional 10km/h to 60km/h in 1 second everytime it loses the signal, usually in the city, but it's more or less ok. Havent checked the altimeter accuracy.

But:

Once I tried fixing the phone on the bike to record a video of the ride whilst I was recording with Strava at the same time and...:

1. Bikes go over water.
2. When bikes go over water they go in a straight line with laser - like accuracy.
3. Bikes can accelerate from 0 to 90km/h in just 2 or 3 seconds (Bugatti is trying to keep that a secret)
big-smile.png

4. Going on a straight line is an illusion. What's really happening is making hexagrams over fields and rivers going back to the road eventually.
5. You think that you did a 20km distance, but when adding the dash with a road bike over a field at 60km/h you did, it's really something like 50km.
6. Going with 90km/h with a road bike is not just doable, it's also doable over non paved surfaces. Water too.

etc.

The Cateye Stealth 50 unit uploads rides files to STRAVA, Cateye Atlas and Training Peaks thru the Cateye Sych software. I export a .gpx fix (can also export in 3 other file formats) to my hard drive, then upload that file to Map My Ride or any of the other GPS websites.

Just the other afternoon I, apparently, sprinted with my legs turning 187 RPM. Yeah...I will autograph your cycling cap...

The Cateye Stealth 50 unit uploads rides files to STRAVA, Cateye Atlas and Training Peaks thru the Cateye Sych software. I export a .gpx fix (can also export in 3 other file formats) to my hard drive, then upload that file to Map My Ride or any of the other GPS websites.

Maybe having the GPS unit in the pocket whilst recording will create more accurate data.

Just the other afternoon I, apparently, sprinted with my legs turning 187 RPM. Yeah...I will autograph your cycling cap...

I will start a cult...
big-smile.png
I will paint the Allez gold, grow a creepy beard, put on some eye-liner and prove the performed miracles in powerpoint presentations of the recorded data.

"Behold thee and tell the others, as this 770 euro Allez (840 with the Shimano 105 pedals and the Dura Ace front brake pads) is the vessel of the power of the allmighty "Spoke-tron". He who created all the climbs and descents. He whos brake pads not only never fade, but also never wheel rub. This google maps route is living proof that there are no limits once we embrace him. In order to embrace him thou must pay money in order to print this data, in fancy A4 paper, not the cheap stuff they use in the "watchtower" and show them to the world, outside off every non-believing bike shop and cycling club.

Only then we will be rewarded with descending climbs, true dust proof lube and eternal tailwind. Only then crashes will no more come in three's, but in single accidents with a minimum interval of one year, max, really.

Give brethren. Give money to Suzy here who is passing out the collecting rack-pannier and who I totally dont know from school and going straight to rent a yacht together after and get wasted on posh beer.

Give generously and fast, because I hear some police sirens and I need to get the f@ck outa here...
big-smile.png
"

Originally Posted by Volnix
6. Going with 90km/h with a road bike is not just doable, it's also doable over non paved surfaces. Water too.
I bet it works by the same principle that lets us skip rocks on water.

Originally Posted by urge2kill

I bet it works by the same principle that lets us skip rocks on water.

Maybe they will invent the time travel machine because of it one day...
big-smile.png

Very accurate.
big-smile.png
But that only happened with the phone fixed on the bike...

Originally Posted by Volnix
Maybe they will invent the time travel machine because of it one day...
big-smile.png
We could already build a one-way time machine thanks to special relativity!

0.jpg

favourite episode!

Hmmmm?

I didn't know Ohio and Greece had the same satellite transmitting our GPS signals...you know, now that I think about it "STRAVA" does sound Greek.

I think I can show my numbers to Davey Brailsford and be on Team Sky by Tour time. The only issue will be if I can get Froome to support me instead of that guy with the weird Burnsides.

I think I can show my numbers to Davey Brailsford and be on Team Sky by Tour time. The only issue will be if I can get Froome to support me instead of that guy with the weird Burnsides.

If you wanna be a "Pro"... You have to be a "B@tch"... Say "Pro"... Say "B@tch"...
big-smile.png

0.jpg
0.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2468 .

Now for the important part. We all want to know the average?

That was a Specialized Allez. Not an Audi.

Neither Specialized or Audi would care for these numbers for that road...
big-smile.png

Quote by Volnix:
"That was a Specialized Allez. Not an Audi."

Good thing!

If it were an Audi Allez, Spesh would have their lawyers sharking up a huge lawsuit in Roubaix! WE patented "Allez"!!!

Good thing!

If it were an Audi Allez, Spesh would have their lawyers sharking up a huge lawsuit in Roubaix! WE patented "Allez"!!!

If it was an "Audi Allez", it would be at the bottom of some sea between Asia and Australia, (definitely not China, for sure now, Ok?
big-smile.png
) with a container of computer drives with legal files about it by now...
big-smile.png

0.jpg