REI Novara bikes any good?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Rockstar, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. Rockstar

    Rockstar Guest

    I was in REI today looking at bikes to buy. The $400 dollar Novara seemed
    like a good deal. I must say the REI salesperson was very helpful.

    Any other ideas.

    I probally will only be riding 4 or 5 times a month on the fire roads above
    JPL.

    I was thinking it would be cool to do a loop from JPL up to Wilson then
    down the toll road back to JPL.

    Anyone else do that ride? How long does it take?

    Rockstar

    Tags:

  2. "Rockstar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I was in REI today looking at bikes to buy. The $400 dollar Novara seemed
    > like a good deal. I must say the REI salesperson was very helpful.
    >
    > Any other ideas.
    >
    > I probally will only be riding 4 or 5 times a month on the fire roads
    > above
    > JPL.
    >
    > I was thinking it would be cool to do a loop from JPL up to Wilson then
    > down the toll road back to JPL.
    >
    > Anyone else do that ride? How long does it take?
    >
    > Rockstar

    Can't comment on the bike, don't know anything about Novara. If you stay on
    the fireroads it should be OK. The singletracks on Mt. Wilson can be tuff
    and would most likely destroy a $400 bike.

    Mt. Wilson Toll Road is washed out and impassable. Mt. Lowe Fireroad is
    steep until Cape of Good Hope and should be rideable to Markham Saddle (Mt
    Wilson Road).

    Someone else will have to tell you how long to the top because I bail out
    Mt. Lowe and take Sam Merrill, Echo, Sunset singletracks back down.

  3. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Rockstar wrote:
    > I was in REI today looking at bikes to buy. The $400 dollar Novara seemed
    > like a good deal. I must say the REI salesperson was very helpful.
    >
    > Any other ideas.
    >
    > I probally will only be riding 4 or 5 times a month on the fire roads above
    > JPL.
    >
    > I was thinking it would be cool to do a loop from JPL up to Wilson then
    > down the toll road back to JPL.
    >
    > Anyone else do that ride? How long does it take?
    >
    > Rockstar

    Good enough for an asshat like you. Why don't you get a Wallyworld
    special to put on the back of that H2 of yours? Being the "fit" guy you
    are, why not get a singlespeed. We know how much you want to impress
    your 19 year old girlfriend.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  4. Gwood

    Gwood Guest

    er, what and where is JPL and Wilson?
    This is an international forum, after all.

    "Rockstar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I was in REI today looking at bikes to buy. The $400 dollar Novara seemed
    > like a good deal. I must say the REI salesperson was very helpful.
    >
    > Any other ideas.
    >
    > I probally will only be riding 4 or 5 times a month on the fire roads

    above
    > JPL.
    >
    > I was thinking it would be cool to do a loop from JPL up to Wilson then
    > down the toll road back to JPL.
    >
    > Anyone else do that ride? How long does it take?
    >
    > Rockstar

  5. "Gwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > er, what and where is JPL and Wilson?
    > This is an international forum, after all.
    >
    > "Rockstar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I was in REI today looking at bikes to buy. The $400 dollar Novara seemed
    >> like a good deal. I must say the REI salesperson was very helpful.
    >>
    >> Any other ideas.
    >>
    >> I probally will only be riding 4 or 5 times a month on the fire roads

    > above
    >> JPL.
    >>
    >> I was thinking it would be cool to do a loop from JPL up to Wilson then
    >> down the toll road back to JPL.
    >>
    >> Anyone else do that ride? How long does it take?
    >>
    >> Rockstar

    (JPL) Jet Propulsion Lab and Mt. Wilson Pasadena, CA.

  6. Slack

    Slack Guest

  7. "Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:52:55 -0800, Gwood <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> er, what and where is JPL and Wilson?
    >> This is an international forum, after all.
    >>

    > Basically, Los Angeles.
    >
    > http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm
    > http://www.mtwilson.edu/
    >
    > And http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ which at the base of Mt Wilson. There's a
    > network of trials that go from the top to the bottom of the mtn.
    > --
    > Slack

    Slack you are wrong! The trails go from the bottom to the top.

  8. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:52:55 -0800, Gwood <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> er, what and where is JPL and Wilson?
    > >> This is an international forum, after all.
    > >>

    > > Basically, Los Angeles.
    > >
    > > http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm
    > > http://www.mtwilson.edu/
    > >
    > > And http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ which at the base of Mt Wilson. There's a
    > > network of trials that go from the top to the bottom of the mtn.
    > > --
    > > Slack

    > Slack you are wrong! The trails go from the bottom to the top.

    LMMFAO! Heheheh, yeah, you been busted again Dew Boy Slack! ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  9. Slack

    Slack Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:03:17 -0800, Shaun aRe
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > Basically, Los Angeles.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm
    >> > http://www.mtwilson.edu/
    >> >
    >> > And http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ which at the base of Mt Wilson. There's a
    >> > network of trials that go from the top to the bottom of the mtn.
    >> > --
    >> > Slack

    >> Slack you are wrong! The trails go from the bottom to the top.

    > LMMFAO! Heheheh, yeah, you been busted again Dew Boy Slack! ',;~}~
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    Ya know, it's funny, right after I sent that response I knew someone would
    pick up on the DH slant :)

    You can take the DH rig away from the rider, but ya can't take the DH out
    of the rider!!!
    --
    Slack - going down... mentally

  10. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > Basically, Los Angeles.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm
    >> > http://www.mtwilson.edu/
    >> >
    >> > And http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ which at the base of Mt Wilson. There's a
    >> > network of trials that go from the top to the bottom of the mtn.
    >> > --
    >> > Slack

    >> Slack you are wrong! The trails go from the bottom to the top.

    > LMMFAO! Heheheh, yeah, you been busted again Dew Boy Slack! ',;~}~
    >

    > Shaun aRe
    >

    > Ya know, it's funny, right after I sent that response I knew someone would
    > pick up on the DH slant :)

    Heheheheh. ',;~}~

    > You can take the DH rig away from the rider,

    Well maybe most of it...

    > but ya can't take the DH out
    > of the rider!!!

    ....Or the embedded pieces of the DH rig, for that mater ',;~}~

    > Slack - going down... mentally

    Didn't think there was room left for you to do that...

    Shaun aRe

  11. G Wood

    G Wood Guest

    Ah. Guess it should have been obvious from the Rockstar sig...