REI Safari or Surly Long haul Trucker?

On Apr 2, 7:27 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> 'a real road bike' ?

The machine of a dream. Such a clean machine.
Different tires. Different wheels. Different gearing.
I love Randonee but it is not exactly the speed demon.
But I weight too much now for skinny tires and skinny
rims - I posted a thread before asking for max load
and then decided that perhaps Randonee is a good
intermediate step. O/w I would have probably bought
2003 Lemons Alpe d'Huez that LBS had.

my bike cost $50. I got it caws the shop knew I 'd take care of it.
You prob don't know how to so it's better ruining a Radonee before
tackling a finely tuned sports machione like a LeMond. The Rad will
give better service while learning.

On Apr 2, 9:40 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> my bike cost $50. I got it caws the shop knew I 'd take care of it.
> You prob don't know how to so it's better ruining a Radonee before
> tackling a finely tuned sports machione like a LeMond. The Rad will
> give better service while learning.

Oh no doubt. I never thought about that aspect but you are right.

i wuz speaking with a shop mechanic about chain lube when he offered
an opinion on it.
He said 7/8 of 10 bikes sold new were component trashed during the
first year by owners neglect, supidity, general lack of knowledge,
ignorance. I don't know but assume the wear factor goes up as price
when weight goes down.

not that components aren't replaceable but what effectively happens is
efficiency decreases gear by gear, lateral force potential, ...

countering efficiency loss toward improving or maintaining efficiency
is the idea.