Reigning US National champ ever win a stage in one of the three major Tours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woogoogle

Just wondering, first thing I noticed about Giro finish is the guy with the Norwegian flag pasted
over his chest raising both his thumbs up across the finish line.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>
> LA was US national champ in 1993 and won a stage of the TDF that
year, but
> I'm not sure which win actually occured first:

Nationals was first -- the Philly race is in June while the Tour is in July.

JT

--
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

"John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> >
> > LA was US national champ in 1993 and won a stage of the TDF that
> year, but
> > I'm not sure which win actually occured first:
>
> Nationals was first -- the Philly race is in June while the Tour is in July.
>
> JT
Thanks to all for your input.

[email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote:

>Just wondering, first thing I noticed about Giro finish is the guy with the Norwegian flag pasted
>over his chest raising both his thumbs up across the finish line.

I remember an american guy, whose name was something like Kiefer, winning a Giro stage with the
stars and stripes shirt on, somewhere in the '80s, when Seven Eleven - Honved used to be there
almost every year.

Davide Tosi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote:

>>Just wondering, first thing I noticed about Giro finish is the guy with the Norwegian flag pasted
>>over his chest raising both his thumbs up across the finish line.

> I remember an american guy, whose name was something like Kiefer, winning a Giro stage with the
> stars and stripes shirt on, somewhere in the '80s, when Seven Eleven - Honved used to be there
> almost every year.

Ron Kiefel was the first US stage winner in the Giro in 1985:
http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/giro/giro_winners.html#1985

Stage 15 to Perugia. At the time he was not the US road champion. That was Eric Heiden.
http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/classics/corestates.html

Kiefel was US champion in 1988, but the 1985 stage was his one and only Giro stage win.

Bob "Yes, I know its not CoreStates anymore" Schwartz [email protected]

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (WooGoogle) wrote:
>
> >Just wondering, first thing I noticed about Giro finish is the guy with the Norwegian flag pasted
> >over his chest raising both his thumbs up across the finish line.
>
> I remember an american guy, whose name was something like Kiefer, winning
a
> Giro stage with the stars and stripes shirt on, somewhere in the '80s,
when
> Seven Eleven - Honved used to be there almost every year.

Ron Keifel (or is it Kiefel?). I'm not enough of a fan of cycling to tell you when (or even if) he
won a stage in the Giro or a national championship, but I do remember that he rode for 7-11.

Andy Coggan

> I remember an american guy, whose name was something like Kiefer, winning
a
> Giro stage with the stars and stripes shirt on, somewhere in the '80s,
when
> Seven Eleven - Honved used to be there almost every year.

Ron Keifel won a Giro stage in 1985

Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Ron Kiefel was the first US stage winner in the Giro in 1985:
> http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/giro/giro_winners.html#1985
>
> Stage 15 to Perugia. At the time he was not the US road champion. That was Eric Heiden.
> http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/classics/corestates.html
>
> Kiefel was US champion in 1988, but the 1985 stage was his one and only Giro stage win.
>
> Bob "Yes, I know its not CoreStates anymore" Schwartz [email protected]

Andy Hampsten also won a stage that year when he was 'on loan' from Levis-Raleigh.

Kiefels win was impressive, getting away from both Moser and Kneitmann (sp).

Speaking of Eric Heiden, he won the InterGiro. That might have been the first year for that
competition.....

Bikerecker wrote:
> Kiefel was an amazing rider. I got to see him on form at the '86 Coors Classsic, when he won the
> North Boulder Circuit race, riding away from guys like Sarroni, Anderson and Hinault who were in
> CO getting ready for the World's in CO SPrings. Seemed like a mellow, nice guy. Guess he is still
> in the Boulder area? Anybody see him out riding? Does he still own part of the Morgul Bismarck
> shop? Greg Miller

I was there that day in North Boulder Park too. It was a great ride. I also watched him win a stage
another year over by the CU campus in similar fashion. The Morgul Bismarck shop closed years ago and
I believe that Ron is involved with Wheatridge Cyclery down near Denver which is an old family
business. Argentin not Sarroni, no? You should have seen him sprint up the Wall.

Bret

In article <[email protected]>, Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bikerecker wrote:
> > Kiefel was an amazing rider. I got to see him on form at the '86 Coors Classsic, when he won the
> > North Boulder Circuit race, riding away from guys like Sarroni, Anderson and Hinault who were in
> > CO getting ready for the World's in CO SPrings. Seemed like a mellow, nice guy. Guess he is
> > still in the Boulder area? Anybody see him out riding? Does he still own part of the Morgul
> > Bismarck shop? Greg Miller
>
> I was there that day in North Boulder Park too. It was a great ride. I also watched him win a
> stage another year over by the CU campus in similar fashion. The Morgul Bismarck shop closed years
> ago and I believe that Ron is involved with Wheatridge Cyclery down near Denver which is an old
> family business. Argentin not Sarroni, no? You should have seen him sprint up the Wall.

Saronni was there. I have a picture of the peloton chasing a break with Hampsten, Knickman Bauer(?)
and some others finishing the climb in the Napa to Sacramento stage. They were spread across the
road and somebody with water yells to Hinault and gives him the water. Hinault smiles at being
singled out, takes the water and then passes it around. The best field ever assembled in the USA.

-WG

warren wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>Bikerecker wrote:
>>
>>>Kiefel was an amazing rider. I got to see him on form at the '86 Coors Classsic, when he won the
>>>North Boulder Circuit race, riding away from guys like Sarroni, Anderson and Hinault who were in
>>>CO getting ready for the World's in CO SPrings. Seemed like a mellow, nice guy. Guess he is still
>>>in the Boulder area? Anybody see him out riding? Does he still own part of the Morgul Bismarck
>>>shop? Greg Miller
>>
>>I was there that day in North Boulder Park too. It was a great ride. I also watched him win a
>>stage another year over by the CU campus in similar fashion. The Morgul Bismarck shop closed years
>>ago and I believe that Ron is involved with Wheatridge Cyclery down near Denver which is an old
>>family business. Argentin not Sarroni, no? You should have seen him sprint up the Wall.
>
>
> Saronni was there. I have a picture of the peloton chasing a break with Hampsten, Knickman
> Bauer(?) and some others finishing the climb in the Napa to Sacramento stage. They were spread
> across the road and somebody with water yells to Hinault and gives him the water. Hinault smiles
> at being singled out, takes the water and then passes it around. The best field ever assembled in
> the USA.
>
> -WG

I was riding from Boulder to Estes Park with some friends that year to watch the Coors stage there
(a hilly circuit race in EP). The La Vie Claire motorhome passed us on the climb to Pinewood Springs
and pulled over half way up so that the team could ride the rest of the way as a warmup for the
race. It was just us on the same road as Hinault, Lemond, Bauer, Winterberg, Reutaman, etc. That was
the day that Hinault and Lemond had their little spat during the race, a carry over from the '86 TDF
craziness. Guido crashed that day and rode the rest of the tour with a nasty black eye.

Bret

Bikerecker wrote:
>
> Kiefel was an amazing rider. I got to see him on form at the '86 Coors Classsic, when he won the
> North Boulder Circuit race, riding away from guys like Sarroni, Anderson and Hinault who were in
> CO getting ready for the World's in CO SPrings. Seemed like a mellow, nice guy. Guess he is still
> in the Boulder area? Anybody see him out riding? Does he still own part of the Morgul Bismarck
> shop? Greg Miller

Not to brag, but I got to bump elbows/wheels/shoulders with Ron a couple of years ago as part of
the Carpenter/Phinney 'camp' in Colorado. INCREDIBLY nice guy. We didn't talk for long, but he was
very patient with me and my stupid questions. I kinda knew who he was, but I didn't realize WHAT
he was until after I got back and did some research...this thread has taught me even more about
him. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.