Reinforcing a Weak Stomach

Otiman

Nov 29, 2003
I've recently taken up mountain bike riding, checking out the local singletracks and firetrails. I've got quite a weak stomach and 50% of the time i find myself vomiting at about the 10km mark. After that i'm fine. If i make it past 10km without feeling anything i'm fine for the rest of the ride. The first time it was due to dairy consumption (or so i thought), and since then i cut out dairy altogether on the day of the ride, but it hasnt had much of an effect. Are there any precautions, supplements, or dietary regimes i should take up? I'm not a big person, and i'm definately not in need of losing weight. Diet is probably a big thing for me as i dont eat at regular intervals, just "when i feel hungry".

Originally posted by Otiman
I've recently taken up mountain bike riding, checking out the local singletracks and firetrails. I've got quite a weak stomach and 50% of the time i find myself vomiting at about the 10km mark. After that i'm fine. If i make it past 10km without feeling anything i'm fine for the rest of the ride. The first time it was due to dairy consumption (or so i thought), and since then i cut out dairy altogether on the day of the ride, but it hasnt had much of an effect. Are there any precautions, supplements, or dietary regimes i should take up? I'm not a big person, and i'm definately not in need of losing weight. Diet is probably a big thing for me as i dont eat at regular intervals, just "when i feel hungry".
#1 work on your diet some - that will help out in all sorts of areas. The simplest diet I know is all things in moderation - and fast food doesn't count (well once a week is okay)

Dairy - if you have problems with that normally - I would say no dairy from lunch on (the day before) & the day of the ride.

I know if I am over hydrated or drink to much water too quick while riding I will start feeling sick to my stomach - so you may want to watch out for that. I simply slow down for a few minutes to let it pass & mentally smack myself for being stupid.

Supplements, etc... I can't really help you with that, as I try to avoid them minus a good multi vitamin & extra Vitamin C.

Keep a log with your diet, water consumption, and effert level and see if anything stands out - like no milk for 24 hours I was fine.

If it continues see a doctor. Good luck