Reinstalling rear wheel without realigning brakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Marky Marc, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Marky Marc

    Marky Marc Guest

    Is it just me. But every time I pull of my rear wheel, the brake pads are out of alignment. I have
    Krysirum wheels, mavic hubs and quick release. I just had the cassette changed on my new bike. When
    the mechanic did it, he did not have to align the brakes at all (I brought the whole bike in). The
    second time I changed cassettes, i just brought the rear wheel in. Now when I put the wheel back,
    the brake pads are way over the right.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Marky Marc wrote:
    > Is it just me. But every time I pull of my rear wheel, the brake pads are out of alignment. I have
    > Krysirum wheels, mavic hubs and quick release. I just had the cassette changed on my new bike.
    > When the mechanic did it, he did not have to align the brakes at all (I brought the whole bike
    > in). The second time I changed cassettes, i just brought the rear wheel in. Now when I put the
    > wheel back, the brake pads are way over the right.
    >
    > Mike

    You sure your getting the axle seated in the drop outs? Many people tilt the bike to the side as
    they tighten the QR this will 'cock' the wheel. keep the bike vertical and press straight down on
    the seat ( if you have vertical drop) when you close the QR. For horizontal dropouts pull straight
    back. i usualy place my head against the seat, but sitting down and pushing on the BB/cranks with
    your feet works weel too. Hitting the brakes as you remove/replace the wheel can move them as well.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Marky Marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Is it just me. But every time I pull of my rear wheel, the brake pads are out of alignment. I have
    > Krysirum wheels, mavic hubs and quick release. I just had the cassette changed on my new bike.
    > When the mechanic did it, he did not have to align the brakes at all (I brought the whole bike
    > in). The second time I changed cassettes, i just brought the rear wheel in. Now when I put the
    > wheel back, the brake pads are way over the right.

    As I teach in my brake class, get in the habit of slipping your fingers on either side of the
    tire/rim before moving a brake. Most "brake centering" problems are in fact wheels not centered in
    the bicycle.

  4. Marky Marc

    Marky Marc Guest

    James,

    Initially I dismissed your suggestion because I do check to make sure the tires are in the dropouts
    properly. But the next morning I gave your "press down on the seat" idea a try and that did it!! The
    tire aligned perfectly.

    Thanks for the help!!

    Marc