Reinventing the Bike Shed

John Hearns

Guest
Went to the preview of the Reinventing the Bike Shed exhibition last night.
It is in the railway arches under London Bridge Station.

Access is via the On Your Bike shop, which has been expanded since I was
last in there.
Also access via a side door in Weston Street. Last night you could bring
your bike right in and use one of the bike stands - so I guess this will
continue during the exhibition.

Well worth a visit if you are in the area, or passing through London
Bridge station.
The exhibition consists of a display of various types of bike stands, so
you can have a look at them. Lots of posters about attitudes to bike
parking, about various projects around the world, for example the bike
park at Amsterdam main train station. Sorry - that doesn't make it sound
good. Most people on this list would find it well worth a visit.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I called in after seeing the flock of sheep at St. Pauls (and avoiding
the flocks at Trooping the Colour).

They were very apologetic about all the beer bottles you left around
the place last night - but I thought propped up around the sloping roof
herb garden on the bike shelter, they gave a homely lived-in look.

You didn't plug the seminar on bike security taking place there
tomorrow - and I hadn't heard of www.bikeoff.org before - but must give
it a look.

I was staggered at the cost of some of the facilities - was it
£675,000 for 125 secure places at the new Finsbury ?Park place. But I
liked some of the school ones (and the school I work at seems to have
got useful pennies to spend from the School Travel Plan exercise).

I also liked the "lift-it-up-the wall-and leave-it hanging-there"
design and possibly the Kevlar carpet - but thought most of the other
concepts were not too practical. (Please tell me how the fifty storey
Manchester Tower would work ?)

Certainly worth the visit - and a lot of the artwork by the St.
Martin's crew was excellent.

It seems to be only on for this week - and yes, plenty of bike parking
inside !

Tim

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:37:02 -0700, timhenderson wrote:

> I was staggered at the cost of some of the facilities - was it £675,000
> for 125 secure places at the new Finsbury ?Park place. But I liked some of

Its a lot of money. But as I said to someone last night, look at what a
two bedroom flat costs in London.
Three flats or one bike park? Think of it like that, and the cost isn't
that ridiculous.