Reinventing the wheel (on topic!)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Brooke, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    Tags:

  2. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:25:56 +0000, Simon Brooke wrote:

    > <URL:http://www.primidi.com/2004/04/05.html>

    "So far, no one has found a road-and wheel combination in which the road
    has the same shape as the wheel. That's an intriguing challenge for
    mathematicians."

    Circular/circular does it. As seen when a cyclist rides a Wall-of-Death.
    Yes I _do_ mean cyclist, and a very strong lad he was!

    Mike

  3. Mike Causer wrote:
    >On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:25:56 +0000, Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> <URL:http://www.primidi.com/2004/04/05.html>

    > "So far, no one has found a road-and wheel combination in which the road
    > has the same shape as the wheel. That's an intriguing challenge for
    > mathematicians."
    >
    >Circular/circular does it. As seen when a cyclist rides a Wall-of-Death.

    As seen more frequently when a cyclist rides a straight road on the surface
    of a globe.

  4. Alan Braggins wrote:
    > Mike Causer wrote:
    >> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:25:56 +0000, Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >>> <URL:http://www.primidi.com/2004/04/05.html>

    >> "So far, no one has found a road-and wheel combination in which the
    >> road has the same shape as the wheel. That's an intriguing
    >> challenge for mathematicians."
    >>
    >> Circular/circular does it. As seen when a cyclist rides a
    >> Wall-of-Death.

    > As seen more frequently when a cyclist rides a straight road on the
    > surface of a globe.

    Well, circular up to a point. The line on the globe being more circular, of
    course.

    --
    Ambrose