Rejected!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by BT Humble, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

    It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
    up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
    that goes "ping!"

    Looks like Theo's blood donation record is safe from me... for
    now! ;-)

    BTH

    Tags:

  2. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]m...
    > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)
    >
    > It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
    > up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
    > that goes "ping!"
    >
    > Looks like Theo's blood donation record is safe from me... for
    > now! ;-)
    >

    > BTH

    44? The average is around 70-80; so yeah, get a check up.

  3. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    BT Humble wrote:
    > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

    BT. I've got plenty of friends that train extremely hard and have
    resting HR's in the low 40's. Mine's just on 50. So if you've been doing
    secret training then I wouldn't be surprised! Nonetheless, never hurts
    to get that sort of thing checked out.

    Bean

  4. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    Bean Long wrote:
    > BT Humble wrote:
    > > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    > > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    > > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

    > BT. I've got plenty of friends that train extremely hard and have
    > resting HR's in the low 40's. Mine's just on 50. So if you've been doing
    > secret training then I wouldn't be surprised! Nonetheless, never hurts
    > to get that sort of thing checked out.
    >
    > Bean

    Nope, no secret training, and I've only done 6,000km this year. I
    *do* have a family history of low blood pressure though.

    I'm booked in with the GP for this Friday afternoon.

    BTH

  5. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2008-06-25, BT Humble (aka Bruce)
    > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

    Pfft.

    You need to get fitter!

    After my last trip in the ambulance, the ER nurse was concerned that
    my HR was 30. Less concerned once they heard my usual resting HR was
    40 -- only mild shock.

    --
    TimC
    "Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the

  6. Donga

    Donga Guest

    On Jun 25, 2:03 pm, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bean Long wrote:
    > > BT Humble wrote:
    > > > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    > > > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    > > > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

    > > BT. I've got plenty of friends that train extremely hard and have
    > > resting HR's in the low 40's. Mine's just on 50. So if you've been doing
    > > secret training then I wouldn't be surprised! Nonetheless, never hurts
    > > to get that sort of thing checked out.

    > > Bean

    > Nope, no secret training, and I've only done 6,000km this year. I
    > *do* have a family history of low blood pressure though.
    >
    > I'm booked in with the GP for this Friday afternoon.
    >
    > BTH

    Oh, that really hurts. I didn't mind the bit where they get you to run
    up to Max HR, but then you have to hold your breath for 20 sec. Shit,
    I'd rather drown!

  7. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2008-06-25, BT Humble (aka Bruce)
    >
    > > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    > > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    > > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

    > Pfft.
    >
    > You need to get fitter!

    I agree - I'm carrying around about 5kg of extra fat at the
    moment. ;-)

    BTH

  8. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]m...
    >> > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    >> > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    >> > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

    But how was your blood pressure? That might have been a bigger concern for
    them.

  9. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The average also corresponds to the average fat slob. Of course the
    > average is going to be dragged up by them.

    No. I think you'll find the main source of imerical data on such things are
    astronauts - they were put through all sorts of tests and their heart
    rate/bp was monitored constantly - during training and missions. Especially
    the case for the first intake; it was almost torture.

  10. theo

    theo Guest

    On Jun 25, 11:14 am, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
    > The blood bank turned me away today.  Apparently they're not
    > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)
    >
    > It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
    > up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
    > that goes "ping!"
    >
    > Looks like Theo's blood donation record is safe from me... for
    > now! ;-)

    They buggered up my last two visits by needle failures, losing about
    200 ml each time so I'm halfway through a three month compulsory break
    now. Stuck on 447 donations.

    My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
    when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
    fatter.

    Cheers Mate.

    Theo

  11. terryc

    terryc Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:03:41 -0700, BT Humble wrote:

    > Nope, no secret training, and I've only done 6,000km this year. I
    > *do* have a family history of low blood pressure though.
    >
    > I'm booked in with the GP for this Friday afternoon.

    Sounds like it will pay you to research the details of the "family
    history". I've lost track of the number of times that I've basically said
    bugger off to medical people who want me to go through the whole heart
    test/stress test regime again to satisfy their curiosity. Yep, we've got
    a family heart "funny" {:).

  12. Halcyon

    Halcyon Guest

    theo wrote:
    > Stuck on 447 donations.
    >
    > My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
    > when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
    > fatter.
    >
    > Cheers Mate.
    >
    > Theo

    Hats off to you Theo...that's an enviable record! We talking plasma
    donations here I take it? Or are you around 127 years old?
    My RHR dropped from 80 to high 50's when I got serious about the
    cycling. Different strokes for different folks.

    Halcyon

  13. On Jun 25, 1:14 pm, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
    > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)
    >
    > It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
    > up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
    > that goes "ping!"
    >
    > Looks like Theo's blood donation record is safe from me... for
    > now! ;-)
    >
    > BTH

    By all means get it checked out (since they insist!) but I wouldn't be
    overly concerned if I were you. My pulse was checked today and it was
    42 - and that was after I had been rushing around all morning. My
    resting heart rate would obviously be lower. Your rate probably just
    means that you are fit - 6000km is a damned sight more exercise than
    the average Joe would clock up.

    Unfortunately I am not allowed to give blood anyway, as I lived in the
    UK at the height of the BSE scare and they don't want my blood.

  14. obakesan

    obakesan Guest

    HiYa

    In article
    <[email protected]m>, theo
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
    >when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
    >fatter.

    ok ... I now fell better about mine being <= 80 ... what was it when you were
    a fit strapping lad Theo? That seemed to have been sensored at this end of the
    nntp feed?

    See Ya
    (when bandwidth gets better ;-)

    Chris Eastwood
    Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
    blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

    please remove undies for reply

  15. On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:14:27 -0700 (PDT), BT Humble
    <[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

    >The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
    >comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
    >to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

    I think it confuses them. I was in Sydney Eye hospital a few years
    back with a detached retina and ready for an op when someone turned up
    with an ECG machine and plugged it into me. After observing the trace
    for a while the operator asked me, "Are you very fit?" (yes really) so
    I told them I cycled to work every day upon which they ripped all
    their leads off me and said rude things to the ward staff which boiled
    down to, "Why the f*&K didn't you ask him first?" They had been
    concerned about my low resting pulse rate.

    It should be pointed out that apart from one young lad I was the
    youngest patient in the Eye hospital at the time and I was the wrong
    side of 50 so perhaps their fitness levels tended toward the deceased
    end of the continuum.

    Regards
    Dinsy

    Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

  16. obakesan

    obakesan Guest

    Pat

    In article <[email protected]>, Patrick Turner
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >obakesan wrote:
    >>

    >> please remove undies for reply

    >I'm extremely fussy about who I remove my undies for.
    >I don't like causing heart failure amoung the sheilas :-0

    well, it was the posts grundies, not yours ;-)

    >Seriously, plenty of talk about heart rates at
    >http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/archive/index.php/t-3813.html

    sure ... but I was wonderin about Theo's

    >Plenty more if you study with Google.

    I'm not quite typical though, with a starting handicap of a bicuspid aorta
    from birth which got replaced ... yadda yadda yadda ....

    so while I take my training seriously (like my quality of life depends on it)
    I'm not in the 'elite athlete' league (by a long strech).

    >Beginning to do long distances regularly at an early age also make a
    >young heart grow a lot bigger than if someone soft pedals all through their

    I understand ... mine was sorta pressing lungs back for size at the age of 10

    [muchos info deleted]

    >It should be 220 minus your age, so at 40 I should have been able to
    >measure HR max = 180.
    >But I never measured 180, no matter how hard i seemed to try to go, sore
    >legs, aching knees

    I'm sorta the opposite, I hit 180 well before my muscles ache

    >But I often saw HR 140 at age 40, and apparently I get up to about 130
    >now, at 61.

    >The crucial health infomation is in the way your heart slows down after
    >reaching a maximum.

    indeed ... despite the leaks it still returns fast, so I'm happy with that!

    >I struggled through 80km this arvo where the temp max was 13C,
    >and the wind blew hard all the way home.
    >But the river at Point Hutt looked fine.

    and stuff like that makes it all worth while don't it

    thanks for the info!

    :)

    See Ya
    (when bandwidth gets better ;-)

    Chris Eastwood
    Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
    blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

    please remove undies for reply

  17. terryc

    terryc Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:23:54 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

    > It should be 220 minus your age,

    Nope, the current fashion is the lower, the better, especially if you have
    other conditions.

    Beware of quacks offering BP lower drugs. Not so recently, one urned out
    to actually increase the overall risk, aka kill people.

  18. theo

    theo Guest

    On Jun 25, 6:27 pm, Halcyon <[email protected]> wrote:
    > theo wrote:
    > >  Stuck on 447 donations.

    > > My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
    > > when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
    > > fatter.

    > Hats off to you Theo...that's an enviable record! We talking plasma
    > donations here I take it? Or are you around 127 years old?
    > My RHR dropped from 80 to high 50's when I got serious about the
    > cycling. Different strokes for different folks.

    Plasma or platelets. My first 50 donations were whole blood.I've been
    donating since I was 21 and this is why I know what my resting heart
    rate is. I never take any notice of my heart rate at any other time.
    And no, I'm not 127, but my dad is 94 now and his dad got to 96, so I
    think I've got a while yet.

    Theo

  19. BT Humble

    BT Humble Guest

    BT Humble wrote:
    > It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
    > up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
    > that goes "ping!"

    Can I just say how disappointed I am with you people - I was expecting
    somebody to pick up and run with that Monty Python quote much sooner!

    BTH

  20. John Pitts

    John Pitts Guest

    On 2008-06-26, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
    > BT Humble wrote:
    >> It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
    >> up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
    >> that goes "ping!"

    > Can I just say how disappointed I am with you people - I was expecting
    > somebody to pick up and run with that Monty Python quote much sooner!

    Well, we certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

    --
    John
    It's not rocket surgery.