Rejected!

BT Humble

Guest
The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
that goes "ping!"

Looks like Theo's blood donation record is safe from me... for
now! ;-)

BTH

"BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
> comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
> to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)
>
> It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
> up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
> that goes "ping!"
>
> Looks like Theo's blood donation record is safe from me... for
> now! ;-)
>

> BTH

44? The average is around 70-80; so yeah, get a check up.

BT Humble wrote:
> The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
> comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
> to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

BT. I've got plenty of friends that train extremely hard and have
resting HR's in the low 40's. Mine's just on 50. So if you've been doing
secret training then I wouldn't be surprised! Nonetheless, never hurts
to get that sort of thing checked out.

Bean

Bean Long wrote:
> BT Humble wrote:
> > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
> > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
> > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

> BT. I've got plenty of friends that train extremely hard and have
> resting HR's in the low 40's. Mine's just on 50. So if you've been doing
> secret training then I wouldn't be surprised! Nonetheless, never hurts
> to get that sort of thing checked out.
>
> Bean

Nope, no secret training, and I've only done 6,000km this year. I
*do* have a family history of low blood pressure though.

I'm booked in with the GP for this Friday afternoon.

BTH

On 2008-06-25, BT Humble (aka Bruce)
> The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
> comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
> to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

Pfft.

You need to get fitter!

After my last trip in the ambulance, the ER nurse was concerned that
my HR was 30. Less concerned once they heard my usual resting HR was
40 -- only mild shock.

--
TimC
"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the

On Jun 25, 2:03 pm, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bean Long wrote:
> > BT Humble wrote:
> > > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
> > > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
> > > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

> > BT. I've got plenty of friends that train extremely hard and have
> > resting HR's in the low 40's. Mine's just on 50. So if you've been doing
> > secret training then I wouldn't be surprised! Nonetheless, never hurts
> > to get that sort of thing checked out.

> > Bean

> Nope, no secret training, and I've only done 6,000km this year. I
> *do* have a family history of low blood pressure though.
>
> I'm booked in with the GP for this Friday afternoon.
>
> BTH

Oh, that really hurts. I didn't mind the bit where they get you to run
up to Max HR, but then you have to hold your breath for 20 sec. ****,
I'd rather drown!

TimC wrote:
> On 2008-06-25, BT Humble (aka Bruce)
>
> > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
> > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
> > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

> Pfft.
>
> You need to get fitter!

I agree - I'm carrying around about 5kg of extra fat at the
moment. ;-)

>> > The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
>> > comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
>> > to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

But how was your blood pressure? That might have been a bigger concern for
them.

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The average also corresponds to the average fat slob. Of course the
> average is going to be dragged up by them.

No. I think you'll find the main source of imerical data on such things are
astronauts - they were put through all sorts of tests and their heart
rate/bp was monitored constantly - during training and missions. Especially
the case for the first intake; it was almost torture.

On Jun 25, 11:14 am, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> The blood bank turned me away today.  Apparently they're not
> comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
> to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)
>
> It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
> up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
> that goes "ping!"
>
> Looks like Theo's blood donation record is safe from me... for
> now! ;-)

They buggered up my last two visits by needle failures, losing about
200 ml each time so I'm halfway through a three month compulsory break
now. Stuck on 447 donations.

My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
fatter.

Cheers Mate.

Theo

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:03:41 -0700, BT Humble wrote:

> Nope, no secret training, and I've only done 6,000km this year. I
> *do* have a family history of low blood pressure though.
>
> I'm booked in with the GP for this Friday afternoon.

Sounds like it will pay you to research the details of the "family
history". I've lost track of the number of times that I've basically said
bugger off to medical people who want me to go through the whole heart
test/stress test regime again to satisfy their curiosity. Yep, we've got
a family heart "funny" {:).

theo wrote:
> Stuck on 447 donations.
>
> My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
> when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
> fatter.
>
> Cheers Mate.
>
> Theo

Hats off to you Theo...that's an enviable record! We talking plasma
donations here I take it? Or are you around 127 years old?
My RHR dropped from 80 to high 50's when I got serious about the
cycling. Different strokes for different folks.

Halcyon

On Jun 25, 1:14 pm, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
> comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
> to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)
>
> It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
> up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
> that goes "ping!"
>
> Looks like Theo's blood donation record is safe from me... for
> now! ;-)
>
> BTH

By all means get it checked out (since they insist!) but I wouldn't be
overly concerned if I were you. My pulse was checked today and it was
42 - and that was after I had been rushing around all morning. My
resting heart rate would obviously be lower. Your rate probably just
means that you are fit - 6000km is a damned sight more exercise than
the average Joe would clock up.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to give blood anyway, as I lived in the
UK at the height of the BSE scare and they don't want my blood.

HiYa

In article
<b0373ca3-8584-41ab-8fbe-e2229be1cdf8@x19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, theo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
>when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
>fatter.

ok ... I now fell better about mine being <= 80 ... what was it when you were
a fit strapping lad Theo? That seemed to have been sensored at this end of the
nntp feed?

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

please remove undies for reply

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:14:27 -0700 (PDT), BT Humble
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>The blood bank turned me away today. Apparently they're not
>comfortable with my resting pulse rate being 44bpm, and they want me
>to get checked out by my GP, and they've recommended and ECG(!)

I think it confuses them. I was in Sydney Eye hospital a few years
back with a detached retina and ready for an op when someone turned up
with an ECG machine and plugged it into me. After observing the trace
for a while the operator asked me, "Are you very fit?" (yes really) so
I told them I cycled to work every day upon which they ripped all
their leads off me and said rude things to the ward staff which boiled
down to, "Why the f*&K didn't you ask him first?" They had been
concerned about my low resting pulse rate.

It should be pointed out that apart from one young lad I was the
youngest patient in the Eye hospital at the time and I was the wrong
side of 50 so perhaps their fitness levels tended toward the deceased
end of the continuum.

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

Pat

In article <[email protected]>, Patrick Turner
<[email protected]> wrote:

>obakesan wrote:
>>

>> please remove undies for reply

>I'm extremely fussy about who I remove my undies for.
>I don't like causing heart failure amoung the sheilas :-0

well, it was the posts grundies, not yours ;-)

>Seriously, plenty of talk about heart rates at
>http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/archive/index.php/t-3813.html

sure ... but I was wonderin about Theo's

>Plenty more if you study with Google.

I'm not quite typical though, with a starting handicap of a bicuspid aorta
from birth which got replaced ... yadda yadda yadda ....

so while I take my training seriously (like my quality of life depends on it)
I'm not in the 'elite athlete' league (by a long strech).

>Beginning to do long distances regularly at an early age also make a
>young heart grow a lot bigger than if someone soft pedals all through their

I understand ... mine was sorta pressing lungs back for size at the age of 10

[muchos info deleted]

>It should be 220 minus your age, so at 40 I should have been able to
>measure HR max = 180.
>But I never measured 180, no matter how hard i seemed to try to go, sore
>legs, aching knees

I'm sorta the opposite, I hit 180 well before my muscles ache

>But I often saw HR 140 at age 40, and apparently I get up to about 130
>now, at 61.

>The crucial health infomation is in the way your heart slows down after
>reaching a maximum.

indeed ... despite the leaks it still returns fast, so I'm happy with that!

>I struggled through 80km this arvo where the temp max was 13C,
>and the wind blew hard all the way home.
>But the river at Point Hutt looked fine.

and stuff like that makes it all worth while don't it

thanks for the info!

:)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:23:54 +0000, Patrick Turner wrote:

> It should be 220 minus your age,

Nope, the current fashion is the lower, the better, especially if you have
other conditions.

Beware of quacks offering BP lower drugs. Not so recently, one urned out
to actually increase the overall risk, aka kill people.

On Jun 25, 6:27 pm, Halcyon <[email protected]> wrote:
> theo wrote:
> >  Stuck on 447 donations.

> > My resting heart rate is around 80, Was when I was a teenager, was
> > when I was doing 10,000 km/yr, is now when I'm older, greyer and
> > fatter.

> Hats off to you Theo...that's an enviable record! We talking plasma
> donations here I take it? Or are you around 127 years old?
> My RHR dropped from 80 to high 50's when I got serious about the
> cycling. Different strokes for different folks.

Plasma or platelets. My first 50 donations were whole blood.I've been
donating since I was 21 and this is why I know what my resting heart
rate is. I never take any notice of my heart rate at any other time.
And no, I'm not 127, but my dad is 94 now and his dad got to 96, so I
think I've got a while yet.

Theo

BT Humble wrote:
> It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
> up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
> that goes "ping!"

Can I just say how disappointed I am with you people - I was expecting
somebody to pick up and run with that Monty Python quote much sooner!

BTH

On 2008-06-26, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> BT Humble wrote:
>> It's probably not such a bad idea, and as a bonus I'd get to be hooked
>> up to a machine that costs over three-quarters of a million pounds
>> that goes "ping!"

> Can I just say how disappointed I am with you people - I was expecting
> somebody to pick up and run with that Monty Python quote much sooner!

Well, we certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

--
John
It's not rocket surgery.