Relacing drive side spokes- best method?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Daniel, May 17, 2003.

  1. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    Ok, thanks to people's responses to my question about bent drive side spokes, I am going to replace
    all the spokes on that side.

    Any recommendations on the best method of swapping out the spokes?

    My muddled thoughts lead me to doing the following:

    - relax tension on drive side spokes (slowly- work around the wheel a few times to undo the nipples,
    not undo one completely, then another, etc.)

    - relace drive side spokes

    - work around the wheel on the drive side spokes only to pull the wheel back to true with
    proper dishing

    - only after all of this will I touch the left side spokes for final truing and tensioning

    (the wheel is very true now)

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ok, thanks to people's responses to my question about bent drive side spokes, I am going to
    > replace all the spokes on that side.
    >
    > Any recommendations on the best method of swapping out the spokes?
    >
    > My muddled thoughts lead me to doing the following:
    >
    > - relax tension on drive side spokes (slowly- work around the wheel a few times to undo the
    > nipples, not undo one completely, then another, etc.)
    >
    > - relace drive side spokes
    >
    > - work around the wheel on the drive side spokes only to pull the wheel back to true with proper
    > dishing
    >
    > - only after all of this will I touch the left side spokes for final truing and tensioning
    >
    > (the wheel is very true now)

    Well, I wouldn't do it that way personally. I'd just do them one at a time. Undo one, remove,
    replace, tighten it back up. Just my opinion.

    Cheers,

    Scott..