relatively amusing craig's list ad

Claire wrote:
> Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html

Sounds like somebody was outriding their abilities... ouch. It does
have a brake, but skidstops are cooler I guess.

I can't wait for the fixed gear fad to end -- I hate looking like I'm
just following the crowd!

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.

In article <571ae6fe-cacb-4b23-b892-4e0145a617aa@p25g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Claire <[email protected]> writes:
> Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html

At one point I thought /my/ bike was cursed.

Until it and me got head-on'd by a car.

Maybe just the parts I had to replace were cursed.

But I'll tell ya what -- that frame is as solid as
a brick sh!740u23, and that's the truth.

There's somewhat to be said for the hi-tens end
of the chro-moly spectrum.

Black spokes would look good with my rhinestone-eyed
black skull valve caps. I need more skull/death's-head
themed stuff for my bike.

The Craigslist seller should just get himself a bike
that he could ride and enjoy. Well, I guess he should
just enjoy whatever his reasonable volition suggests.

Anyways, nothing is ~cursed~. We just tend to put our
own baggage on stuff. You know that; why am I telling you?

If those black spokes were octagonal ...

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Claire wrote:
>> Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html

> Please explain to me again the attraction of fixed gears.

I don't know, or more to the point, I don't know the attraction in
somewhere like SF. Boston is pretty flat, especially tooling along the
Charles, so gears are pretty optional. In icy weather, a fixer with
studded tires is about as practical as you can get.

I think much of the original appeal of fixers was that they're really
cheap to build, especially if you go with the suicide package --
locktite and no brakes. It gave you something to do with bike boom era
jetsam cluttering up your garage, the beater/errand bike you could
cobble together in a couple of hours and not ever worry about being
boosted when you left it unlocked in front of a store. Ride hard, put
away dirty. To me, the current rash of high zoot, fresh from the factory
fixers are rolling oxymorons. But that's just me.

Anyway, I like mine with 2 brakes (I've never done a skid stop in my
life -- a waste of nice tires). I also like fenders, as beaters, by
definition, are ridden in ****. Rear wheel is cheap & sturdy with a real
track hub (low end, but still a splurge), front wheel is whatever is
spare at the moment. Rather than skinny, chopped down, hipster bars I
use wide butterfly (think stairmaster) bars because they work best for
standing climbs (something you do all the time on a fixer, even in Boston).

I don't know why I like it, I've ridden it for several years now, and it
always seems to be the first bike I reach for when I'm not going out for
an all day ride. That said, I have a friend who is a long distance rider
(brevets/BMB, etc.) who rides fixed exclusively. I can almost understand
that.

Fixers are not compatible with shoelaces or short attention spans. I
have had the occasional fixed moment, but never anything close to a
crash. I prefer a fixer for urban, weave through the gridlock, riding,
but my favorite times are like last night, riding along no-hands with a
tailwind on a flat road -- dead quiet and feeling closest to just
floating along with no bike at all -- bugs-in-the-teeth pleasant.

On Apr 19, 6:14 am, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <571ae6fe-cacb-4b23-b892-4e0145a61...@p25g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
> Anyways, nothing is ~cursed~. We just tend to put our
> own baggage on stuff. You know that; why am I telling you?

OF COURSE the bike is cursed! Besides, didn't you read what's written
on the hub?

It says "SURLY". That pretty much sums up the bike's temperament
right there.

Sojourner

> But I'll tell ya what -- that frame is as solid as
> a brick sh!740u23, and that's the truth.

=v= Might-ay Might-ay / Just lettin' it all hang out.
<_Jym_>

Peter Cole wrote:
> but my favorite times are like last night, riding along no-hands with a
> tailwind on a flat road -- dead quiet and feeling closest to just
> floating along with no bike at all -- bugs-in-the-teeth pleasant.

I too grab my fixed gear for anything not too hilly or not too long (10
+ 50 miles has been my longest single day on it thus far).

There's no matching the feeling of efficiency. The feeling of momentum
that you get when the bike is pulling your legs through the dead spots
in your stroke is amazing. It's my favorite bike for riding in the
city, it's the best for taking on the train/bus as there are no
extraneous parts to worry about bashing, nothing to interfere with
putting it on a rack, it's light as air (lighter than my AL road bike).
Removing the wheels to throw it in a trunk is as simple as it gets.

Sure... a lot of those benefits would apply to a single speed road bike,
but not the momentum, which is what's magic about them.

As I wrote on my website,
http://twowheels.us/bicycles/peugeot_fixie.html, I first rode one about
six years ago and I was hooked... fixation might be a better word. :)
I couldn't stop thinking about getting a fixed gear for years, until I
finally got one. I wasn't disappointed! It met and exceeded my
expectations much more than my recumbent experience did!! (Hi Tom!)

I just can't wait for the fad to end... I hate to look like I'm one
following the crowd. The kids that came over to chat with a fellow
fixie rider in the park yesterday were nice, though I cringe to think of
them riding brakeless in skater shoes on platform pedals.

-Rex

--

Rex Kerr wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>> but my favorite times are like last night, riding along no-hands with
>> a tailwind on a flat road -- dead quiet and feeling closest to just
>> floating along with no bike at all -- bugs-in-the-teeth pleasant.

> I too grab my fixed gear for anything not too hilly or not too long (10
> + 50 miles has been my longest single day on it thus far).
>
> There's no matching the feeling of efficiency. The feeling of momentum
> that you get when the bike is pulling your legs through the dead spots
> in your stroke is amazing. It's my favorite bike for riding in the
> city, it's the best for taking on the train/bus as there are no
> extraneous parts to worry about bashing, nothing to interfere with
> putting it on a rack, it's light as air (lighter than my AL road bike).
> Removing the wheels to throw it in a trunk is as simple as it gets.
>
> Sure... a lot of those benefits would apply to a single speed road bike,
> but not the momentum, which is what's magic about them.
>
> As I wrote on my website,
> http://twowheels.us/bicycles/peugeot_fixie.html, I first rode one about
> six years ago and I was hooked... fixation might be a better word. :)
> I couldn't stop thinking about getting a fixed gear for years, until I
> finally got one. I wasn't disappointed! It met and exceeded my
> expectations much more than my recumbent experience did!! (Hi Tom!)

Sorry to hear about your handicap. ;)

> I just can't wait for the fad to end... I hate to look like I'm one
> following the crowd. The kids that came over to chat with a fellow
> fixie rider in the park yesterday were nice, though I cringe to think of
> them riding brakeless in skater shoes on platform pedals.

The thought of trying to clip in and out of rotating pedals [1] is
enough to make me not want to even try a fixie.

[1] I have tried doing so as a tandem stoker and it did not go well.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Rex Kerr wrote:
>> It met and
>> exceeded my expectations much more than my recumbent experience did!!
>> (Hi Tom!)
>>

> Sorry to hear about your handicap. ;)

Handicap? And besides, it's not the first time that you've heard that I
didn't fall in love with my recumbent!

> The thought of trying to clip in and out of rotating pedals [1] is
> enough to make me not want to even try a fixie.

Interesting... which pedal system do you use? (M324s???) I use
Speedplay Frogs and I can clip in or out with the pedals moving with
absolutely no problem. I could see SPD being more difficult since you
have to hit the target a bit more accurately.

--

Rex Kerr wrote:

> though I cringe to think of them riding brakeless [fixed gear] in
> skater shoes on platform pedals.

That's one way to prevent being bucked off when you forget to pedal.
Losing the pedals is way better than getting body-slammed by your
odious *****y bike. Consult the referenced Craigslist posting for
corroboration.

My one and only fixed-gear bike (a Surly 1x1) sported both Time ATACs
and barefoot flat pedals during the time I had it, and I liked the
flats much better in that context. I did have two good strong brakes,
though.

Everything I liked about my fixie, I like about my coaster-braked
bike-- silence, simplicity, light weight, efficiency, clean
appearance, intuitive operation. Everything I hated and feared about
my fixie isn't even a factor on my "coastie".

In light of the alternatives, I think a fixed-gear bike is comparable
to a quill pen, straight razor, or kerosene lantern. It's
entertaining for a little while, it imposes perils that tend to keep
you on your toes, but mostly it instills gratitude and appreciation at
the simple technological innovations that have made life better since
the 19th century.

Chalo

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:59:48 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:
\
>> I just can't wait for the fad to end... I hate to look like I'm one
>> following the crowd. The kids that came over to chat with a fellow
>> fixie rider in the park yesterday were nice, though I cringe to think of
>> them riding brakeless in skater shoes on platform pedals.
>>

>The thought of trying to clip in and out of rotating pedals [1] is
>enough to make me not want to even try a fixie.
>
>[1] I have tried doing so as a tandem stoker and it did not go well.

You have a limited arc of pedal rotation in which to grasp, adjust
and release a toe straps before hitting your chin on a handle bar or
a behind. Double straps must be twice the fun.

My fixed wheel bike has Eggbeaters because I like riding it without
bothering with toe straps. Toe straps, especially doubles, are
popular again since "NJS" is a buzz among the hipster fixer crowd

I don't do free style hipster fixer trix so I don't need flat pedals
on my fixed wheel bike with two rim brakes and fenders.

If I wanted to skid, I'd ride a coaster brake.
--
zk

Rex Kerr wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Rex Kerr wrote:
>>> It met and exceeded my expectations much more than my recumbent
>>> experience did!! (Hi Tom!)
>>>

>> Sorry to hear about your handicap. ;)

> Handicap? And besides, it's not the first time that you've heard that I
> didn't fall in love with my recumbent!

The is obviously something wrong with anyone who does not prefer the
recumbent bicycle to all other forms!!!

>> The thought of trying to clip in and out of rotating pedals [1] is
>> enough to make me not want to even try a fixie.

> Interesting... which pedal system do you use? (M324s???) I use
> Speedplay Frogs and I can clip in or out with the pedals moving with
> absolutely no problem. I could see SPD being more difficult since you
> have to hit the target a bit more accurately.

Heck, just getting my feet on rotating platform pedals is not something
I would want to do on a regular basis.

Chalo wrote:
> Rex Kerr wrote:
>> though I cringe to think of them riding brakeless [fixed gear] in
>> skater shoes on platform pedals.

> That's one way to prevent being bucked off when you forget to pedal.
> Losing the pedals is way better than getting body-slammed by your
> odious *****y bike. Consult the referenced Craigslist posting for
> corroboration.

The CL guy went down once because his worn out SPD let go while skip
braking, I don't think that was really a FG crash, more of a clipless
crash (of which I've seen several). Skip braking is dumb, anyway.

His second crash was after drinking & tried to coast. I think maybe his
reflexes were affected. Anyway, tricks are for kids, they heal faster.

> Everything I liked about my fixie, I like about my coaster-braked
> bike-- silence, simplicity, light weight, efficiency, clean
> appearance, intuitive operation. Everything I hated and feared about
> my fixie isn't even a factor on my "coastie".
>
> In light of the alternatives, I think a fixed-gear bike is comparable
> to a quill pen, straight razor, or kerosene lantern. It's
> entertaining for a little while, it imposes perils that tend to keep
> you on your toes, but mostly it instills gratitude and appreciation at
> the simple technological innovations that have made life better since
> the 19th century.

I've got a freewheel on one side of my fixed wheel. I flip it to ride
off road. It's not the same feeling at all. I used to ride 10-speed
junkers without derailers, just shortening the chain to fit a middle
sprocket on a freewheel, so I thought I knew what a fixer would feel
like (so I didn't bother with one for many years). My first few rides on
a fixer were not too fun, I was thinking about it way too much, but,
like clipless, once my reflexes got trained I could just go with the
flow. It seems much like switching between manual & automatic shifting
on a car. I don't know how, but my mind switches without conscious
effort even if years have passed without touching a stick.

What you say about technical progress could apply to stick shift, too.
Most people seem to find it an unqualified PITA. For light, low powered
cars (the kind I like to drive), I prefer a stick. A fixer feels much
the same.

Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Interesting... which pedal system do you use? (M324s???) I use
>> Speedplay Frogs and I can clip in or out with the pedals moving with
>> absolutely no problem. I could see SPD being more difficult since you
>> have to hit the target a bit more accurately.
>>

> Heck, just getting my feet on rotating platform pedals is not something
> I would want to do on a regular basis.

Regular basis? How often, exactly, do you expect fixie riders to have
to do that? I only do it intentionally (to pedal with one foot for a
while, for example)... When starting/stopping it's just like any other
bike, I clip in mid stroke. Do you stop pedaling after you start moving
to clip in? That said, I still can't get the hang of clips & straps and
really don't want to anyhow considering how many close calls I've had
with those, even on a regular bike!!

--

Peter Cole wrote:
> Chalo wrote:

> His second crash was after drinking & tried to coast. I think maybe his
> reflexes were affected. Anyway, tricks are for kids, they heal faster.

I sometimes try to coast, but the sensation of getting pulled down hits
you so fast that you quickly right that mistake. It happens quite
rarely now that I've ridden more than a few thousand miles on the fixed.
In fact, after a few days of riding the fixed, if I switch back I get
the same mental "oh #!?!*" moment the first time I start to coast, then
I quickly remember that it's OK... :)

> I've got a freewheel on one side of my fixed wheel. I flip it to ride
> off road. It's not the same feeling at all.

Exactly... He said that everything that he liked about a fixed he could
get from a freewheel, and I disagree. The momentum through the pedal
stroke that I described just doesn't exist. I never used my freewheel
when I had a flip-flip hub, now I don't even have one at all.

> What you say about technical progress could apply to stick shift, too.
> Most people seem to find it an unqualified PITA. For light, low powered
> cars (the kind I like to drive), I prefer a stick. A fixer feels much
> the same.

Yup... I prefer manual transmissions as well... oh, and fountain pens
too. (to address the previous poster)

--

Rex Kerr wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>>> Interesting... which pedal system do you use? (M324s???) I use
>>> Speedplay Frogs and I can clip in or out with the pedals moving with
>>> absolutely no problem. I could see SPD being more difficult since
>>> you have to hit the target a bit more accurately.
>>>

>> Heck, just getting my feet on rotating platform pedals is not
>> something I would want to do on a regular basis.

> Regular basis? How often, exactly, do you expect fixie riders to have
> to do that? I only do it intentionally (to pedal with one foot for a
> while, for example)... When starting/stopping it's just like any other
> bike, I clip in mid stroke. Do you stop pedaling after you start moving
> to clip in?

Often times I briefly pause to clip in the second foot.

I have been around too many industrial accidents, so I have an aversion
to putting any body part near any type of moving machinery.

> That said, I still can't get the hang of clips & straps and
> really don't want to anyhow considering how many close calls I've had
> with those, even on a regular bike!!

Clips and straps are obsolete, and rightfully so.

Peter Cole wrote:
> [...]
> What you say about technical progress could apply to stick shift, too.
> Most people seem to find it an unqualified PITA.

Those people should be banned from driving for life. If a person can not
drive a vehicle lacking syncromesh, he/she should not be issued a license.

> For light, low powered
> cars (the kind I like to drive), I prefer a stick. A fixer feels much
> the same.

Automatic transmissions suck out too much power, cause a huge delay in
increasing acceleration while they down shift (extremely annoying when
exiting a corner) and are otherwise a general annoyance. The 90% of US
vehicles that only offer an automatic transmission are automatically
(pun intended) off my shopping list.