Relatively new cyclist...

EvilGoodGuy

Jul 31, 2004
Hello,

I come from a duathlon background. However, I have recently been diagnosed (not 100% positive yet) with a stress fracture in my lower left tibia. Prior to the diagnosis, I had thought about changing pace a bit this year and perhaps shifting my focus to pure cycling. Last year, I averaged 300km on the bike and 50km running per week. Now without running, I will have more time to focus on cycling. How should I spend this extra time? What workouts are necessary to achieve my goals? Last year was my first year on the bike and second year running. I have not done any pure cycling events.

My goals for this year:
16km Time trial (late summer)
45min+ 2laps Criterium (late summer)
100km Metric Century (early June)

Now that I've written these three goals down, it seems that each requires something completely different. But for reference, I want to focus on the 16km Time trial, survive the criterium, and I really don't have any expectations for the century beyond having fun and finishing.

For reference: my times are 18min 5km run, and 35 - 37km/hr. for an hour on flat terrain on the bike

I like the training plans in this month's issue of 'Bicycling'. Your're right, your goals are pretty spread out so I would recommend (mind you I'm no pro or expert) spending your time at, near or above your LT, intervals. I'm quite similiar to you in respect to goals for the upcoming season. After a six week base I plan to do roughly 12 weeks of intervals to push up my LT, V02 and latic tolarance.

Thanks for the info. I will check out the training plans in the bicycling magazine. I thought base building should be 4 months? Is 6 weeks enough?

Last year I spent most of my time on endurance and below lactate threshold work. Most of the time trial level efforts were for distances around 40km (I still plan to do a few this year but without the running attached to either side). 16km seems very short. How do I train differently for 16km versus 40km? I looked at some results for the 16km time trial and the fastest went around 50km/hr. That seems insane! The slowest went around 35km/hr.

I haven't really spent any time on sprinting but I guess this will be necessary for the criterium. On one practicular ride last summer, I was able to hit 65km/hr. on flat pavement without any wind. Is this fast enough? How can I improve my sprinting ability? I have been to a few club rides to get the feel for riding in a pack. I will continue this when winter passes. From what I understand, clubs are the best place to get the drafting experience necessary for criteriums.