Releasing rear cluster from aluminium hub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Terry Collins, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Hello Folks

    does anyone have any tips on releasing a rear cluster from an aluminium hub. Unfortunately, it has
    been sitting there for 10+ years and then ridden hard over the last year.

    --
    Terry Collins {:)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au Wombat Outdoor
    Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing,

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Terry Collins" wrote

    > does anyone have any tips on releasing a rear cluster from an aluminium hub. Unfortunately, it has
    > been sitting there for 10+ years and then ridden hard over the last year.

    I assume you have a screw-on freewheel, rather than a slide-on cassette. I would take the wheel to a
    GOOD bike shop and let them do it. Should take a minute and cost virtually nothing.

    You need to have the proper removal tool to fit into the freewheel body. You insert the tool, and
    then attach the quick release skewer just tight enough that the tool won't slip out. Then place the
    wheel in a sturdy vise and turn it. An alternative is to use a hefty wrench with a "cheater" bar for
    more leverage. But if you're not carefull you can damage the freewheel body.

    The trick is to grease the hub threads BEFORE installing the freewheel.

    Good luck!

    Art Harris

  3. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Vice it use a chain wench and a 14 inch adjustable wrench. Now use lots of force.

    Fire up MTB 03

  4. On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 02:48:37 -0500, Terry Collins wrote:

    > Hello Folks
    >
    > does anyone have any tips on releasing a rear cluster from an aluminium hub. Unfortunately, it has
    > been sitting there for 10+ years and then ridden hard over the last year.

    If this is a threaded-on cluster (freewheel) rather than a cassette, here is what you do:

    Get the proper tool for the freewheel. Shimano and Sachs are splined fittings and easy to get tools
    for, Sun-Tour and older tend to have pins and require care in keeping seated.

    Remove QR, install tool, REPLACE QR so it holds the tool in place. Not too tight, since you
    could break the QR, but tight enough to keep it snug. As you loosen the freewheel, loosen the
    quick release.

    Put flats of tool in bench vice if you have one, or a big 'ol pipe wrench.

    If in a bench vice, grab rim and twist hard. It will come.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |