relevant importance of variables when choosing a new bike

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 20:44:52 +0100, "Jeremy Parker"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>cyclists

>thought

>Does Sheldon say why? I think the reason is some regulation by the
>American Consumer Products Safety Commission, worried by riders
>leaning over while going round a curve, being too stupid to stop
>pedalling, thereby hitting their pedal on the ground (I doubt if the
>CPSC has even heard of a fixie)

He reckoned on the trend by cycle manufacturers to build the bottom
bracket higher off the ground these days

http://sheldonbrown.com/standing.html

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:37:45 +0100, Marcus Red wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

>> Actually, particularly useful on the Sheldon Brown pages are the
>> mention that whilst 20years ago the design of bikes was such that
>> having the seat just high enough to get a tippytoe on the floor when
>> at a stand, the design of bikes is such that this isn't the case now,
>> and that seats should be higher. (I had wondered why some cyclists
>> seem to have seats way higher than I would have expected - I thought
>> that maybe they had exceptionally long legs!)
>>

> Eh? isn't that a bit dangerous? (My bike is over 20 years old)

No it isn't dangerous.

One of Sheldon's best pages imho is on starting and stopping:

<http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html>

--
Patrick

My bikes: Moulton AM7 and two Moulton APBs - an R18 and a "mongrel"
Pic of R18: <http://patrickjames.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/R18.jpg>

A few paragraphs about the Scottoiler chain lubrication system:
<http://patrickjames.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/scottoiler.html>

patrick j wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:37:45 +0100, Marcus Red wrote
> (in article <[email protected]>):
>
>>> Actually, particularly useful on the Sheldon Brown pages are the
>>> mention that whilst 20years ago the design of bikes was such that
>>> having the seat just high enough to get a tippytoe on the floor when
>>> at a stand, the design of bikes is such that this isn't the case now,
>>> and that seats should be higher. (I had wondered why some cyclists
>>> seem to have seats way higher than I would have expected - I thought
>>> that maybe they had exceptionally long legs!)
>>>

>> Eh? isn't that a bit dangerous? (My bike is over 20 years old)

> No it isn't dangerous.
>
> One of Sheldon's best pages imho is on starting and stopping:
>
> <http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html>

What happens if/when the brakes fail? You can't stick your feet on the
ground.

In article <%[email protected]>, [email protected]
says...
<snip info on setting saddle at correct height>

> What happens if/when the brakes fail? You can't stick your feet on the
> ground.

both brakes failing at the same time? you either don't bother
maintaining you bike properly with two working brakes, or you're so
unlucky you probably don't have much longer to live anyway.

--
Colin

Coincidence is the alibi of the Gods

(remove FOOT to reply)

in message <%[email protected]>, Marcus Red
('[email protected]') wrote:

> patrick j wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:37:45 +0100, Marcus Red wrote
>> (in article <[email protected]>):

>>> Eh? isn't that a bit dangerous? (My bike is over 20 years old)

>> No it isn't dangerous.
>>
>> One of Sheldon's best pages imho is on starting and stopping:
>>
>> <http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html>
>>

> What happens if/when the brakes fail? You can't stick your feet on the
> ground.

What happens if the brakes fail on your car? You can't stick your feet on
the ground. If you've maintained your brakes properly, it won't happen.

[ This mind intentionally left blank ]

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:19:23 +0100, Marcus Red wrote
(in article <%[email protected]>):

>>> Eh? isn't that a bit dangerous? (My bike is over 20 years old)

>> No it isn't dangerous.
>>
>> One of Sheldon's best pages imho is on starting and stopping:
>>
>> <http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html>
>>

> What happens if/when the brakes fail? You can't stick your feet on the
> ground.

With a higher saddle you can still stick your feet on the ground. You just
can't do it when your posterior is on the saddle :)

--
Patrick

My bikes: Moulton AM7 and two Moulton APBs - an R18 and a "mongrel"
Pic of R18: <http://patrickjames.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/R18.jpg>

A few paragraphs about the Scottoiler chain lubrication system:
<http://patrickjames.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/scottoiler.html>

In article <%[email protected]>
Marcus Red <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> What happens if/when the brakes fail? You can't stick your feet on the
> ground.

Sit on the frame and put your feet down.
Jam your foot against the back tyre.
Put a little more effort into maintaining your bike.
Learn how to fly.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:19:23 GMT, Marcus Red <[email protected]> wrote:

>What happens if/when the brakes fail? You can't stick your feet on the
>ground.

One of the funniest things I ever saw, which involved bringing a bike
to a quick stop, was when one of the school bullies whizzed down the
road, and aimed a kick at the seat of the pants of a boy on the edge
of the payment.

He connected satisfactorily, but the recoil, and the fact that he was
travelling at speed, meant that his foot ended up between the spokes
of his rear wheel which, once they came into contact with the rear
spokes, brought his rear wheel to a complete standstill in an instant.

Not sure I would recommend that though, as he screamed in a huge
amount of pain. hehehe.

Mark W