Reliability trials, races or what?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Just ridden the only one I have ridden apart from out local one which
    is decidedly pedestrian. The course (?) was Horsham to Hindhead and
    back.It would have helped if they had a route sheet! I entered the 4 hr
    group with about 16 others, by 5 miles we were down to 10,
    but then we got caught by a 3.5 hr group and the pace went too much for
    me;
    I caught some 3.5hr riders who had punctured and rode with one; but we
    had
    no idea where we were going , eventually reached Dunsfold where I
    remembered
    having ridden through on a 400 from Hindhead so went that way, but
    ended up
    near Guildford. Eventually reached Haslemere where there were actually
    signs to Hindhead So piled it on up the hill to the cafe; the
    controller had gone so I picked up a receipt and threw myself at the
    bike on the way back after having gone 15km too far on the way out,
    (and met the controller on the way back who had seen me grunting up the
    hill to Hindhead so stamped my card) and reached the finish at 4.02 hrs
    (which is within the time band apparently as you are allowed 10% over)
    but was pleased with my fastest ever 100k at 3.50. Next one in 2 weeks,
    can't wait (FSVO)

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > but then we got caught by a 3.5 hr group and the pace went too much for
    > me;

    Early season reliabilities are always like this.

    Our on (Clifton CC) just has everyone start at the same time and then
    the first hill does the sorting into groups :)

    Fun though

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > but then we got caught by a 3.5 hr group and the pace went too much for
    > > me;

    > Early season reliabilities are always like this.
    >
    > Our on (Clifton CC) just has everyone start at the same time and then
    > the first hill does the sorting into groups :)

    would have been fun if I had been riding in a group for more than 15
    miles. I do like the idea of RT's, like audax but with less cake, but
    they seem to be an after end of / before beginning of season thing
    only.

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    > > MartinM wrote:
    > >
    > > > but then we got caught by a 3.5 hr group and the pace went too much for
    > > > me;

    > > Early season reliabilities are always like this.
    > >
    > > Our on (Clifton CC) just has everyone start at the same time and then
    > > the first hill does the sorting into groups :)

    > would have been fun if I had been riding in a group for more than 15
    > miles. I do like the idea of RT's, like audax but with less cake, but
    > they seem to be an after end of / before beginning of season thing
    > only.

    Just looking at the map; I went 5 miles out of the way on the way back
    as well! no wonder there was no cake left at the end.

  5. Bronzie

    Bronzie Guest

    I am organising CC Luton's event this year (Sunday 5th March - HQ near
    Dunstable - see my earlier post "Chiltern Classics Reliability Rides"
    for full details).

    All riders receive route instructions AND we even go out the day before
    and signpost the entire route for the hard of understanding. Could you
    ask for more?

    Normally, we set the quicker riders off first to avoid them catching
    slower groups and blowing them to pieces like this. As we are running
    the event with British Cycling insurance cover, we are not supposed to
    have more than 20 riders in any group, so it also avoids huge groups
    forming when the faster riders catch the slower ones.

    Ta, Bronzie

  6. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Bronzie wrote:

    > I am organising CC Luton's event this year (Sunday 5th March - HQ near
    > Dunstable - see my earlier post "Chiltern Classics Reliability Rides"
    > for full details).
    >
    > All riders receive route instructions AND we even go out the day before
    > and signpost the entire route for the hard of understanding. Could you
    > ask for more?
    >
    > Normally, we set the quicker riders off first to avoid them catching
    > slower groups and blowing them to pieces like this. As we are running
    > the event with British Cycling insurance cover, we are not supposed to
    > have more than 20 riders in any group, so it also avoids huge groups
    > forming when the faster riders catch the slower ones.

    I organised one in November over Ashdown Forest, I put the fastest
    riders last but no danger of them blowing the others out as they sailed
    past on the long climb up to the Forest (that one, davek). Everyone
    finished within a few minutes of each other, a great ride. Could you
    confirm that the time bands allow 10% either way (or 5% if more than
    15mph average)?

  7. Bronzie

    Bronzie Guest

    Martin

    Haven't come across 10% allowance on time bands in the events I've
    ridden - as far as I'm aware, there are no strict rules for this area
    that I've come across.

    Unlike audaxes, reliability rides are generally organised by clubs as
    early season fitness trials as much as anything else (hence there
    aren't many in the Summer as far as I know), and 'the rules' are
    generally at the discretion of the organiser. The British Cycling
    guidelines I have are mainly concerned with prevention of large groups
    forming on the road that would be an issue for highway safety /
    inconvenience to motorists.

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > would have been fun if I had been riding in a group for more than 15
    > miles. I do like the idea of RT's, like audax but with less cake, but
    > they seem to be an after end of / before beginning of season thing
    > only.

    They are mainly run by race clubs as early season training. If you
    like the format, look at doing some sportif rides during the summer.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  9. MartinM wrote:

    > Just ridden the only one I have ridden apart from out local one which
    > is decidedly pedestrian.

    I would've joined you. If I weren't so damned unfit. I'm getting back into
    the swing of things, though. Been out with VC Deal 3 times in as many weeks
    (lordy, they're a fast club!) and even managed rides on Saturdays. Just
    sorting out my Audaxes for the season now. I won't make the MJF as I'll be
    fishing in Norway that weekend. I applied to ride a couple of perms at the
    end of last season to bump up my AAA points, but never got round to riding
    them. I should just about be ready for the hills by early-mid Feb so I'll
    hopefully ride them then.

  10. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > Just ridden the only one I have ridden apart from out local one which
    > > is decidedly pedestrian.

    > I would've joined you. If I weren't so damned unfit. I'm getting back into
    > the swing of things, though. Been out with VC Deal 3 times in as many weeks
    > (lordy, they're a fast club!)

    I had a look at their website, seem a bit competition orientated. If
    you are into Audax best to wait until middle of March, see how many are
    left not TT'ing. There seem of be an awful lot of RT's in that area.