Reliable shops for repair

plonty

Jan 19, 2005
Last night I phoned Brixton Cycles to ask if I could bring my bike in to have my brake cable replaced. I was told to bring it in between 9 and 10 and it would be done on the spot. When I arrive at 9.30 I am told it will take an hour. I am a lecturerer and have classes until 6.00 so I could not collect it until the following day. But the shop would not allow this. So I wheeled the bike back to work. Had I been told on the phone that I would have to wait an hour I would quite happily have left it until the weekend as it is I can't trust them to tell me the truth about the service they don't offer. So, does anyone know a decent repair shop within walking distance of Brixton?

plonty said:
Last night I phoned Brixton Cycles to ask if I could bring my bike in to have my brake cable replaced. I was told to bring it in between 9 and 10 and it would be done on the spot. When I arrive at 9.30 I am told it will take an hour. I am a lecturerer and have classes until 6.00 so I could not collect it until the following day. But the shop would not allow this. So I wheeled the bike back to work. Had I been told on the phone that I would have to wait an hour I would quite happily have left it until the weekend as it is I can't trust them to tell me the truth about the service they don't offer. So, does anyone know a decent repair shop within walking distance of Brixton?
Brixton near London?

MountainPro said:
Just clarifying that point.

errr.. in that case. No.
You're lucky you've still got a bike mate. Why don't you do it yourself. Please don't pester us anymore just go to Geoff Butlers in Croydon, he likes a laugh, can't change a cable. TDF next I suppose.

plonty said:
Brixton near Washington,D.C. :confused: No seriously, i work in a bike shop(over here) & we have walk-ins all of the time not to mention lunch breaks, truck unloadings, demanding/"needy" customers who want to be lead by the hand all over the store, ect... consequently throwing our mech's off schedule. I would'nt take it personally, it might have been a(n) freak/infrequent ocurrence. Never hurt's to inquire, of the mgr, what the deal is; in a polite manner mind you. There could be a valid reason for the delay.

FredC said:
You're lucky you've still got a bike mate. Why don't you do it yourself. Please don't pester us anymore just go to Geoff Butlers in Croydon, he likes a laugh, can't change a cable. TDF next I suppose.
You do have a valid point there FredC, unless he has some kind of really obscure braking mechanism. Next thing you know he'll be wanting someone to air up his tires :rolleyes: . There are certain simple things that any self respecting biker should be aware of-e.g.-swapping out a tire/ maintaining proper tyre pressure, making minute adjustments to brakes'gears, adjusting one's saddle to the proper height, ect... Quite simple things that might save your **** out on a deserted country road.

davidmc said:
You do have a valid point there FredC, unless he has some kind of really obscure braking mechanism. Next thing you know he'll be wanting someone to air up his tires :rolleyes: . There are certain simple things that any self respecting biker should be aware of-e.g.-swapping out a tire/ maintaining proper tyre pressure, making minute adjustments to brakes'gears, adjusting one's saddle to the proper height, ect... Quite simple things that might save your **** out on a deserted country road.
ever since i was a kid i was always up to my neck in bike parts and grease building and rebuilding bikes. My BMX had many frames in its brutal lifetime and all the brackets, bolts and cables were fixed by yours trully at the tender age of 12. I couldnt ride a bike if i didnt have a clue how it worked. All the kids in our area brought their bike to me if it needed a new headset fitted or the wheel trueing...my LBS certainly had a few thin years in the early 80s.

Its been a few years since i have bought a complete bike from a dealer. I buy frames and components seperately, if the frame needs replacing i treat it like any other component. I can whip all the kit of a frame and stick it on another frame in about an hour (and i dont use cellotape)....not that i am boasting you understand....but i am bloody brilliant at most things.

MountainPro said:
ever since i was a kid i was always up to my neck in bike parts and grease building and rebuilding bikes. My BMX had many frames in its brutal lifetime and all the brackets, bolts and cables were fixed by yours trully at the tender age of 12. I couldnt ride a bike if i didnt have a clue how it worked. All the kids in our area brought their bike to me if it needed a new headset fitted or the wheel trueing...my LBS certainly had a few thin years in the early 80s.

Its been a few years since i have bought a complete bike from a dealer. I buy frames and components seperately, if the frame needs replacing i treat it like any other component. I can whip all the kit of a frame and stick it on another frame in about an hour (and i dont use cellotape)....not that i am boasting you understand....but i am bloody brilliant at most things.
One time me and a group of buddies were cycle touring in the highlands. Day 3 into the event one guy (who was overloaded) shagged his bearing on an XT rear hub (typically soft Jap shite). We were about 20 miles from Fort William and we camped up for the night and went into te town in the morning to locate the local den of eniquity. We found the bike shop and presented the hub to the funny bloke with the goatie. He scratche dthe goating and preceded to tell us that the bearing were fuked. (Einstien). Well he wanted some ridicolous amount of cash for a new wheel and i said 'just geez a hub and i'll fire it back oan the bike in 5 minutes'. He said they'll rebild the wheel for more cash and it wil be ready in 3 days. Bollerks to that.

We get back to the bike and i rolled up the old sleves and got stuck in. 7 bloody hours i spend trying to rebuild this ******* with the midgies biting hell out of my ears and the rest of my retarded mates drinking all the beers and shouting insults at the idiot who volunteered to fix the bike. Not as easy as it looks but at least it got done and i saved some money (in true scottish style)

That was in 1996 and the wheel is still going strong to this day.

Aye, ye can shove yer brake cable right up your feekin hole.