Remedial cyclist seeks Tutor

Aesthetica

Jun 11, 2004
Greetings! I'm in my mid-twenties and a classicaly trained musician. I live in New Jersey across the Hudson from NYC. There's great cycling ops here, and I see cyclists everywhere. I, too, want to cycle...but a bit skiddish that I don't know what I'm doing, protocol, rules...what have you.
As a musician, when I need help I call my teacher from college, arrange a lesson, problem solved. Somehow, I can't seem to find anybody to pay to show me the ropes. Anyone know somebody, that knows somebody, that can teach me?...or where to look?
Any leads would be greatly welcomed - Kirby

I have never heard of such a thing unless you wish to pay for a trainer. Cyclist are not a secretive lot by nature. So ask questions. There is no secret handshake or anything like that. Like music you learn by doing. If you have passion for it than that will create a desire to learn more. When the student is ready the teacher will appear. Remember it is a sport of common sence so there are things to know and learn. In the end you find what is right for you. Your own style or way. Just go out and do it, meet people and enjoy it. Remember the first time you played music it made you happy. You made mistakes but you were learning and that was OK. I have never yelled at a bad cyclist, drivers yes. Keep it simple. You will find you learn things when you need to know them.

gubaguba's right. I've never met a cyclist who wouldn' share what they know. Go to your local bike shop. My guess is that you have severall to choose from. They can hook you up with groups that match your fitness level and cycling interests.

Riding with others is a great way to learn. I made many mistakes when I was starting out from clothing and hydration to chain lube. The cyclists in the local club helped me out a lot.

And they did it all because most cyclists have a love for cycling, and want to share it with others.

Good luck!

I agree with these guys. I'm fairly new (1+ yr) and I've done some groups rides. No one has ever said no, I'm not telling you. Everyone has always been very helpful and pretty much happy to share what they know. And mostly they're just happy to see another cyclist coming into the group. I've always been worried about annoying the people at my local shops but they are always really nice and helpful. Get out and ride. It's a great way to meet other cyclists.

trekryder said:
I agree with these guys. I'm fairly new (1+ yr) and I've done some groups rides. No one has ever said no, I'm not telling you. Everyone has always been very helpful and pretty much happy to share what they know. And mostly they're just happy to see another cyclist coming into the group. I've always been worried about annoying the people at my local shops but they are always really nice and helpful. Get out and ride. It's a great way to meet other cyclists.
Well, two's a witness. Just get out and ride. Have fun. Smile. Find a nice bike shop to hang and ask questions. Wouldn't suprise me if someone actually invited you to ride with them or recommended a group to join.