Remedy for colds

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
To lighten the subject a little.

I've had a very heavy cold since mid-last week.
Alternating between feeling very war/cold, dry cough, aches/soreness etc.

I've tried the paracetomal/fluid/plenty of rest/hot whiskeys remedy but I can't seem to shake this cold.

I am considering going to the doctor but it just doesn't seem right going to the doctor because I can't shake a cold.

Has anyone else got a cold? if so, what remedy have you tried?

limerickman said:
I've tried the paracetomal/fluid/plenty of rest/hot whiskeys remedy but I can't seem to shake this cold.
thats all the doctor reccommends but i am not so sure about the whiskeys..

i would go to make an appointment. tell him its kept you off your work and you have have a throat or chest infection which may require anti-biotics..

i have been lucky this year, i normally get a bad cold over christmas, i refuse to let the winter weather get me down and get out cycling...after the obligatory Christmas cold i soon resign to the fact its time to take a month out from the cold nights on the bike.

After a lot of trial and error, the method that works for me is to do the following:

Have an early dinner, a large whisky or two and then straight to bed with a warm hat. You may need to repeat this for a couple of nights. The whisky and hat ensure a good nights sleep and the rest should take care of itself. Works for me!

equus said:

After a lot of trial and error, the method that works for me is to do the following:

Have an early dinner, a large whisky or two and then straight to bed with a warm hat. You may need to repeat this for a couple of nights. The whisky and hat ensure a good nights sleep and the rest should take care of itself. Works for me!

what type of hat do you wear in bed?

MountainPro said:
thats all the doctor reccommends but i am not so sure about the whiskeys..

i would go to make an appointment. tell him its kept you off your work and you have have a throat or chest infection which may require anti-biotics..

i have been lucky this year, i normally get a bad cold over christmas, i refuse to let the winter weather get me down and get out cycling...after the obligatory Christmas cold i soon resign to the fact its time to take a month out from the cold nights on the bike.

Like you, I normally get one heavy cold and my usual remedy works.
This year, the remedy ain't working unfortunately.

I have the same cold, I think. It's a very heavy one and quite nasty. I've been ill since the beginning of New Year.
I tried riding my bike while laid-up but sadly it didn't sweat it out of me as I'd hoped.
I'm still angry with the person who gave me the bloody cold to be honest as my training has gone out the window.
I'm also taking paracetomal. It takes a full week to shake a cold off if your immune system is strong but for some people it can go on much longer.
I'm so annoyed about it I'm considering following Michael Jackson's strategy of wearing a mask. :(

limerickman said:
To lighten the subject a little.

I've had a very heavy cold since mid-last week.
Alternating between feeling very war/cold, dry cough, aches/soreness etc.

I am considering going to the doctor but it just doesn't seem right going to the doctor because I can't shake a cold.

Carrera said:
I have the same cold, I think. It's a very heavy one and quite nasty. I've been ill since the beginning of New Year.
I tried riding my bike while laid-up but sadly it didn't sweat it out of me as I'd hoped.
I'm still angry with the person who gave me the bloody cold to be honest as my training has gone out the window.
I'm also taking paracetomal. It takes a full week to shake a cold off if your immune system is strong but for some people it can go on much longer.
I'm so annoyed about it I'm considering following Michael Jackson's strategy of wearing a mask. :(

At one stage I seriously considered going on the rollers to see if I could sweat it out of me.
I didn't.

It's just a cold anyhow - only it's taking some time to clear up.

limerickman said:
what type of hat do you wear in bed?
A thick wooly one. This will ensure that the old noggin stays warm and in the morning a good blow of the nose clears all the **** away. If I have a cold and do not wear a hat I spend the first part of the morning coughing up all kinds of horrible stuff.

equus said:
A thick wooly one. This will ensure that the old noggin stays warm and in the morning a good blow of the nose clears all the **** away. If I have a cold and do not wear a hat I spend the first part of the morning coughing up all kinds of horrible stuff.

I'm all in favour of keeping your noggin warm.
That's a very Irish expression - noggin.

limerickman said:
At one stage I seriously considered going on the rollers to see if I could sweat it out of me.
I didn't.
So you're the one that gave me this!! I knew you could catch a virus on the internet, but...
Mine hit me the day before an 800 miles drive home (on New Year's Eve, no less), so I couldn't take any of the really good otc medicine. Two days in bed (with no hat) didn't help. I have spent an hour on the trainer trying to sweat it out, and I do feel better now.

Mine is one of the worst I can recall and it seems there's nothing I can do except wait. I went on a hard ride at the onset of the illness and came back soaked in sweat. I was hoping that might have nailed it but the 3rd and 4th days have been the worse so far.
It's very much on my chest and I'm coughing a lot and feel a temperature too.
I'm seriously p****d off I can't ride my bike as it was going really well.
The whole Christmas and New Year period has been bad for me and, as they say, things can only get better. :(

limerickman said:
I didn't.

It's just a cold anyhow - only it's taking some time to clear up.

Chance3290 said:
So you're the one that gave me this!! I knew you could catch a virus on the internet, but...
Mine hit me the day before an 800 miles drive home (on New Year's Eve, no less), so I couldn't take any of the really good otc medicine. Two days in bed (with no hat) didn't help. I have spent an hour on the trainer trying to sweat it out, and I do feel better now.

Good to hear that the trainer worked for you.

Carrera said:
Mine is one of the worst I can recall and it seems there's nothing I can do except wait. I went on a hard ride at the onset of the illness and came back soaked in sweat. I was hoping that might have nailed it but the 3rd and 4th days have been the worse so far.
It's very much on my chest and I'm coughing a lot and feel a temperature too.
I'm seriously p****d off I can't ride my bike as it was going really well.
The whole Christmas and New Year period has been bad for me and, as they say, things can only get better. :(

That's the difficulty, having to wait it out.
Mines improving but it's snails pace.

limerickman said:
That's the difficulty, having to wait it out.
Mines improving but it's snails pace.

I'm not sick, but when I am I like to go sit in the sauna at the health club for as long as I can handle it. That and the whisky, hot food, and lots of rest advice.

"Noggin" is an Irish word? For some reason I was thinking Dutch. There's a TV station for kids called Noggin that my daughter likes to watch. Semi-educational entertainment stuff. www.noggin.com

Jagermeister, garlic and a good angry Greek woman........ I don't know if it would solve the cold thing, but damn, those three things sound good right now.

equus said:
Actually your remedy has a scientific basis.The fever associated with colds and 'flu is the immune system's way of destroying viruses and bacteria by raising the body's temperature.Wearing a thick woolly hat will do a lot towards that end as the blood vessels of the head are closer to the surface of the skin,you can also cool off quickly by putting a damp hat on.
Coughing up all that gunk is another way of ridding the body of hostile bugs.
Get well soon,you bunch of sickos.

:
) :) :)And keep up the fluid intake

stevebaby said:
Actually your remedy has a scientific basis.The fever associated with colds and 'flu is the immune system's way of destroying viruses and bacteria by raising the body's temperature.Wearing a thick woolly hat will do a lot towards that end as the blood vessels of the head are closer to the surface of the skin,you can also cool off quickly by putting a damp hat on.
Coughing up all that gunk is another way of ridding the body of hostile bugs.
Get well soon,you bunch of sickos.

:
) :) :)And keep up the fluid intake

Steve, this is the problem with northern hemisphere winters, we all end up a sickos.

Diablo : the word noggin is slang for ones head.
Old Dublin expression "how's your noggin?" after a hard night on the beer.
Brendan Behan famous Irish writer used to use the term Noggin,

i have used the term noggin since i was a bairn,

i was unaware or its Irish origins.

My family tend to use Irish coloquail slang a lot, coming from the old country.

feck was a common one (even before Father Ted made it famous)

if someone asks you how you are...'i'm just grand'

limerickman said:
Steve, this is the problem with northern hemisphere winters, we all end up a sickos.

Diablo : the word noggin is slang for ones head.
Old Dublin expression "how's your noggin?" after a hard night on the beer.
Brendan Behan famous Irish writer used to use the term Noggin,

Today I've somhow made my ,misery even worse. I am guessing that during an aggressive sneeze, I pulled every muscle from my upper back to my neck. Now I can't even lift my beer...er...medicine without intense pain. Well, you know what they say, "Always stretch before you sneeze."
Taken out by a sneeze...It sucks to get old.

heard a joke today...but it will be lost on the jokes forum:

Martin O'neill and Alec Mcliesh die and go to heaven.

God goes to Alec and shows him a run down shack with no windows and a Union Flag sticking out its roof: Thats where you will spend eternity Alec, says God.

Alec looks round a sees a giant glorious white castle with many windows and gardens and a tri-colour and Celtic flag sticking out the top

Alec says, how he feck do i get that hovel and Martin gets the castle?

God says, Martin's house? thats not his house, thats mine!