Remedy for colds

MountainPro said:
i have used the term noggin since i was a bairn,

i was unaware or its Irish origins.

My family tend to use Irish coloquail slang a lot, coming from the old country.

feck was a common one (even before Father Ted made it famous)

if someone asks you how you are...'i'm just grand'

bairn? I haven't heard that expression in yonks (yonks = years).
Yeah, Noggin is a Dublin expression - mainly used in the Liberties (old centre of Dublin).
You hear a lot of older people use that term.

You're right about Feck as well - "ah, feck that for a game of soldiers" meaning I couldn't be arsed.

I'm grand - is another expression as you say.

I'll leave you with this one : if you're ever asked in Dublin, "do you know the Five Lamps?" Don't answer, because it's followed up by "go hang your bollix out of them".
(Five Lamps is an area on the Northside of Dublin).

MountainPro said:
heard a joke today...but it will be lost on the jokes forum:

Martin O'neill and Alec Mcliesh die and go to heaven.

God goes to Alec and shows him a run down shack with no windows and a Union Flag sticking out its roof: Thats where you will spend eternity Alec, says God.

Alec looks round a sees a giant glorious white castle with many windows and gardens and a tri-colour and Celtic flag sticking out the top

Alec says, how he feck do i get that hovel and Martin gets the castle?

God says, Martin's house? thats not his house, thats mine!

nice one !

The Football Association of Ireland are chasing O'Neill for the Ireland job at the moment.
The rumour is that if Martin's wife Geraldine is recovering from her cancer,
that he might well take the job.
But rumour also has it that Man U are chasing Martin as well.

thanks for the 5 lamps tip...

ONeill is currently still on the payroll at Celtic although he doesnt actually have a job. I dont know why this is the case but he was the best manager we have had in many years, he was well loved at Celtic.

okay,

Apparently Rangers are after a new manager, they are currently in talks with the Iceland manager....and if that falls through theyre gonna try Farmfoods next.

limerickman said:
nice one !

The Football Association of Ireland are chasing O'Neill for the Ireland job at the moment.
The rumour is that if Martin's wife Geraldine is recovering from her cancer,
that he might well take the job.
But rumour also has it that Man U are chasing Martin as well.

MountainPro said:
thanks for the 5 lamps tip...

ONeill is currently still on the payroll at Celtic although he doesnt actually have a job. I dont know why this is the case but he was the best manager we have had in many years, he was well loved at Celtic.

okay,

Apparently Rangers are after a new manager, they are currently in talks with the Iceland manager....and if that falls through theyre gonna try Farmfoods next.

Alex seems to be under pressure.

Funny, I was talking to the barber the other day and we were just saying how
at the start of the season Strachan was almost facing the sack of the Bhoys
poor start.
Some turnaround.

limerickman said:
bairn? I haven't heard that expression in yonks (yonks = years).
Yeah, Noggin is a Dublin expression - mainly used in the Liberties (old centre of Dublin).
You hear a lot of older people use that term.

You're right about Feck as well - "ah, feck that for a game of soldiers" meaning I couldn't be arsed.

I'm grand - is another expression as you say.

I'll leave you with this one : if you're ever asked in Dublin, "do you know the Five Lamps?" Don't answer, because it's followed up by "go hang your bollix out of them".
(Five Lamps is an area on the Northside of Dublin).
My daughter=ma wee peedy bairn.
12000 miles and two generations awa from greenock. :)

MountainPro said:
i have used the term noggin since i was a bairn,

i was unaware or its Irish origins.

My family tend to use Irish coloquail slang a lot, coming from the old country.

feck was a common one (even before Father Ted made it famous)

if someone asks you how you are...'i'm just grand'
Feck me,LOL just
thinking about Ted,Dermot and Father Jack! :D :D :D

stevebaby said:
Feck me,LOL just
thinking about Ted,Dermot and Father Jack! :D :D :D

Aye, Dermot was some comedian and Fr Ted was the culmination of his talent.
They guys who wrote that series were superb but I think only Dermot could carry it off.

Feck! Drink!!!!!!

Noggin is a common word all over the USA. Not used regularly but everyone's heard it and knows what it means. Usually having to do with an injury like "don't bump your noggin" or "that's using your noggin" for thinking out a problem.

The "Noggin" TV channel was an extension of that.

limerickman said:
what type of hat do you wear in bed?
You should never do it without your FEZ on..... A FEZ works wonders....:D

Have you ever heard of a Neti Pot ? Me "Granda" used to use one when he was alive, it seemed to have past my Da and I have picked it up from the grand old man. The process looks a little strange but it works wonders. The nasal washing will help a cold in progress and will prevent future colds as well. Realistically, this is a process you should use all the time, this will help sinuses in general and will help you sleep like a baby.

I don't use a Neti Pot proper, I use one of the many water bottles we get when we go to LBS, Cycling or running events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot

Best of luck with your cold.

limerickman said:
Aye, Dermot was some comedian and Fr Ted was the culmination of his talent.
They guys who wrote that series were superb but I think only Dermot could carry it off.

Feck! Drink!!!!!!
ROFLMAO!
Father Jack...my hero!
(And role model for my rapidly approaching old age.)
:D :D :D

limerickman said:
Steve, this is the problem with northern hemisphere winters, we all end up a sickos.

Diablo : the word noggin is slang for ones head.
Old Dublin expression "how's your noggin?" after a hard night on the beer.
Brendan Behan famous Irish writer used to use the term Noggin,

Talk about whinging poms, God bless em all, it's the price you lot pay for living in that God forsaken place. Little bit of a cold getting you down well well.....?

Lissen up and take heed, this will work but you have to be gen with it?
Don't get the cold in the first place, the accomplish this one must be diligent with what one does. Wash your hands before handling and putting anything in your mouth (it's imperitive to be strict with this point)

Secondly don't and I mean don't hang around anyone who has a cold especially in those dirty old places lots of you frequent (PUBLIC HOUSES) these places are a hotbed of disease in all shapes and forms.
Now to cut to the chase, at the beginning of september start taking a daily dose of cholostrom, it comes in either tablet or powder form, 500mg per dose is considered a good place to start, it should be ingested first thing in the morning. (you can get it from Holland and Barrett).
This will keep the imune system boosted and make getting over the dreaded common cold so much easier. A good diet is absolutely essential and a daily dose of vitamin C 1000mg at least per day normally, accompanied by a multi vitamin as well.
When the cold has taken hold (that rhyms) up the dose of vitamin C to at least 8000mg a day, it will get you over the dreaded lurgie a lot quicker so's yer can ride yer treadlies so much quicker.
This has worked for me for a great number of years and a lot of folk I know use the same method.
If you chose not to follow these instructions then you only have yourselves to blame for your continued suffering.
Here endeth the first lesson, now use yer noggins an stop yer bletherin.

Homemade chicken soup!!! Of course, nothing in the world can fix you up like homemade chicken soup!

Petals

limerickman said:
...what remedy have you tried?
Live in the tropics and drink plenty of beer to flush the system - works a treat.
It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht th' nicht doon here on the Equator :D

ptlwp said:
Homemade chicken soup!!! Of course, nothing in the world can fix you up like homemade chicken soup!

Petals
Hello Petals, is that chicken soup made with or without the feathers, there's a distinct difference in flavour you know, the feathers make for much more fibre in the diet too ?
The feet are delicious deep fried, with a little broccolli and stuffing...?
Cluck! Cluck! poor birds ?

limerickman said:
eh, whatever gets you through the night Eoin !
Aye, Lim, I haven't had a cold since I started wearing a top hat 24/7. I'm thinking of getting one in a tear-drop section to create less wind resistance when I'm out on the penny-farthin' - t'be sure, t'be sure :D

ellno#1 said:
Hello Petals, is that chicken soup made with or without the feathers, there's a distinct difference in flavour you know, the feathers make for much more fibre in the diet too ?
The feet are delicious deep fried, with a little broccolli and stuffing...?
Cluck! Cluck! poor birds ?
****** was a vegetarian, too..

ptlwp said:
****** was a vegetarian, too..
Me, too. Perhaps that's where I get my subconscious fascist tendancies from. I say blame it on the broccoli.

EoinC said:
Me, too. Perhaps that's where I get my subconscious fascist tendancies from. I say blame it on the broccoli.

Damn, broccoli; everyone blames the broccoli.......I'd say it was a problem disgesting glutens......like celiac sprue?