Remedy for colds

ptlwp said:
Damn, broccoli; everyone blames the broccoli.......I'd say it was a problem disgesting glutens......like celiac sprue?
There's nothing wrong with Broccoli, it's one of the best vegetables you can get, so tasty, especially if it's grown in a cold climate, same with Brussel Sprouts too, without all the chemical **** fertilizers that modern farming practices insist on using.

Broccoli Sprouts (as in the seeds sprouts) are recomended as an anti cancer agent as well, just see www.Dr.Mercola.com

I kid you not....?

What's ****** got to do with Broccoli anyway, he was just a miss guided house painter, probably the lead in the paint which addled his brain and sent him round the twist, see what happens when you play with house painting ?

I'm now over my cold and will be doing my first training run of the New Year. This has been one of the worst colds I ever had - a miserable experience.
All in all, New Year has been bad with family upsets and illness. Added to that I worked all the way through dosed on flu-remedies and coughing till I wretched. :(

ptlwp said:
****** was a vegetarian, too..

Not completely true. He avoided meat but was not a true vegetarian as he did eat some meat.
This is of course what I have read.

EoinC, As far as a cold remedies,you left out have sex as much as possible.
How will this help ,you ask? I say..... it can't hurt!

jhuskey said:
...EoinC, As far as a cold remedies,you left out have sex as much as possible.
How will this help ,you ask? I say..... it can't hurt!
I don't have a cold, JH (tropical sunshine...), but I am prepared to be a guinea pig and test its preventative qualities. The sacrifices I am prepared to make simply astound me. More fun with hamsters next week...

EoinC said:
I don't have a cold, JH (tropical sunshine...), but I am prepared to be a guinea pig and test its preventative qualities. The sacrifices I am prepared to make simply astound me. More fun with hamsters next week...

A man of principles ,no doubt,and probably willing to get a cold to prove those principles.

jhuskey said:
A man of principles ,no doubt,and probably willing to get a cold to prove those principles.
Every scientific experiment requires controls in place to empiricalise the data.
Course of action:
Guinea Pig (X) [that's me] does not have a cold - Guinea Pig (X) is to have lots and lots of sex over a long period of time to help determine if there is a relationship between having lots and lots of sex and preventing the onset of having a cold.
As this alone would not determine that the prevention was solely related to the grotesque quantities of sex that Guinea Pig (X) [that's still me] battled his way through, Guinea Pig (Y) [that's JH] will act as a control. Guinea Pig (Y) will have no sex over the same period of time to see whether not having sex can increase the risk of getting a cold.
If Guinea Pig (X) [yep, that's me] does get a cold whilst under the frequent sex programme, the experiment will move on to determine whether the cold symptoms can be repressed, or eliminated, by increasing the dosage of the preventative measures. This will be ramped up over a short period of time to the limits of human endurance [helluva hand, that Guinea Pig (X)].
In essence, whilst we may be treating the symptoms, rather than the disease, if we are able to determine a method to reduce the risk, or somehow make the symptoms more bearable, we shall have advanced human health understanding in no small measure. Being essentially altruistic in my outlook on this programme, I can see that positive conclusions could be easily transferable to societies where supply of drug-based treatments is limited or non-existant.

you should definately see if you can aquire a government grant to carry out your research. It will be well worth it.

EoinC said:
Every scientific experiment requires controls in place to empiricalise the data.
Course of action:
Guinea Pig (X) [that's me] does not have a cold - Guinea Pig (X) is to have lots and lots of sex over a long period of time to help determine if there is a relationship between having lots and lots of sex and preventing the onset of having a cold.
As this alone would not determine that the prevention was solely related to the grotesque quantities of sex that Guinea Pig (X) [that's still me] battled his way through, Guinea Pig (Y) [that's JH] will act as a control. Guinea Pig (Y) will have no sex over the same period of time to see whether not having sex can increase the risk of getting a cold.
If Guinea Pig (X) [yep, that's me] does get a cold whilst under the frequent sex programme, the experiment will move on to determine whether the cold symptoms can be repressed, or eliminated, by increasing the dosage of the preventative measures. This will be ramped up over a short period of time to the limits of human endurance [helluva hand, that Guinea Pig (X)].
In essence, whilst we may be treating the symptoms, rather than the disease, if we are able to determine a method to reduce the risk, or somehow make the symptoms more bearable, we shall have advanced human health understanding in no small measure. Being essentially altruistic in my outlook on this programme, I can see that positive conclusions could be easily transferable to societies where supply of drug-based treatments is limited or non-existant.

EoinC said:
Course of action:
My observation is this:-
Tropical sun will do this to a little Guinea Pig every/any day of the week, you realise that you may well become a little worn out Guinea Pig.....?

My question is this :-
Does mummy Guinea Pig know what she is up for in this experiment and will she cope with all this extra activity. Now, if she is a willing participant in this venture, can you afford the large quantity of flowers and chocolates that will be required as well, to smooth the path to Guinea Pig bliss/heaven ?

Extremely interesting concept, I must try this experiment, soon....!

EoinC said:
Course of action:

With my luck I will get stuck with the control group issued the placebo.
In the mean time I will continue my field research.
Another thought is that the cold virus may mutate and became resistant to the standard treatment requiring more drastic and radical treatments,as in varying the batch from which the dosage is derived.

ellno#1 said:
My observation is this:-
Tropical sun will do this to a little Guinea Pig every/any day of the week, you realise that you may well become a little worn out Guinea Pig.....?

My question is this :-
Does mummy Guinea Pig know what she is up for in this experiment and will she cope with all this extra activity. Now, if she is a willing participant in this venture, can you afford the large quantity of flowers and chocolates that will be required as well, to smooth the path to Guinea Pig bliss/heaven ?

Extremely interesting concept, I must try this experiment, soon....!
Daddy Guinea Pig (X) has no major problem with wearing himself in the interests of science. Unfortunately, Mummy Guinea Pig (Z) prefers diamonds and gold to flowers and chocolates. Where do I sign up for that Government Grant, MP? It's gonna have to be a big one.

EoinC said:
Course of action:
Your willingness to make this huge sacrifice,purely in the interest of scientific research,is to be applauded.
:)

USING FOODS INSTEAD OF DRUGS FOR HEALTH

NEW ITEMS THIS MONTH NEW FOR
MAY
Anti-AgingAllergiesArthritisAsthmaCancerColdsCommentsCookingCrohn's, Gastro, IBSDrug-Herb DangersDiabetesEpilepsyExerciseF.A.QsFoodsFOUNTAIN
OF YOUTH
Heart ProblemsHerbsLinksLosing WeightMenopauseMen's HealthNutrientsOsteoporosisOur BookPregnancyRecipesShoulder PainSoyThyroidVitaminsWomen's HealthTestimonialsPast IssuesSEARCH BY
SUBJECT

COLDS AND FLU back to Colds and Flu index

colds1.gif

Doctors Test Chicken Soup--Don't Laugh
Is this a laughing matter? We couldn't restrain a chuckle or two. In the medical journal Chest, vol. 118, 2000, a group of physicians* not only revealed that chicken soup worked on experimental cold symptoms--but actually came up with a list of brands that were graded for presumed effectiveness. And even more--they provided a recipe!

They also noted that it was an anti-inflammatory factor or factors from the chicken that caused cold symptoms. Popular belief is that cold symptoms are caused by the organism (bacteria or virus.) What they revealed is that the runny nose, the sneezing, the headaches, are caused by the body's attempt to fight the invader, not the invader itself.

Though they did not attempt to test aspirin as an anti-inflammatory remedy, it would seem that it too could be launched in the fight against colds. Yes, it sometimes is. But perhaps it could be taken even if a headache was not present?

They also found that the vegetables cooked with the soup also had cold symptom benefits, that is, separate from the chicken. Both together were of course, superior.

Store-bought chicken soup:
Listed in order of presumed effectiveness:

Knorr's Chicken Flavor Chicken Noodle
Campbell's Home Cookin' Chicken Vegetable
Campbell's Healthy Request Chicken Noodle
Lipton's Cup-o-soup, Chicken Noodle
Progresso Chicken Noodle.
Other brands, including some of Campbell's, were less effective.

Here's the recipe. More work of course, but you can cut the excessive use of salt found in store-bought types:

1 5-to 6-lb stewing hen or baking chicken,
1 package of chicken wings,
3 large onions,
l large sweet potato,
3 parsnips,
2 turnips,
11 to 12 large carrots,
5 to 6 celery stems,
1 bunch of parsley,
salt and pepper to taste.

Cover the chicken with cold water, and bring it to boiling. Add chicken wings, onions, sweet potato, parsnips, turnips and carrots. Boil about 1 1/2 hours, removing fat regularly. Add the parsley and celery. Cook all about 45 minutes longer. Remove the chicken, which is no longer used for the soup. Put the vegetables in a food processor until chopped fine or pass them through a strainer. Add salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

*Drs. B. Rennard, Ertl, Gossman, Robbins and S. I. Rennard.
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">

stevebaby said:
Your willingness to make this huge sacrifice,purely in the interest of scientific research,is to be applauded.
:)
Just doin' the best that I can.