Remember Legs And Co?

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
Does anyone remember them? Here is a curious thing: They had these girls dance the first time on TOP OF THE POPS and explained they needed a name for the all-girl-group. You had to send in your proposed name and the judges would select which name they preferred. That, then, would be the name of the group to replace PANS PEOPLE.
Well, I chose "Legs and co" but never sent off my nomination. Then, the next series of TOP OF THE POPS, they announced the name of the new female dance group. Yes, it was Legs and co. Weird huh?
Now, guys, tell me these ladies don't have the hottest legs you'll see. Here's an early pic of the dance group:

I suspect the first was Hot Gossip, followed by Pans People and then Legs And Co.
I found an old tape with recording from seventies radio which I was listening to. There was David Soul, Heatwave, Elvis (before he died) and Donna Summer. These were the tunes the ladies danced to often on Top Of The Pops. Even Abba were on the tape.
It's a shame how computer downloads have somehow knackered the old vinyl disks and the charts.

I checked the BBC website and found this

"To fill the gaps, they came up with the bright idea of using a troupe of dancing girls to act out an elaborate routine to the hit single.

Although the Go-Jos were the first group of dancers, it was Pan's People, masterminded by Flick Colby, who captured the imaginations of girls who wanted to be like them and boys and men who were just "appreciating the music".

Pan's People, who made their debut on the show in 1968 dancing to Tommy James And The Shondells' hit Mony Mony, stayed with the show for a decade.
Legs and Co replaced dance troupe Pans' People

They were briefly replaced by Ruby Flipper before morphing into Legs & Co and despite a more politically-correct group called Zoo, featuring men and women, the rise in music videos saw the iconic dancing groups shimmer off the stage for the last time in the early 1980s."

By the time of the new troupe's first appearance on Top of the Pops on 21 October 1976, dancing to the Average White Band's "Queen of My Soul", they had not come up with a name for themselves. For their first appearance, they were introduced as the "Top of the Pops" dancers, while their name was listed as "?????????" on the end credits of that edition. The BBC decided to allow the TOTP viewers to select a name for the new dance troupe via a competition promoted on the programme after the girls made their dancing debut, and the name "Legs & Co." was chosen as the successful name.
"During their tenure as the Top of the Pops dance troupe, Legs & Co. performed routines to songs of various musical styles. They interpreted songs by punk bands such as the Sex Pistols and The Clash who never appeared in the TOTP studio (although the Sex Pistols did eventually make a studio appearance when they reunited for the "Filthy Lucre" tour in 1996), and were often seen in routine to the disco tracks of the time. Controversially (at the time), Legs and Co. took on a punk look for a performance of "Pretty Vacant" by The Sex Pistols.
As well as their regular appearances on Top of the Pops, Legs & Co. appeared on other television programmes of the time, including Tiswas and Blue Peter. On the latter series, the troupe danced to Mike Oldfield's arrangement of the programme's theme tune."

hemplands said:
I checked the BBC website and found this

"To fill the gaps, they came up with the bright idea of using a troupe of dancing girls to act out an elaborate routine to the hit single.

Although the Go-Jos were the first group of dancers, it was Pan's People, masterminded by Flick Colby, who captured the imaginations of girls who wanted to be like them and boys and men who were just "appreciating the music".

Pan's People, who made their debut on the show in 1968 dancing to Tommy James And The Shondells' hit Mony Mony, stayed with the show for a decade.
Legs and Co replaced dance troupe Pans' People

They were briefly replaced by Ruby Flipper before morphing into Legs & Co and despite a more politically-correct group called Zoo, featuring men and women, the rise in music videos saw the iconic dancing groups shimmer off the stage for the last time in the early 1980s."

i remember watching them on TV when i was about 5. There was a funny feeling in my groin...first time i ever felt it..

Carrera said:
Does anyone remember them? Here is a curious thing: They had these girls dance the first time on TOP OF THE POPS and explained they needed a name for the all-girl-group. You had to send in your proposed name and the judges would select which name they preferred. That, then, would be the name of the group to replace PANS PEOPLE.
Well, I chose "Legs and co" but never sent off my nomination. Then, the next series of TOP OF THE POPS, they announced the name of the new female dance group. Yes, it was Legs and co. Weird huh?
Now, guys, tell me these ladies don't have the hottest legs you'll see. Here's an early pic of the dance group:

MountainPro said:
i remember watching them on TV when i was about 5. There was a funny feeling in my groin...first time i ever felt it..

Ok, we are going to need an absentee excuse and a hall pass for you to re-enter here.......plus some other good stuff that I haven't thought of yet.

moving house, moving job and by far the most stressful, moving broadband providers.

been without internet access for over 2 months...

its been a nightmare....things are back to normal now, what have i missed?

jhuskey said:
Ok, we are going to need an absentee excuse and a hall pass for you to re-enter here.......plus some other good stuff that I haven't thought of yet.

MountainPro said:
moving house, moving job and by far the most stressful, moving broadband providers.

been without internet access for over 2 months...

its been a nightmare....things are back to normal now, what have i missed?

Right off hand you have missed blah,blah,blah,blah..... and Oh yeah! Yeah!
Plus Flyer has returned,not really but a clone of such.
Lim has been quiet,CH is moving into a new house and I am about to go to dinner for Valentines Day. Got to keep the wife happy.
So I will try and remember what I have forgotten that I didn't know to start with and tell you later.
Happy Valentines Day!

here in the states, what did it for me was your most excellent cultural export,
the benny hill show and his bevy of bountiful bouncin' babes.
hail brittania.

MountainPro said:

lyotard said:
here in the states, what did it for me was your most excellent cultural export,
the benny hill show and his bevy of bountiful bouncin' babes.
hail brittania.
Yeah, they do all have nice legs. I would have loved this at the right age. Not sure if we have an equivalent over here. The closest might be some of the dancers on Soul Train.

The first time I saw the Benny Hill Show was at a friend's house when I was about 12. I found it fascinating, to say the least. I've enjoyed that type of humor ever since. Little Britain may be old news now, but I got a kick out of it.