Remember my Bran Muffin Query?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba'S Jammin, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Well, guess what! I found the All-Bran BUDS at Byerly's. Not
    cheap! Moe than $4 for a smallish box. The look like Grape
    Nuts but do mush up in liquid.

    I made half the recipe and the first 18 are in the oven as
    we speak. Looks like I'll get a good 4-5 dozen from the half
    batch. I'm thinking about adding some blueberries to the
    last of them. Maybe some walnuts, too. We'll see.

    Hah!! Saints preserve us!
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-5-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

    Tags:

  2. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > Well, guess what! I found the All-Bran BUDS at Byerly's.
    > Not cheap! Moe than $4 for a smallish box. The look like
    > Grape Nuts but do mush up in liquid.
    >
    > I made half the recipe and the first 18 are in the oven as
    > we speak. Looks like I'll get a good 4-5 dozen from the
    > half batch. I'm thinking about adding some blueberries to
    > the last of them. Maybe some walnuts, too. We'll see.
    >
    > Hah!! Saints preserve us!

    I vote for the walnuts or raisins. Blueberries will be
    overpowered by the bran, and a waste of good blueberries.

    Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

    1 1/4 C flour 1 egg, beaten 1 C rolled oats 1/2 C water
    1/2 C sugar 1/2 C oil 1 tsp baking powder 1 C
    blueberries (thawed)
    2/2 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp salt

    thoroughly mix dry ingredients in one bowl and egg, water,
    oil in another. stir egg mixture into dry just til mixed.
    add berries. bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes. sprinkle with
    cinnamon/sugar. makes about 12.

    Best regards, Bob

  3. Sportkite1

    Sportkite1 Guest

    >From: Melba's Jammin'

    >Well, guess what! I found the All-Bran BUDS at Byerly's.
    >Not cheap! Moe than $4 for a smallish box. The look like
    >Grape Nuts but do mush up in liquid.

    I realize that Bran Buds are different than raw bran, but
    Bob's Red Mill Wheat Bran sells for 1.45 for 12 oz. That may
    make a difference in your texture, but certainly nothing
    that couldn't be compensated by with toasted walnuts,
    blueberries and buttermilk. YUM!

    Ellen

  4. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:barbschaller-
    [email protected]:

    > Well, guess what! I found the All-Bran BUDS at Byerly's.
    > Not cheap! Moe than $4 for a smallish box. The look like
    > Grape Nuts but do mush up in liquid.
    >
    > I made half the recipe and the first 18 are in the oven as
    > we speak. Looks like I'll get a good 4-5 dozen from the
    > half batch. I'm thinking about adding some blueberries to
    > the last of them. Maybe some walnuts, too. We'll see.
    >
    > Hah!! Saints preserve us!

    I've had the best luck using dried bluberries or even need I
    say it "Dried Cranberries"

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I made half the recipe and the first 18 are in the oven as
    > we speak. Looks like I'll get a good 4-5 dozen from the
    > half batch. I'm thinking about adding some blueberries to
    > the last of them. Maybe some walnuts, too. We'll see.
    >
    > Hah!! Saints preserve us!

    OK, I lied. The half recipe made 2-1/2 dozen muffins. The
    healthfulness of the bran cereal must be offset by all the
    sugar therein. I never got around to the nuts and berries.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-5-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "Always in a jam, never in a stew;
    sometimes in a pickle."

  6. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >OK, I lied. The half recipe made 2-1/2 dozen muffins. The
    >healthfulness of the bran cereal must be offset by all the
    >sugar therein. I never got around to the nuts and berries.
    >
    >-Barb

    What, no twigs?

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  7. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <bar[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Well, guess what! I found the All-Bran BUDS at Byerly's.
    > Not cheap! Moe than $4 for a smallish box. The look like
    > Grape Nuts but do mush up in liquid.
    >
    > I made half the recipe and the first 18 are in the oven as
    > we speak. Looks like I'll get a good 4-5 dozen from the
    > half batch. I'm thinking about adding some blueberries to
    > the last of them. Maybe some walnuts, too. We'll see.
    >
    > Hah!! Saints preserve us!

    Oh for God's sake! You and the muffin man. Anyway, mail some
    out this way ;) I'm about to attempt a blackberry cobbler
    tomorrow using 2 big bags of frozen blackberries that found
    their way into the freezer. Wish me luck and any tips
    appreciated.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  8. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >> Well, guess what! I found the All-Bran BUDS at Byerly's.
    >> Not cheap! Moe than $4 for a smallish box. The look like
    >> Grape Nuts but do mush up in liquid.
    >>
    >> I made half the recipe and the first 18 are in the oven
    >> as we speak. Looks like I'll get a good 4-5 dozen from
    >> the half batch. I'm thinking about adding some
    >> blueberries to the last of them. Maybe some walnuts, too.
    >> We'll see.
    >>
    >> Hah!! Saints preserve us!
    >

    > I vote for the walnuts or raisins. Blueberries will be
    > overpowered by the bran, and a waste of good blueberries.
    (snip yummy recipe)
    > Bob

    Is it even blueberry season? Or is she talking about (gasp)
    frozen blueberries? Maybe she has preserved some
    blueberries, though, and not in jam form. We are talking
    about the Queen of canning :)

    Jill