"Remember that bicycle fit is a series of compromises."

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Alpha Beta, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha Beta

Alpha Beta Guest

I was reading Peter White's bicycle fitting guide (for DFs naturally.)
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

The most quoteable sentence is "Remember that a bicycle fit is a series of compromises."

After reading the article, I have come to the conclusions that on recumbents there are much fewer
    compromises. It seems so much simpler to fit a recumbent. On a recumbent.
    1. Make sure your bike is sized to accomodate your X-seam.
    2. Make sure you have the correct crank length (Which I think is very important.)
    3. Seat the seat distance.

I am have not listed the seat angle, because this is a matter of preference and is not critical.

For DF, it seems like you have to figure out all the trade-offs.

Tags:

2. On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 19:31:27 -0500, "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was reading Peter White's bicycle fitting guide (for DFs naturally.)
    >http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
    >
    >The most quoteable sentence is "Remember that a bicycle fit is a series of compromises."
    >
    >After reading the article, I have come to the conclusions that on recumbents there are much fewer
    >compromises.

But recumbent bike _design_ is all about compromises. You get wildly different designs if you choose
    different compromises for seat angle, seat and BB height, handlebar design, amount of heel
    interference, etc. Fitting a given recumbent may be easy, but choosing the right recumbent is hard!

Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

3. Alpha Beta

Alpha Beta Guest

When I read this newsgroup this is so true. It seems like everybody has two or three bents. I only
    have one though.

"Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Fitting a given recumbent may be easy, but choosing the right recumbent is hard!

4. Dj Blag

Dj Blag Guest

Yeah, especially compromising for ones rear end!! Chas ">
    > The most quoteable sentence is "Remember that a bicycle fit is a series
    of
    > compromises."

5. Al Kubeluis

Al Kubeluis Guest

Ho Ho Ho, Do we have snow. Rider needs to mold to bike. One bike is best strategy for this.
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

"Alpha Beta"
    > When I read this newsgroup this is so true. It seems like everybody has
    two
    > or three bents. I only have one though.
    >
    > "Ken Kobayashi"
    > > Fitting a given recumbent may be easy, but choosing the right recumbent is hard!
    > >

6. Al, that is a very interesting observation.

I always felt as if I was "molded into" the Lightning P-38. I am beginning to suspect that the
    Lightning P-38 still may be .... for me, that is .... the "fastest" bike. I was not really happy
    with the feeling I got on two test rides on the Bacchetta Aero and Vision R-64. Both are superb
    recumbents but neither gave me that "molded in" feeling I got on the P-38.

--
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ho Ho Ho, Do we have snow. Rider needs to mold to bike. One bike is best strategy for this.
    > ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~
    >
    > "Alpha Beta"
    > > When I read this newsgroup this is so true. It seems like everybody has
    > two
    > > or three bents. I only have one though.
    > >
    > > "Ken Kobayashi"
    > > > Fitting a given recumbent may be easy, but choosing the right recumbent is hard!
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    >

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.