"Remember that bicycle fit is a series of compromises."

Alpha Beta

Guest
I was reading Peter White's bicycle fitting guide (for DFs naturally.)
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

The most quoteable sentence is "Remember that a bicycle fit is a series of compromises."

After reading the article, I have come to the conclusions that on recumbents there are much fewer
compromises. It seems so much simpler to fit a recumbent. On a recumbent.
1. Make sure your bike is sized to accomodate your X-seam.
2. Make sure you have the correct crank length (Which I think is very important.)
3. Seat the seat distance.

I am have not listed the seat angle, because this is a matter of preference and is not critical.

For DF, it seems like you have to figure out all the trade-offs.

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 19:31:27 -0500, "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was reading Peter White's bicycle fitting guide (for DFs naturally.)
>http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
>
>The most quoteable sentence is "Remember that a bicycle fit is a series of compromises."
>
>After reading the article, I have come to the conclusions that on recumbents there are much fewer
>compromises.

But recumbent bike _design_ is all about compromises. You get wildly different designs if you choose
different compromises for seat angle, seat and BB height, handlebar design, amount of heel
interference, etc. Fitting a given recumbent may be easy, but choosing the right recumbent is hard!

When I read this newsgroup this is so true. It seems like everybody has two or three bents. I only
have one though.

"Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote
> Fitting a given recumbent may be easy, but choosing the right recumbent is hard!

Yeah, especially compromising for ones rear end!! Chas ">
> The most quoteable sentence is "Remember that a bicycle fit is a series
of
> compromises."

Ho Ho Ho, Do we have snow. Rider needs to mold to bike. One bike is best strategy for this.
~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

"Alpha Beta"
> When I read this newsgroup this is so true. It seems like everybody has
two
> or three bents. I only have one though.
>
> "Ken Kobayashi"
> > Fitting a given recumbent may be easy, but choosing the right recumbent is hard!

Al, that is a very interesting observation.

I always felt as if I was "molded into" the Lightning P-38. I am beginning to suspect that the
Lightning P-38 still may be .... for me, that is .... the "fastest" bike. I was not really happy
with the feeling I got on two test rides on the Bacchetta Aero and Vision R-64. Both are superb
recumbents but neither gave me that "molded in" feeling I got on the P-38.

--
news:[email protected]...