remove chain link

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by goodone, May 7, 2006.

  1. goodone

    goodone Guest

    Recently, I replaced my Tiagra long cage rear derailer with Dura ace
    7700-gs MEDIUM CAGE rear derailer, do I ned remove several chain links?
    The crankset is triple.

    Tags:

  2. Joe LoBuglio

    Joe LoBuglio Guest

    > Recently, I replaced my Tiagra long cage rear derailer with Dura ace
    > 7700-gs MEDIUM CAGE rear derailer, do I ned remove several chain
    > links?

    Looking at the directions for sizing a chain, the rear derailer is not
    involved, so if you haven't changed your rings or rear cluster, then
    you need not change you chain length:

    >From Sheldon Brown's site:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

    "The best technique for setting chain length is to thread the chain
    onto the large/large combination, without running it through the rear
    derailer. Mesh the two ends on to the large chainwheel so that they
    could be connected (outer link meets inner link), then make the chain
    one complete link (one inch) longer than that. In almost all cases,
    this will give the optimum length."

  3. goodone

    goodone Guest

    Thank you.

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 7 May 2006 08:14:03 -0700, "goodone" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Recently, I replaced my Tiagra long cage rear derailer with Dura ace
    >7700-gs MEDIUM CAGE rear derailer, do I ned remove several chain links?
    >The crankset is triple.

    If you didn't change the sprocket sizes at either the wheel or the
    cranks, and the new der is able to shift through the entire range
    without trouble, then nothing else *must* be changed.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.