Remove Lemond head tube badge, and those garish Reynolds decals.

Jaguarundi

Guest
How best to remove the clunky head tube badge on a new Lemond 2003 Victoire? The badge doesn't
even match the curvature of the head tube, but would be ugly even if it did. There are two raised
nubs on the badge along the centerline of the head tube. I was told the badge is glued on, and
that these nubs correspond to small pins which are fitted to holes in the head tube to assure
vertical alignment of the badge. The bike is painted dark pearl blue.

Any way to remove the two Reynolds decals? These seem to be *under* the clear coat (the main tube
decorations are on top). The one on the chain stay is on titanium with a clear coat but no paint;
the one on at the bottom of the seat tube is on top of a layer of the dark blue pearl paint.

Thanks.

Yes, The best way to remove the head badge is to melt the glue using a
butane torch. You may need to keep the badge under the heat for an
extended period of time for it to be fully effective. the same process
can also be used on the decals. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

Evan Evans wrote:

> Yes, The best way to remove the head badge is to melt the glue using a
> butane torch. You may need to keep the badge under the heat for an
> extended period of time for it to be fully effective. the same process
> can also be used on the decals. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

Open flame around plastics? Yikes! We use a "heat gun"
=1500W hair dryer for all types of head badges / stickers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Evan Evans wrote:
>
> > Yes, The best way to remove the head badge is to melt the glue using a
> > butane torch. You may need to keep the badge under the heat for an
> > extended period of time for it to be fully effective. the same process
> > can also be used on the decals. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

> Open flame around plastics? Yikes! We use a "heat gun"
> =1500W hair dryer for all types of head badges / stickers.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Hair dryer worked like a charm. There are two small plastic pins which do go into holes in the
head tube. The heat softened the glue, the badge came off in one piece. The remaining glue came
off easily (no solvents -- it pills like rubber cement). I taped over the holes for the time
being. Thanks.