Removing 2 part filler (Styrene type)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rudge, Apr 20, 2003.

  1. Rudge

    Rudge Guest

    I want to remove some of that 2 part filler that is used to fill dents in car bodies. It's in a hole
    in a plastic (nylon?) component. Is there an easily obtainable liquid that will soften the filler
    without damaging the plastic?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:58:30 +0100, "Rudge" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I want to remove some of that 2 part filler that is used to fill dents in car bodies. It's in a
    >hole in a plastic (nylon?) component. Is there an easily obtainable liquid that will soften the
    >filler without damaging the plastic?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Your best bet is mechanical removal. Chipping, sanding, grinding.

    Polystyrene resin ("Bondo") is not quickly affected by most common solvents. That is why it is a
    decent filler- paint solvents don't melt it very quickly. Lacquer solvent does affect it, but it
    takes soaking and hours or days.

    It *is* easily broken and chipped. If the part is nylon, the Bondo won't have a good bond, either.
    Go slow, maybe use a Dremel.