Removing a cluster without a freewheel tool?

Jules

Guest
Possible? Or am I wasting my time?

It's a plain-jane Shimano MTB hub ~ 2004, I presume the tool should be
reasonably easy to find. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(This faffing about is to replace a broken spoke, BTW)

Cheers,
Jules

Jules wrote:
> Possible? Or am I wasting my time?

You can improvise a chain whip easily enough, but the cassette inset
socket is a special tool. You can get a cheap one for around $15 I'd
guess at an LBS, cheaper online.

Bleve wrote:
> Jules wrote:
> > Possible? Or am I wasting my time?

> You can improvise a chain whip easily enough, but the cassette inset
> socket is a special tool. You can get a cheap one for around $15 I'd
> guess at an LBS, cheaper online.

I picked up a pack from my LBS that had both a chain-whip & a cassette
remover tool for only $20-to-25...

Cheers,
Abby

Bleve wrote:
> Jules wrote:
>> Possible? Or am I wasting my time?

> You can improvise a chain whip easily enough, but the cassette inset
> socket is a special tool. You can get a cheap one for around $15 I'd
> guess at an LBS, cheaper online.

The old screw-on cassettes needed a lot of force on that tool.
But modern freehubs ?
You may get away with using long-nose pliers, in a pinch.

Mike wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> > Jules wrote:
> >> Possible? Or am I wasting my time?

> > You can improvise a chain whip easily enough, but the cassette inset
> > socket is a special tool. You can get a cheap one for around $15 I'd
> > guess at an LBS, cheaper online.
> >

> The old screw-on cassettes needed a lot of force on that tool.
> But modern freehubs ?
> You may get away with using long-nose pliers, in a pinch.

Maybe, but often we have to push pretty hard to undo them.

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > The old screw-on cassettes needed a lot of force on that tool.
> > But modern freehubs ?
> > You may get away with using long-nose pliers, in a pinch.

> Maybe, but often we have to push pretty hard to undo them.

Someone's done 'em up too tight in the first place then!

Gemm

Gemma_k wrote:
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > > The old screw-on cassettes needed a lot of force on that tool.
> > > But modern freehubs ?
> > > You may get away with using long-nose pliers, in a pinch.

> > Maybe, but often we have to push pretty hard to undo them.
> >

> Someone's done 'em up too tight in the first place then!

Maybe.

But, if you're trying to undo one, it helps to not assume it'll be
loose to start with :)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:51:36 GMT, Jules <[email protected]> wrote:

>Possible? Or am I wasting my time?
>
>It's a plain-jane Shimano MTB hub ~ 2004, I presume the tool should be
>reasonably easy to find. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
>(This faffing about is to replace a broken spoke, BTW)
>
>Cheers,
> Jules

The Melbourne Bicycle Centre at 179 High Street Prahran did it for
free for me.

Mike wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
>
>> Jules wrote:
>>
>>> Possible? Or am I wasting my time?

>> You can improvise a chain whip easily enough, but the cassette inset
>> socket is a special tool. You can get a cheap one for around $15 I'd
>> guess at an LBS, cheaper online.
>>

> The old screw-on cassettes needed a lot of force on that tool.
> But modern freehubs ?
> You may get away with using long-nose pliers, in a pinch.

Meh! Freehubs? Undo the nuts on the axle and slide the whole hub off,
leaving the sprockets on the hub.

If it's a screw-on cluster, you're stuffed without the proper tool,
which as others have mentioned, will probably set you back about $15

--
BrettS

BrettS said:
<snip>

Meh! Freehubs? Undo the nuts on the axle and slide the whole hub off,
leaving the sprockets on the hub.

<snip>
--
BrettS

On what brand of hub? I've found that you often need special tools to remove freehub bodies. Sh!tmano have one & others require an 11 or 12mm allen key.

Bikesoiler said:
Sh!tmano have one & others require an 11 or 12mm allen key.

Me-ow! Think we were both eyeing up the Sram stuff at the Bicycling Australia Show. ;)

On 2006-10-17 15:37:29 +1000, "Gemma_k"
<[email protected]> said:
> Someone's done 'em up too tight in the first place then!

Isn't it self-tightening?