Removing a stuck seat post

sick_skater

Jul 27, 2004
Hello,
I am converting an old steel frame to a single speed but my greatest problem is that the seat post will not come out.
The frame is steel and the post is aluminum and i believe that the post and seat tube have bonded together though some kind of chemical reaction. The post has been stuck for about 10 years (i remember once before trying the put the seat up).

Any proven way of getting the post free?

I'm currenly spraying with WD-40 but don't think it will do anything.
Someone suggested heating up the seat tube.

Brett

Heat on a steel frame will make it expand. Not sure how it would effect the aluminium seat post. Wouldn't be surprised that after a while you would not mind scraficiing the post in getting it out.
With heat, you'll need a oxy/acet flame happening or maybe a camp stove flame?? Dunno. I previously used a arc welder & dabbed a spot of wlekd on the steel & it gave me the 0.5mm expansion to work.

Marx SS said:
Heat on a steel frame will make it expand. Not sure how it would effect the aluminium seat post. Wouldn't be surprised that after a while you would not mind scraficiing the post in getting it out.
With heat, you'll need a oxy/acet flame happening or maybe a camp stove flame?? Dunno. I previously used a arc welder & dabbed a spot of wlekd on the steel & it gave me the 0.5mm expansion to work.
Yeah, doesn't matter bout the post. Just need to the frame.
Mate of mine has a MSR camp stove, that might do the trick.

sick_skater said:
Hello,
I am converting an old steel frame to a single speed but my greatest problem is that the seat post will not come out.
The frame is steel and the post is aluminum and i believe that the post and seat tube have bonded together though some kind of chemical reaction. The post has been stuck for about 10 years (i remember once before trying the put the seat up).

Brett
Since you don't care about the post, you can (if the heat doesn't work and you *obviously* want to be extra careful with that), liberally spray Liquid Wrench (or similar agent; FWIW: WD 40 doesn't work for shite in situations such as this or as a lubricant), drill a hole in the post, stick a sturdy screwdriver/similar item(?) through the hole, and carefully try to twist the post/wiggle it. You could also use a wrench to grip the pipe if you have the grip ability. Anyway, I've done similar sort of things with similar situations (steel stuck in aluminum).

They can/do interact in such a way that anytime you have an interface of steel-aluminum you have to have them "lubed" properly (especially in the seatpost/seat-tube area). Phil Wood grease works just fine for this as do other products.

K.

sick_skater said:
Hello,
That's sort of a double-edged suggestion, because aluminum expands more and faster with heat than steel does. You need to work fairly quickly or heat expansion will lock the items together even more thoroughly than they are right now.

As usually is the case, Sheldon Brown has a good list of things to try:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

If you don't mind going to this trouble i think i may have an idea for you to try...take of your bottom bracket (BB) turn your bike upside-down and spray like crazy anti-seize oil or penetrating oil and leave it like that overnight...the seat post will come out,worth a try :eek: .
Dan

Banatean said:
take of your bottom bracket (BB) turn your bike upside-down and spray like crazy anti-seize oil or penetrating oil

If the seat tube has holes for a water bottle cage these might provide access to seat tube without having to remove the BB.

sick_skater said:
Hello,

Brett
Hey there
I used to work in a bike shop in S.A and encountered this prop a lot.Here are a couple of suggestions:
1:spray with a anti sieze spray ,leave over night,next day remove wheels and seat itself and clamp the seat post in a vice, with the bike upside down .thenask a mate for help and twist and pull the frame up, this usually works especially if you have strong mates.
2:strip your frame down and take it to a local engineering firm,they will cut it off at the base of the post and drill it out.
3:this one is very time consuming,cut the post off about 10cm from your frame and use a hacksaw blade to try to cut a line down the seat post.this will turn lossen ithe post abit then try step 1.
cheers

fr3d said:
Hey there
I used to work in a bike shop in S.A and encountered this prop a lot.Here are a couple of suggestions:
1:spray with a anti sieze spray ,leave over night,next day remove wheels and seat itself and clamp the seat post in a vice, with the bike upside down .thenask a mate for help and twist and pull the frame up, this usually works especially if you have strong mates.
2:strip your frame down and take it to a local engineering firm,they will cut it off at the base of the post and drill it out.
3:this one is very time consuming,cut the post off about 10cm from your frame and use a hacksaw blade to try to cut a line down the seat post.this will turn lossen ithe post abit then try step 1.
cheers
i'd suggest you try the take the bottom bracket off and fill it will a penetrating oil, turn it upside down and let it work through.

if you have access to a vice, then put the seat post in the vice and rotate the frame, since you will find that you have a greater leverage than with a spanner, use the headset to rotate the frame, though. wouldn't want you to bend anything.