Power meters · Public discussion

Removing axle from power tap

Started by russelldb · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,424 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
1 March 2007
Last activity
4 March 2007
Original author
russelldb
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,424
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,
    I read this article about making PowerTap into a track wheel. I don't want to go that far but I do want to remove the cassette body free hub and have a go at making it spin a bit more freely. I have a PowerTap Pro.

    So I follow the instructions and remove the drive side nut and cone and...well now what? The article reckons that I then "remove the axle" but is it meant to just slide out now? What about the nut on the none drive side? Have any of you done this procedure and do you have any tips?

    I'd appreciate any help at all.

    Cheers
    Russell

  2. I have two PT SL hubs (I've never owned a PT Pro), so hopefully my comments are still accurate. I have a Campy road bike, a Shimano 10 road bike, and a Shimano 9 TT bike. One hub is on an Open Pro rim while the other is on a Zipp 404--I use one for training and one for racing. Due to this setup, I often have to change the freehub body back and forth from Campy to Shimano.

    To answer your question, yes, you must remove the nuts from both drive and non-drive sides to remove the axle. First, remove the drive-side nut (like you did). Then remove the freehub body. Then remove the non-drive nut. Now the axle will slide out the drive side.

    Having said all that, based on what you said, you should already be able to remove the freehub body since you've removed the drive-side nut.

  3. The Pro axle is pressed in from the drive side. Remove the big aluminum nut on the non-drive side and tap it out gently with rubber mallet.

    kenglish said:

    I have two PT SL hubs (I've never owned a PT Pro), so hopefully my comments are still accurate. I have a Campy road bike, a Shimano 10 road bike, and a Shimano 9 TT bike. One hub is on an Open Pro rim while the other is on a Zipp 404--I use one for training and one for racing. Due to this setup, I often have to change the freehub body back and forth from Campy to Shimano.

    To answer your question, yes, you must remove the nuts from both drive and non-drive sides to remove the axle. First, remove the drive-side nut (like you did). Then remove the freehub body. Then remove the non-drive nut. Now the axle will slide out the drive side.

    Having said all that, based on what you said, you should already be able to remove the freehub body since you've removed the drive-side nut.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.